winter storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
Sam

Hi all,

Hard to believe, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the answer to the simple question:

What exaclty do I have to do to store my Scamp for the winter (up in NY State)? I've found answers to how to go winter camping, but not for storage. This is my first cold winter with my new Scamp, and I want to maintain its pristine condition.

Whta do I do with water lines, tanks, etc? Batteries? Anything else? Answers will be greatly appreciated.

-Sam
Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Go here and read this.It will help alot.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/winter.html
Old 11-17-2005, 12:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's also a topic going on in the Problem Solving Forum Water Header Bypass
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm going to add a couple more thoughts on this topic.

Sam, if your trailer will be stored outside all winter, give it a good wax job..again if necessary. The better the wax job, the easier the trailer will be to clean in the Spring.

After you've taken care of the water lines, water heater and put anti-freeze down the traps and a bit into the gray/black water tanks, open all the cupboard doors, take the cushions into the house (or stand them up on the sides to get air around as much of the surface as possible), then put at least one container and crystals of Dry-A-Air in the trailer. Make certain you put the container on a piece of plastic (plastic bag works well) otherwise if the water overflows (because you forgot to check!) the "water" may pit and spoil whatever surface it's placed on. (Ask me how I found out about that )

Also, because the idea is to draw the moisture out of the air, make certain the sink stopper is pushed in, or else you'll be drawing the moisture from the trap...do the same in the shower (if so equiped) and put the toilet seat and cover in the down position (okay you're a guy...maybe you wouldn't think to do this ).

If I do these things, my trailer is good to go for the winter months. I check the Dri-A-Air container every couple of weeks and dump out the water. Remember, if you don't do that often, all you're doing is recycling that moisture back into the air.

Here's an online link to Dri-A-Air Depending on your location it should be available locally at nearly any big box store like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I find I go through three bags of crystals in a winter. But, I also use two canisters, one in the sink and one on the floor up near the front.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
I have found that it reallly helps to put the DriZ-Air container inside of a plastic dishtub...catches any overflow! And the whole thing can be moved to the house to dump without any spills.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackie@Nov 18 2005, 10:54 AM
I have found that it reallly helps to put the DriZ-Air container inside of a plastic dishtub...catches any overflow! And the whole thing can be moved to the house to dump without any spills.
That sounds like a great idea. I was thinking of putting the Dri-Z-Air in the sink, but a dish pan or wash basin or plastic container sounds like a much better way to go.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 01:31 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The first time I used Driz air,I let it overflow into sink drain.That was a bad mistake.Over the winter the sink trap frooze and I had to make repairs in the spring.