Women travelling alone - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #61

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Good advice Norm Ginny and Jarred, Bottle jacks & levelling block are a must.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #62

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I might also add that AAA will not tow RVs in some states. A better bet for road service would be either Good Sam or CoachNet.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #63

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I might also add that AAA will not tow RVs in some states. A better bet for road service would be either Good Sam or CoachNet.
Bob, your right that has been raised before here a few times. Best people check with AAA in regards to the states they are planning to travel in.

Someone traveling on their own might want to consider having a hook inside your trailer close to your sleeping area where you always hang your car keys so they can be easily reach so that you can hit the panic alarm for the car if you feel you need to raise attention of other campers.

For those women such as myself who tend to wonder off on their own to take photos etc. If you have a smart phone turn on the GPS location service. There have been a number of cases recently in my area were lost or hurt hikers have not been able to call out due to no service but they did dial 911 a few times and somehow those calls where noted at emergency services even though they didnt make voice contact with the caller. In other cases the party lost could not call out but they did manage to get one text message out to one of their contacts saying they needed help. But then they could not be contacted again either by text or voice in order to confirm their actual location. The parties needing help were located with the help of their cellphone companies even though the service in the area they were in was not strong enough for them to make voice or text.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #64

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
That is great advice, Carol. Thank you. This type of advice is one of the reasons I started reading this thread. Glad I stuck thru the earlier stuff. But, where did everyone go? I want to here more about your experiences, please.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #65

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Getting Lost and Recovering

I lost my bearings on an Alaska hike one day and have since looked into solutions.

A SPOT satellite system will keep track of your position and send out your position to people of your choice from just about anywhere on earth via satellite, paticularly valuable if you hike alone. Secondarilly it has a help button that can summon help to that location via the same satellite system.

Secondarilly, most smart phones has a very good GPS receiver. We plan to use this with an android 'Tracks' app that keeps track of our hikes, marking our route on it's map. One can than use the phone to reverse the route, like pushing home on your auto GPS.

SPOT is great when you are trully out of phone service like Labrador and parts of Alaska and become injured on a hike. Tracks is great to find your way home when you're in good shape.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #66

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Secondarilly, most smart phones has a very good GPS receiver. We plan to use this with an android 'Tracks' app that keeps track of our hikes, marking our route on it's map. One can than use the phone to reverse the route, like pushing home on your auto GPS.

I use a free app call MapDroyd on my smart phone. You download the maps state by state (or province) to your SD card, so you can use the GPS positioning with no cell phone service. It also includes points of interest in the data set.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #67

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
A SPOT satellite system will keep track of your position and send out your position to people of your choice from just about anywhere on earth via satellite, paticularly valuable if you hike alone. Secondarilly it has a help button that can summon help to that location via the same satellite system. .
Sadly SPOT now requires you to pay $99 a year for the basic functions to work and $150 if you want it to do everything it can.

They are a great tool to have and are used a lot by people who go back country skiing here in BC. Only problem is that they have become a little bit of an announce to Search and Rescue & Parks people, due to people mistakenly or purposely sending out the Help message when it really wasnt needed. Had one of our local SAR's guys tell me that last winter he and 4 others put themselves at great risk to hike up at night into area that was extremely difficult due to heavy snow and steep cliffs. When they got to the party who had triggered the SPOT it turned out they only wanted someone to give them a current avalanche condition update! Had a park ranger tell me that someone set theirs off because they wanted the ranger to bring more fire wood. Idiot's are turning what was a great tool into a much despised item by SARS groups and Forest Rangers .
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #68

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Sadly SPOT now requires you to pay $99 a year for the basic functions to work and $150 if you want it to do everything it can. ...........
No way would I pay $99 to save my life.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #69

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
No way would I pay $99 to save my life.
But your worth it Tom! Sadly a lot of people who should be using it are not due to the cost issue - originally you didnt need to pay for the service or I seem to think it was much less.

Currently have a family member who was with a couple of friends dropped off by helicopter yesterday on top of a northern/east mountain were they will spend the next 10 days skiing and sleeping on beore finding their own way off the mountain. They also feel they are worth the cost!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #70

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I was surprised to hear of the added fee. This looks to be brand specific. Searching google for beacons will give you other reliable brands that are fee free. REI and MEC are good places to look too.

