Women travelling alone - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #41

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
I was so hoping to read a thread about women camping Solo...

Never felt the need to join a group of women for a fee. So hoped this thread was headed a different way as there is so very much experience single women could share. The good, the bad, the ugly and the funny. Just saying...
I was hoping that this thread would go there instead of where it actually went...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This topic was split off from http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post333379 when we veered from discussing the economics of full-timing to discussing the Sisters-on-the-Fly.

I was contemplating splitting off this thread's diversion as well but chose to keep intact, as it is an explanation of why a group of women who travel alone together collect fees from their membership, oddly veering back towards the original thread topic of affordability.

I try, and sometimes I just throw up my hands in surrender...
Cat herding is not my strong suit.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Cat herding is not my strong suit.
your way better at it than you think!!

Emily, the suggestion that you buy some sort of plan is a good on. I believe AAA like our BCAA has a plan that for a little extra it covers the trailer as well - includes the towing of the trailer in the event the car needs to be towed. Although I understand that some of had problems on that front in some states.

I travel on my own about 50% of my trips and I use to have a four legged companion but in the past 2 years I have been on my own. For most of my trips I have plans to meet up with someone I know at a certain location for part of the trip at least. Sometimes other single women sometimes other couples - many of whom I have meet through attending fiberglass trailer meets on the West coast.

The more times you haul on your own the better you get at keeping your self out of situations where you need to ask strangers to help you out. Although as others have said you will find traveling as a single women that complete strangers will keep a watchful eye on you and offer up help without even being asked.

An example of a situation I needed help with was when I was in a back into camp site that was on a slope at the front of the trailer. When I went to hook the trailer back up, I cranked the tongue jack all the way up but it still wasnt high enough to get the ball back under it. Not sure to this day how I manged to get it off to start with Needed to go to another campsite and ask a couple of people if they would mind coming over and helping lift the trailers tongue up by hand so I could put the wheel up on a block in order to hook back up. Now own a jack wheel holder that I always put on top of a couple of blocks if camped on a slop.

Photography is also one of my hobbies so I find I can keep myself pretty busy when staying at a location on my own as well. Spend the evenings processing photos taken that day or just enjoying the time to be able to just finish off a good book.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

An example of a situation I needed help with was when I was in a back into camp site that was on a sloop at the front of the trailer.
One or two masted?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #44

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I camp alone also, and enjoy the peace and relaxation. But I've made many friends online and we've met up in camgrounds for a weekend (such as this last fall, the Algonac group of eggsters). Usually there's a mix of couples and singles in the group. And I love retiring to my cozy little egg at night!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
One or two masted?

Francesca
Our perhaps its a three master! One of the pitfalls of using an iphone for this. LOL you would love how some of the text messages turn out!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #46

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
I have been an alone tent camper, hopefully will soon be a FG camper! Most of my experience has been National Forest primitive camping with no other campers around.

My husband joined me once, the first night I woke to find him sitting in the truck with his headlamp on and a flashlight, which came on as soon as he saw movement (it was me looking for him). He tried to tell me he was trying to get his ipod to work. He was scared of bears. The second night he sat out by the fire all night with a metal pan and a spoon, tapping every so often. Third night he came to bed and slept with his flashlight on his chest, his air horn in his hand, and his headlamp on his head. I was so proud of him for that. It was hard work for him. Maybe he will join sometimes with the camper.

Anyway, when tent camping alone with my dog Sebastian, I usually put a second pair of shoes outside the tent door and always set up two chairs. I have a favorite place that I like to camp and there is the occasional hiker or car explorer that come along. I just try to be smart. Not sure what habits I will adapt with the camper but it will be nice not to have to set up the tent or sleep in the car the first night. It is an 8 hour drive to my little haven and fatigue is becoming more of an issue as I age.

I am looking forward to venturing farther from home and for longer than 2 weeks at a time by taking my little home away from home with me.

Happy camping,

Cathy
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #47

Registry
Cathy, hopefully your husband will feel more comfortable camping in the trailer vs the tent. I have a camping buddy who's husband also isn't all that big on camping either. The good news is he isn't adverse to having her head out without him, but on the few occasions when he has joined us it always makes her happy.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #48

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Walking on eggs...

Not everyone is born to camping/Rving. As you may be able to tell from my postings on the Newfoundland Rally, I attempt to build a shared interest and excitement for our travels, looking for common interests and creating interests where there might not be any. Ginny often doesn't see future opportunties, part of my job is to prep her.

We had guests yesterday and they quizzed us on what we've learned. I said I've learned a lot about Ginny. When we started RVing 11 years ago I had known Ginny for 43 years. In our first years I began to learn all the things I didn't know about her. Was I blinded all those years by a too busy life? Certainly no longer.

