With forced Closures comes more....... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #15
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Alexandria... we have a Bigfoot 25RQ with the winter package, and live in Iowa. We camp through the late fall, but the trailer goes into storage by mid-November every year... hopefully just ahead of the snow. While the trailer would do fine during most of the winter (and I have used a 15CB17 in the winter here) the larger problem is that there's nowhere to either fill or dump your tanks in winter country. All of the outside plumbing is winterized everywhere, and you can't get to any of the sewer dumps for the snow. AND, your trailer will do fine while stationary, but when you're on the road, the plumbing will freeze. And, of course, if you should happen to run out of propane in the early evening during a snowstorm, it's gonna be a really cold couple of days (and nights). Electric heaters are fine for keeping the chill off, but they really don't heat as well as the furnace in a Bigfoot.

I get around it by winterizing the plumbing, and then using a wash basin and water in jugs. I also have a port-potty which works nicely, but there are not showers, and it's really quite the PITA. Further, towing a trailer on icy/snow covered roadways is just plain risky. When I've towed in winter, it's been on dry pavement.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #16
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Hi Alexandria,

I might as well chime in with ideas, even though it sounds like you are trying to get off the coast to somewhere different, traveling north on the coast isn't so bad in the winter. Here in Washington 'locals' know going to the coast in the winter is one of the best times to go. In fact there is the 'storm watcher' crowd. Accommodations on the coast fill at holiday times. The Olympic National Park has beautiful rugged beaches and campgrounds open year round (Kalaloch for sure and I think Rialto also). Snow is very very rare on the coast, though the mountains can be beautiful to look at with fresh snow, and even rainy days (there is no denying it is rainy on the Washington coast in the winter) may have sun breaks and not EVERY day is a rainy day! There are places to go on rainy days, like the museum at Neah Bay. Further 'south' in Washington the Long Beach area has plenty to do on rainy days, and a great state park open year round (Cape Disappointment, named for Lewis and Clark's experience, not today's campers!). There are other state parks open year round along the coast, such as Grayland State Park, though there is less to do in that area on a bad beach day. WA State Parks

So there's my two cents - and what better place to spend the holidays than the Evergreen State where you'll be surrounded by Nature's Christmas trees!

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
thanks for the thoughts we are thinking about that direction still seeing how things are going to pan out down here our situation is very fluid at the moment.

Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote