Wisconsin Travel Advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Late Sept/early Oct, you will increase your chance of seeing colorful foliage by going farther north to the U.P.

Bond Falls north of Watersmeet is one of the nicest waterfalls around. McLain State Park north of Houghton has campsites with great views of Lake Superior. The drive along the NW side of the Keweenaw Peninsula on M-26 is really picturesque...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MI picnic table.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	73772

...and it takes you to Fort Wilkins SP where you can walk around the old fort and see historic stuff.

Back to the SW, the municipal park at Ontonagon also has a few sites on the big lake. And just to the west is the Porcupine Mountains SP; the east unit has a spectacular view of Lake of the Clouds from a high escarpment (picture this in autumn!) ...

Name:	MI Lk of Clouds.jpg
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	73773

...while the west unit has trails along both sides of a river with 3 small waterfalls one after another.

Name:	MI falls8 tm tpz sm.jpg
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	73774

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
As long as we have jumped into Michigan, why not do Minnesota? I would recommend Duluth and camping downtown at the Lakehead Marina. They call it RV Parking because you camp on the asphalt lot used for winter boat storage. The bathrooms are dicy. It is all about location. Walk to downtown and all the attractions, watch the big lake boats come in under the ariel lift bridge, listen to the horns, bells and whistles of the boats, bridges and trains. It is a hoot.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2904.jpg  

Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Well if your going to Duluth, you're just about a hop, skip and a jump from some of the best wilderness paddling in the world. The Boundary Waters in N.E. Minnesota can't be beat. IMO.

I think we overwhelmed the O.P., Gayle. She hasn't checked back in 4 days. Or.... maybe it all sounded so good; she left early and is on her way.

Tom
Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #18

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Well if your going to Duluth, you're just about a hop, skip and a jump from some of the best wilderness paddling in the world. The Boundary Waters in N.E. Minnesota can't be beat. IMO.

I think we overwhelmed the O.P., Gayle. She hasn't checked back in 4 days. Or.... maybe it all sounded so good; she left early and is on her way.

Tom
It was officially 35 Deg F in Embarass Mn earlier this week and frost was reported in parts of the BWCA .Thank God for frost , nature's insecticide
Old 07-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #19

Michigan
I'll bet the Northern Pike are jumping into the canoes. I haven't been up there for a few years, but the Scamp will fix that. I love that whole area from the U.P. thru WI and into MN. Truly God's country!

Tom
Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #20

Name: Gayle
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper #85
Midwest
Hi All,

I have been reading all your helpful advice over the past several days. I am considering my options keeping in mind that I will only have a maximum of 15 days.

I ordered the Moon books for Wisconsin and Upper Peninsula Michigan. They should be here tomorrow so I will be able to spend the weekend traveling from my recliner.

Thanks to everyone!
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
As long as we have jumped into Michigan, why not do Minnesota? I would recommend Duluth and camping downtown at the Lakehead Marina. They call it RV Parking because you camp on the asphalt lot used for winter boat storage. The bathrooms are dicy. It is all about location. Walk to downtown and all the attractions, watch the big lake boats come in under the ariel lift bridge, listen to the horns, bells and whistles of the boats, bridges and trains. It is a hoot.
Does this marina parking area cost anything to camp in? I could hit this on my way to the north shore sometime.

Minnesota's shoreline is a trip all by itself.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #22

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
Oh gosh. Sorry for the above gibberish post! I must have stuck the phone in my pocket while still active. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #23

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandiwhne View Post
Oh gosh. Sorry for the above gibberish post! I must have stuck the phone in my pocket while still active. Lol

Now that's funny! I am new to the forum and thought it was an acronym I didn't know. I spent a few minutes trying to figure it out.

Tom
Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #24

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
Did ya come up with anything good? Lol

Old 07-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #25

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Mike send Alf S a PM about the Duluth marina camping he spent a night there just before arriving here delivering his now our Escape. He quite liked it.

Adrian

Old 07-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #26

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandiwhne View Post
Did ya come up with anything good? Lol

No I didn't, Brandi. I'll bet the code breakers at NSA got some overtime too.

Tom
Old 07-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #27

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
Lakehead Marina is expensive, I think their lowest price is $29/night. Reservations are recommended.

Their location is technically on Minnesota Point, a peninsula that juts between MN and WI. Being so close to downtown they can charge whatever they want.

It is small with only 30 sites. We arrived late, after the marina offices had closed, and our site number and directions were taped to the door. Their website has some photos, always the best views, of course. PM me if you would like some additional campground photos.

Their web site.