This year we have told our 12 year old niece would take her on her first RVing experience. Since it will all be new to her it should be interesting but as well I will prep her with the trip by looking for things that might interest her and providing pre-trip info.

Many people can not see very far or the wonder of it all and need some measure of prodding or better yet introduction. Of course it also means being accommodating to some of their interests as well. It will take me some time to figure out the delights of a 12 year old, fortunately I have until August.

Sharing the RV life with Ginny,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #49

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Not everyone is born to camping/Rving. As you may be able to tell from my postings on the Newfoundland Rally, I attempt to build a shared interest and excitement for our travels, looking for common interests and creating interests where there might not be any. Ginny often doesn't see future opportunties, part of my job is to prep her.

We had guests yesterday and they quizzed us on what we've learned. I said I've learned a lot about Ginny. When we started RVing 11 years ago I had known Ginny for 43 years. In our first years I began to learn all the things I didn't know about her. Was I blinded all those years by a too busy life? Certainly no longer.

This year we have told our 12 year old niece would take her on her first RVing experience. Since it will all be new to her it should be interesting but as well I will prep her with the trip by looking for things that might interest her and providing pre-trip info.

Many people can not see very far or the wonder of it all and need some measure of prodding or better yet introduction. Of course it also means being accommodating to some of their interests as well. It will take me some time to figure out the delights of a 12 year old, fortunately I have until August.

Sharing the RV life with Ginny,

Where would we girls be without our men?

Wait- it's coming to me...:
Camping all by our girlyselves and lovin' the peace and quiet of it, that's where!

Also talking about it among ourselves, hint, hint....

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #50

Florida
Again Walking on Eggs

My point was that when traveling with someone who's new or isn't enamored with RVing or has limited vision of the possibilities, that it's possible to add to their enjoyment by helping them to see the opportunities.

This had nothing to do with the sex of either participant. I guess it's in the helping the other that both members can become better participants and have more enjoyment.

Certainly absolutely no intent to single out one sex over the other but to provide an example of how I believe either or both parties can enhance the experience, improve the shared experience..

It's in the looking for the good in all that things get better.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #51

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
Your niece is a lucky kid! I have a quasi-great-nephew, age ten, who is interested in Civil War history. I am so looking forward to taking him to Gettysburg when I get my trailer.

I also want to take my sister and brother-in-law on a little adventure. Sister loves tent camping; husband hates it. I think he'd really enjoy a little trailer, and it would be so great if they started to travel together.

I love seeing other people's worlds get bigger as mine does also. I think that's what you're talking about here -- right?
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #52

Florida
Yes

Right on Louise.

In helping each other grow, we all grow.

For myself, my life was too busy, by choice, when I was younger. Now with a lot more time and a little aged wisdom I'm spending more time sharing.

Of course Ginny was always good.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #53

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2100466878.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	52882

Couldn't resist
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #54

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post
Attachment 52882

Couldn't resist
woooo you didnt see all that many women out of their binders in that time frame to often.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #55

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Carol,
As I can see from this thread, most of us like it outside of our "binders" whatever, where ever, or whoever that might be.
You go girls!!
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #56

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Hi all, Francesca, Carol, Emily, Pam, Cathy, Ginny, and all the guys! I am so glad the forum turned around. Emily enjoy your trip to Ashville, it's wonderful. Triple A is always good idea for anybody traveling. There are other roadside help groups as well. You may choose oneday to go off road or a Forest service road alone...may have a flat...These groups won't help you in a case like that.
I am suggesting women learn to change a tire (on your trailer), if alone make sure you have a good spare tire, a jack, lugnut wrench and if that doesn't work, carry the magic "FIX-A-FLAT" HA! I have had two flats with a trailer thru the years on tiny untraveled gravel roads. This is if you want to be independant. If not, sit there and read a book, eat a candy bar and wait for the calvary. And on those type of roads, hope they have teeth, and no banjos.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #57

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Thanks Diane...I will take pics...so excited about this first trip!

Emily
pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #58

Florida
We carry a bottle jack because it's easier to use. Ginny and my niece were taught how to safely change a tire as were my boys. It's an important skill.

We also carry a tire repair kit and a small compressor. nice to have in the really far out places.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #59

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
bit off topic - if you carry a bottle jack, have a small aluminum or metal plate to put under it. It's not as big of a deal with these trailers, but i've dropped floor jacks clear through the shoulder of a hot road before.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #60

Florida
Jared,

Good point.

We carry four 1 foot long 2x6s as leveling blocks, each cut with one end cut on the diagonal. We use these as bottle jack support/base.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16