I've back country camped on the North side of Vancouver's North Shore mountains. Back then you could get a lengthy parking permit at a local mountain that also served as a document of your expected return date. Beacons could be rented so you can bypass the $300-$500 initial cost and (now) the annual fee. I think it was $35 for a week.

Linking the topic back to RVing, If one was to boondock and/or hike in a remote area a short term rental would be worth looking into.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #71

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Spot costs $99 at REI plus $100 for a years use about $8 a month. At the time we purchased for $7 we received

Gladly we never needed it but used it every day. We would let people know where we were at least each day linking them via google earth. People and students enjoyed visually 'traveling thru Labrador' with us. Ginnybfelt more confident and others enjoyed labrador.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #72

Registry
Mark, your correct none of the back country GPS beacons or avalanche beacons such as Pieps or Ortivox require a subscription to their service. Spot is a little different though in that it is actually a Messaging Beacon. It will send out messages without the need for a phone service to friends or directly to SARs rescue center asking for help and giving your location which the Peps and Ortivox dont do, they will only send out a signal so you can be located if someone reports you or you report yourself lost.

The car in the parking lot after hours without a note in the window indicating when the owner is expected to return is still one of the most frequent ways on the NS that people do get reported missing.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #73

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
The sad thing is that the note in the window is also a beacon for vandalism which is on the increase at trail head parking. Rangers in our southern areas are advising hikers (group or single) to file a hike plan with the ranger's office as well as give copies to at least 2 friends or relatives. In the Smokies some of the trail heads have signs posted because of the increase in vehicle break-in's and they don't have the manpower to monitor the lots 24-7.

I tell my daughter and GrandMonkey all the time that we shouldn't be afraid to venture out, but women need to be smart about their surroundings.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #74

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
Rangers in our southern areas are advising hikers (group or single) to file a hike plan with the ranger's office as well as give copies to at least 2 friends or relatives.
Good plan and what they suggest you do here as well. Sadly people often dont. When my partner heads off into the back country for a day or multi day trip they leave photo copies of topo maps with markings on it to show where they plan to go and what day and time they will be back. If they dont text me by the set time the standing orders are to advise SARS right away.

They also are wearing a Ortovex/Pieps type beacon & carrying a separate GPS system that doesnt need phone coverage to work, as well as a lot of other equipment for snow testing and avalanche self rescue, as is everyone they are with - they will not take anyone with them that doesnt have the same equipment & have been formally trained on how to use it.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #75

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
This thread sure is having trouble sticking to the main topic.

You could leave a note in your car saying your plan is filed at the nearest ranger station, or with a phone number to a friend who has it. No need to say when you will be back.

Back to topic, though. I've camped alone but mainly in transit from here to there. I'd enjoy camping with a group of women (have plans with a friend soon) but it depends. Definitely no SOTF if dogs aren't allowed. I feel plenty safe in a campground with other people around, especially after my fiercest corgi growls at a few of the shadier characters (in his opinion that includes all men.) But it is nice to have company to cook with and chat with and walk with. But I also don't have any problem backing my trailer or hitching it up or changing a tire.

I really like the idea of the keys as alarm- now that I have a car that has an alarm. I think an air horn in the trailer wouldn't be a bad idea, either.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #76

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I love camping alone. Some of my favorite adventures have been solo, though I really enjoy when the man comes along too! I also do a lot of all-day biking and hikes alone, too....hmmm, might be a pattern here.

The only thing that gets tiresome is when people exclaim in astonishment that my husband, "allows" me to do this. Not enough rolly eyes.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #77

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
The only thing that gets tiresome is when people exclaim in astonishment that my husband, "allows" me to do this. Not enough rolly eyes.
Yeah....as if.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #78

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Was glad I had the Scamp last summer when, camping my 15-pound dog who has an ear-piercing bark, I had an early morning visitor to my campsite. I think, between me yelling and the dog barking, we scared this little one up the tree. Took him/her about 3-4 minutes to climb down and amble away.

Learning to back up the Scamp has been the best, most freeing thing for me camping solo. Now I don't feel like I have to ask for help coming into camp. Will just have to see how much I retain the skill over the winter with no practice.
Attached Thumbnails
bear57.jpg  
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #79

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
The only thing that gets tiresome is when people exclaim in astonishment that my husband, "allows" me to do this..
Yup hear it a lot!! LOL as if they could stop us! LOL
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #80

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Aside from a standard assortment of tools, are there any particular tools/supplies you have wished you had or now carry because you camp alone?
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote