Women travelling alone - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #81

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I guess I may have already mentioned the fact that I have been camping solo for many years. Until I bought my 13' Trillium, about 25 years ago, I had never towed (or backed) a trailer. I was not a 'young' woman at that time......and I'm even a less 'young' woman now.

You have to use your head when travelling alone....Be aware of your surroundings...and error on the side of caution sometimes. Think through what you want to do, where you want to go. Then do it! You can't live your life afraid of what 'might' happen.

Don't let a new experience scare you off. You will conquer new skills, meet wonderful people and stretch your mind.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #82

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Well said Noreen.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #83

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Aside from a standard assortment of tools, are there any particular tools/supplies you have wished you had or now carry because you camp alone?
I carry a few things that I didnt carry a first but purchased after one event or another that required me to ask strangers for help.

1) folding step - need it to be able to reach right up to my awning - which every once in awhile give me a hard time and I need to be able to reach up and open the top awning cover up to sort it out.

2) leveling blocks - to put under the front jack wheel to stop it from sinking into gravel or for when the trailer is parked at a top of a hill and you get it unhooked ok but when you go to hook back up you cant crank up high enough to get it onto the ball. Need to ask someone to help lift the tongue to get it on the ball if you dont use leveling blocks under the wheel.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #84

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
2) leveling blocks - to put under the front jack wheel to stop it from sinking into gravel or for when the trailer is parked at a top of a hill and you get it unhooked ok but when you go to hook back up you cant crank up high enough to get it onto the ball. Need to ask someone to help lift the tongue to get it on the ball if you dont use leveling blocks under the wheel.
Can't be emphasized enuf for solos of both sexes. Always saves trouble to keep some elevation reserve in your tongue jack (baulk of wood, multiple pads of dimension lumber, concrete block, etc. placed under your tongue jack foot before jacking coupler off the ball) or (for when you forget) have a method of counter-jacking (using a secondary wheel jack or jackstands to hold tongue weight while the tongue jack foot is raised free of ground and the forgotten "elevator shoes" placed. Men and women who can pick up 250-300lb tongue weight even a couple of inches without injury are pretty thin on the ground so thinking ahead about this possible hitch glitch is important when dealing with our fiberglass campers over 13' in length.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote