Wisconsin Travel Advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wisconsin Travel Advice

I have never been to Wisconsin and I am planning a two week trip in late Sept/early Oct to visit Wisconsin hoping to view some lovely fall foliage.

Areas I want to visit:
Wisconsin Dells
Door County
Maybe Marinette County to see waterfalls

How long do you think it takes to visit each location and what do you think are things you should not miss?

I will be traveling solo and I like to sightsee, shop and photograph. I enjoy boat tours, city tours, factory tours, beaches, waterfront areas, botanical gardens and parks with flowers.

I enjoy staying in state parks if they are near where I want to visit but I am also fine with commercial campgrounds as well.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Wisconsin
WI travel

If you're coming from the South, hit the dells first, then Door County, then swing West and get ham and bacon at Neuske's smokehouse, then head over to hwy 35 and follow the St. Croix River Valley South all the way to Prescott, head East for 11 miles to Ellsworth and get some Cheese Curds at the creamery and then head back West to 35 and follow South along the river. Beautiful views along Lake Pepin
WI_MT_NEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Peninsula State Park is a nice place to ride a bike around the trails, or walk the trails. They have a bike rental shop just outside the park entrance. See the lighthouse, also drive up to the top of the bluff.

I haven't been to the Dells, but I've heard it's pretty touristy and costs money to do stuff... which is probably why I haven't been there.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #4

Thanks Ron & Mike for the advice.

I want to go to the Dells mostly for curiosity. I have been to Branson, MO many, many times and I have heard the Dells compared to Branson and I would just like to see it.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Gayle, the Dells is a family friendly tourist destination. Many waterparks, resorts, water shows, etc. I go there annually for the sturgeon fishing with some friends.

If you've never been there, I would take one of the duck tours. Someone bought up quite a few of the military landing craft after WWII and converted them for touring the Dells. They're quite popular with the tourists. It's a good way to see the river and all the amazing rock formations.

The other attraction I would not miss is the Paul Bunyan's Restaurant. It's an all you can eat breakfast place. The food is great, so go hungry. Not for those on a diet! There is also a built-in gift shop for the shopper in you. Ask anyone in town for directions.

Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty - Wisconsin's Favorite Restaurant

Have fun in WI. It's a beautiful state, full of nice people.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #6

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
OMBRt u

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandiwhne View Post
OMBRt u

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Drawing a blank on this??

Tom
Old 07-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
The premier state parks in WI are Devils Lake, near the Dells. Peninsula near Fish Creek out in Door County, Gov Dodge near Dodgeville and Wyalusing near Prairie du Chien.

Personally, I prefer what we here in Wisconsin call the "North Woods". A pretty vague description of any area in the northern 1/3 of the state. My favorite is Northern Highland State Forest just north of Minocqua.

If you come across any of the state historical sites, take the opportunity to visit. They are spread across the state and are well presented for those so inclined. Their web site will give better details.

Dells - 1 day
Door County 2-3 days
"North Woods" 2 days
Mississippi River 2 days
Stopping at a place you like - 2 days
Travel - 2 days
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #9

Michigan
Gayle, one more tourist trap that claims to be one of the most popular places to visit is the "House on the Rock". It's located in the south central part of the state, west of Madison, and a little south of the Dells. It's almost impossible to describe. It started as a home built by an eccentric cab driver and as it grew, kept filling it with collections of weird things. It's an all day trip. Not a "Woodsy" experience as described by Paul, but a destination you won't soon forget.

I spent a couple years at Ft McCoy, WI, west of the Dells, and often cruised back roads enjoying the scenery. I was amazed how easy it was to find interesting things to see or do. Stay off the interstates, and you can't go wrong. The dairy farms in the southern half of the state look like postcards.

House On The Rock, Spring Green, Wisconsin
Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
If you're going to be in Wisconsin, you might as well take a swing through Michigan's U.P. MI has more lighthouses and golf courses than any other state. Then cross the straits and make a stop at the EggCamper factory in Grandville.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #11

Michigan
Fun Facts: Between the Upper and Lower Peninsula's of MI, there is more coastline than the entire Eastern Seaboard from Maine to Florida.

The longest straight line you could draw in MI without crossing a body of water, i.e.. lake, pond, river or stream is only 7 miles.

Tom
Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Hello Gayle,
I would suggest the Moon handbook on Wisconsin. It will give you a wide ranging, relatively unbiased tour of the state. He is a"sconnie" (Wisconsinite), so you have to take that into consideration.
Should be available from your library system. We like Devil's Lake, Copper Falls, Northern Highlands/ American Legion state forest, and the whole of Door county. Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Devils Lake SP, Brunet Island SP , Copper Falls SP ,Pattison SP ,Wyalusing SP
Peninsula SP are all good places to camp in Wisconsin . The UP of Michigan is a great place to visit and camp and the U.P. SP's are often less crowded then the Wisconsin SP's
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #14

Name: Rod
Trailer: 1984 Dolphin
Wisconsin
PM sent.
Ace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Late Sept/early Oct, you will increase your chance of seeing colorful foliage by going farther north to the U.P.

Bond Falls north of Watersmeet is one of the nicest waterfalls around. McLain State Park north of Houghton has campsites with great views of Lake Superior. The drive along the NW side of the Keweenaw Peninsula on M-26 is really picturesque...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MI picnic table.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	73772

...and it takes you to Fort Wilkins SP where you can walk around the old fort and see historic stuff.

Back to the SW, the municipal park at Ontonagon also has a few sites on the big lake. And just to the west is the Porcupine Mountains SP; the east unit has a spectacular view of Lake of the Clouds from a high escarpment (picture this in autumn!) ...

Name:	MI Lk of Clouds.jpg
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	73773

...while the west unit has trails along both sides of a river with 3 small waterfalls one after another.

Name:	MI falls8 tm tpz sm.jpg
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	73774
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
As long as we have jumped into Michigan, why not do Minnesota? I would recommend Duluth and camping downtown at the Lakehead Marina. They call it RV Parking because you camp on the asphalt lot used for winter boat storage. The bathrooms are dicy. It is all about location. Walk to downtown and all the attractions, watch the big lake boats come in under the ariel lift bridge, listen to the horns, bells and whistles of the boats, bridges and trains. It is a hoot.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2904.jpg  
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #17

Michigan
Well if your going to Duluth, you're just about a hop, skip and a jump from some of the best wilderness paddling in the world. The Boundary Waters in N.E. Minnesota can't be beat. IMO.

I think we overwhelmed the O.P., Gayle. She hasn't checked back in 4 days. Or.... maybe it all sounded so good; she left early and is on her way.

Tom
Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Well if your going to Duluth, you're just about a hop, skip and a jump from some of the best wilderness paddling in the world. The Boundary Waters in N.E. Minnesota can't be beat. IMO.

I think we overwhelmed the O.P., Gayle. She hasn't checked back in 4 days. Or.... maybe it all sounded so good; she left early and is on her way.

Tom
It was officially 35 Deg F in Embarass Mn earlier this week and frost was reported in parts of the BWCA .Thank God for frost , nature's insecticide
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #19

Michigan
I'll bet the Northern Pike are jumping into the canoes. I haven't been up there for a few years, but the Scamp will fix that. I love that whole area from the U.P. thru WI and into MN. Truly God's country!

Tom
Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #20

Hi All,

I have been reading all your helpful advice over the past several days. I am considering my options keeping in mind that I will only have a maximum of 15 days.

I ordered the Moon books for Wisconsin and Upper Peninsula Michigan. They should be here tomorrow so I will be able to spend the weekend traveling from my recliner.

Thanks to everyone!