Women travelling alone - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #57

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Thanks Diane...I will take pics...so excited about this first trip!

Emily

Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #58

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We carry a bottle jack because it's easier to use. Ginny and my niece were taught how to safely change a tire as were my boys. It's an important skill.

We also carry a tire repair kit and a small compressor. nice to have in the really far out places.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #59

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
bit off topic - if you carry a bottle jack, have a small aluminum or metal plate to put under it. It's not as big of a deal with these trailers, but i've dropped floor jacks clear through the shoulder of a hot road before.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #60

Florida
Jared,

Good point.

We carry four 1 foot long 2x6s as leveling blocks, each cut with one end cut on the diagonal. We use these as bottle jack support/base.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #61

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Good advice Norm Ginny and Jarred, Bottle jacks & levelling block are a must.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #62

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
I might also add that AAA will not tow RVs in some states. A better bet for road service would be either Good Sam or CoachNet.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #63

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I might also add that AAA will not tow RVs in some states. A better bet for road service would be either Good Sam or CoachNet.
Bob, your right that has been raised before here a few times. Best people check with AAA in regards to the states they are planning to travel in.

Someone traveling on their own might want to consider having a hook inside your trailer close to your sleeping area where you always hang your car keys so they can be easily reach so that you can hit the panic alarm for the car if you feel you need to raise attention of other campers.

For those women such as myself who tend to wonder off on their own to take photos etc. If you have a smart phone turn on the GPS location service. There have been a number of cases recently in my area were lost or hurt hikers have not been able to call out due to no service but they did dial 911 a few times and somehow those calls where noted at emergency services even though they didnt make voice contact with the caller. In other cases the party lost could not call out but they did manage to get one text message out to one of their contacts saying they needed help. But then they could not be contacted again either by text or voice in order to confirm their actual location. The parties needing help were located with the help of their cellphone companies even though the service in the area they were in was not strong enough for them to make voice or text.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #64

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
That is great advice, Carol. Thank you. This type of advice is one of the reasons I started reading this thread. Glad I stuck thru the earlier stuff. But, where did everyone go? I want to here more about your experiences, please.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #65

Florida
Getting Lost and Recovering

I lost my bearings on an Alaska hike one day and have since looked into solutions.

A SPOT satellite system will keep track of your position and send out your position to people of your choice from just about anywhere on earth via satellite, paticularly valuable if you hike alone. Secondarilly it has a help button that can summon help to that location via the same satellite system.

Secondarilly, most smart phones has a very good GPS receiver. We plan to use this with an android 'Tracks' app that keeps track of our hikes, marking our route on it's map. One can than use the phone to reverse the route, like pushing home on your auto GPS.

SPOT is great when you are trully out of phone service like Labrador and parts of Alaska and become injured on a hike. Tracks is great to find your way home when you're in good shape.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #66

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Secondarilly, most smart phones has a very good GPS receiver. We plan to use this with an android 'Tracks' app that keeps track of our hikes, marking our route on it's map. One can than use the phone to reverse the route, like pushing home on your auto GPS.

I use a free app call MapDroyd on my smart phone. You download the maps state by state (or province) to your SD card, so you can use the GPS positioning with no cell phone service. It also includes points of interest in the data set.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #67

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
A SPOT satellite system will keep track of your position and send out your position to people of your choice from just about anywhere on earth via satellite, paticularly valuable if you hike alone. Secondarilly it has a help button that can summon help to that location via the same satellite system. .
Sadly SPOT now requires you to pay $99 a year for the basic functions to work and $150 if you want it to do everything it can.

They are a great tool to have and are used a lot by people who go back country skiing here in BC. Only problem is that they have become a little bit of an announce to Search and Rescue & Parks people, due to people mistakenly or purposely sending out the Help message when it really wasnt needed. Had one of our local SAR's guys tell me that last winter he and 4 others put themselves at great risk to hike up at night into area that was extremely difficult due to heavy snow and steep cliffs. When they got to the party who had triggered the SPOT it turned out they only wanted someone to give them a current avalanche condition update! Had a park ranger tell me that someone set theirs off because they wanted the ranger to bring more fire wood. Idiot's are turning what was a great tool into a much despised item by SARS groups and Forest Rangers .
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #68

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Sadly SPOT now requires you to pay $99 a year for the basic functions to work and $150 if you want it to do everything it can. ...........
No way would I pay $99 to save my life.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #69

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
No way would I pay $99 to save my life.
But your worth it Tom! Sadly a lot of people who should be using it are not due to the cost issue - originally you didnt need to pay for the service or I seem to think it was much less.

Currently have a family member who was with a couple of friends dropped off by helicopter yesterday on top of a northern/east mountain were they will spend the next 10 days skiing and sleeping on beore finding their own way off the mountain. They also feel they are worth the cost!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #70

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I was surprised to hear of the added fee. This looks to be brand specific. Searching google for beacons will give you other reliable brands that are fee free. REI and MEC are good places to look too.

I've back country camped on the North side of Vancouver's North Shore mountains. Back then you could get a lengthy parking permit at a local mountain that also served as a document of your expected return date. Beacons could be rented so you can bypass the $300-$500 initial cost and (now) the annual fee. I think it was $35 for a week.

Linking the topic back to RVing, If one was to boondock and/or hike in a remote area a short term rental would be worth looking into.

(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote