Winterizing Scamp 13 single faucet - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Winterizing Scamp 13 single faucet

How much antifreeze do you guys use in your Scamp 13? I only have one line running to my faucet, no bathroom, hot water tanks, etc...

Old 10-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #2

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Well, our 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud with kitchen faucet, bathroom faucet, tub, and hand-held shower just took under 2 gallons today. You will probably only need one gallon, but I always have a spare just got in case.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
We have the same rig. One gallon is more than enough.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
We have the same rig. One gallon is more than enough.
Ok great, seems easy enough.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Oregon
Why is antifreeze needed? Can't you just drain the tanks?
BS
Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensrest View Post
Why is antifreeze needed? Can't you just drain the tanks?
BS
Even with draining, some water pockets can remain and do damage -- in traps, low spots in the piping, in the pump itself. You can use compressed air to blow everything out but for me its easier to use the antifreeze and flush the system in the spring. To be clear - use only RV water system anti-freeze, not the automotive variety.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Oregon
Thanks, David. I understand your response completely. Just for the record, I have never put antifreeze in any of my trailers if I could drain the tanks and lines, the reason being that water generally breaks pipes only when it cannot expand. Frozen water occupies a greater volume than its liquid counterpart, but so long as the freezing water is not confined as in a filled and closed pipe or tank, there is generally no problem.

Your mileage may vary, but that is the way I have always dealt with it and never have had a broken pipe.

BS
Old 10-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #8

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, David. I understand your response completely. Just for the record, I have never put antifreeze in any of my trailers if I could drain the tanks and lines, the reason being that water generally breaks pipes only when it cannot expand. Frozen water occupies a greater volume than its liquid counterpart, but so long as the freezing water is not confined as in a filled and closed pipe or tank, there is generally no problem.

Your mileage may vary, but that is the way I have always dealt with it and never have had a broken pipe.

BS
Its all has to do with LOCATION.

If I lived in Oregon I could probable get away without using anti freeze in my trailers system many winters just as I can here in Vancouver BC.

BUT all it takes is that one winter when the temps go down to freezing or lower and stay there for a number of days and all bets are off. Particularly in regards to water pumps & shower heads.

Can not tell you how many times I have gone out camping with friends on our first trip in the early spring and had one of them pop out of the trailer declaring they have a water leak at the water pump or the shower head. A water pump left without winterizing properly is more often than not the problem. To properly protect it you need to pump some anti freeze through it or blow air through the whole system as well as disconnect the lines to the pump and directly blow it out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #9

Vermont
Quote:

BS
Robert,
Some of us old engineers just can't shed the belts and suspenders redundancy approach to problem solving. The major value of the antifreeze may be for me to sleep better on a cold January night. Seriously, my biggest concern is water trapped in the pump internals with no room for expansion but your positive experience suggests it may be misplaced concern.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #10

New Jersey
Quote:
Robert,
Some of us old engineers just can't shed the belts and suspenders redundancy approach to problem solving. The major value of the antifreeze may be for me to sleep better on a cold January night. Seriously, my biggest concern is water trapped in the pump internals with no room for expansion but your positive experience suggests it may be misplaced concern.
The pump is the biggest concern for me too. It's a costly replacement so i don't think the $2.50 that I would save on the gallon of antifreeze is worth risking.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #11

Oregon
I really don't want to beat a moribund horse, especially since I am an old engineer living in Oregon and agree with everything that has been said. But my Scamp 13 (and I think the original poster's) has no pump and no shower head. The single conventional faucet connects only to the city water line. There is a hand pump that connects to the fresh water holding tank via a flexible plastic hose. There is basically nothing to contain water or break once the tanks and faucet/pump are drained.
BS
Old 10-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Seriously, my biggest concern is water trapped in the pump internals with no room for expansion but your positive experience suggests it may be misplaced concern.
I peek at the average low temp in Vermont in the winter months vs Oregon would suggest your concern is not at all misplaced ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Illinois
Winterizing

Before I Added an elect. water pump , I simply poured one cup of anti-freeze into the sink trap .

Tags
scamp