Women travelling alone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac
Women travelling alone

Ok, here are a bunch of links on single women RVers, their clubs, etc. if you are going to fulltime you might check the escapees webpage. They have subgroups and I know have a singles sub group.

single women rvers - Google Search
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Donna, said, " I keep thinking there is a group of women out there travelling together and I just need to find them.... I am sure you guys are my tribe. peace Donn"
Here is a link to Sisters on the Fly a cool looking bunch of women who RV together and their vintage trailers are pretty great.

Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

Here is a much better link to the Sisters on the Fly web site. Photo Gallery (Click on CARAVAN TRAILERS). The web site wasn't working when I sent the previous post about them. Their trailers are a hoot.
Cheers John
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris127 View Post
I keep thinking there is a group of women out there travelling together and I just need to find them.... I am sure you guys are my tribe. peace Donna
Donna, I would suggest that one of the first things you should do is attend a fiberglass trailer rally in your area. There are a lot more single women pulling trailers out there than what you may think. At our BC meets roughly 20/25% of those who attend are females who own their own trailers. Thats how I got hooked up with a group of about 12 women who camp together regularly and sometimes travel together in smaller numbers. If you dont know how to fix something its a good bet someone in the group does and will have the tool to fix it with them and they know how to use it. Our little group has on more than one occasion helped out a male camper in distress over a trailer problem they have as well.

Should warn you though there are pit falls to meeting up in groups as females. The stuff you need to bring on such group outings tends to get a little out of control in order to keep up with the elaborate lighting and camp table place settings etc. The occasional tow upgrade has been known to be need in order to haul all the extras.

Unlike the "Sisters" our little group doesnt have numbers or graphics on our trailers but there are other clues that you have found us if you ever head out to the Pacific Northwest on either side of the border. If you see a group of 7 or more fiberglass trailers all in the same camp ground and some of the owners are wearing somewhat unconventional camping foot wear its a good bet you have found us. Below is a sample of what to look for. This was the footwear of choose during a rain storm and the group was keeping a watchful eye out for a problem bear in the campground
Attached Thumbnails
small photo (7).jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Thanks John...did you know they charge 60.00 yearly membership? Photos are great!

M
pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
LOL love the camping shoes Carol
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
LOL love the camping shoes Carol
Greg, appropriate footwear is a required trailer item
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #8

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageleigh View Post
Thanks John...did you know they charge 60.00 yearly membership? Photos are great!

M
I did notice that and wondered about it. I don't like to join groups for the most part (not that they would take ME), but maybe it is not too much for someone who would get a lot out of joining such a group. And yet didn't I see they had around 3000 members? $60 x 3,000 = $180,000. Maybe I should start a club!

Cheers Johnnie - your "sister" with a beard
Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #9

Registry
Emily, the fee is to cover their overhead costs of organizing the meet ups. They need to pay for their web service for one thing but I suspect they are also required as most meet up type groups do to carry liability insurance as well. Unfortunately we living in a world where its best for anyone who organizes meet ups to carry liability insurance. Over the past year I have attended a few trailer meets where each trailer had to pay up to $20 to cover the insurance costs to the organizers. Becoming pretty common when the meets are held a private campgrounds or fairgrounds as the owners of the facility make it a requirement for using their facility.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #10

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
I know someone who was an early member of SOTF and the membership fee became an issue when it wasnt explained where the money was going. They have several rules that would keep me away. NO PETS....they are a fun group to visit if you find them rallying near you.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
They have several rules that would keep me away. NO PETS.....
No husbands, boyfriends or children either.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Love the shoes Carol........

And they say my bling flip flops are a lil too much for camping! LOL!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
... I suspect they are also required as most meet up type groups do to carry liability insurance as well. Unfortunately we living in a world where its best for anyone who organizes meet ups to carry liability insurance.
This has been an issue for several years at the Oregon Gatherings.

I filled in for Nancy one year in organizing the Oregon Gathering in July. I acted as a liaison with the Oregon Parks Ranger at Bullard's Beach State Park. Nancy had been negotiating waivers of their Liability Insurance requirements which were quite steep... I seem to remember a figure in the neighborhood of $500,000.00 coverage needed for each site occupied by a gathering participant. I have no idea what the premium on that would be for a 4 day gathering of more than 100 sites. Paid in advance, of course.

We have been getting waivers, but the ranger said that at some point he won't be allowed to grant them anymore by his supervisors.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This has been an issue for several years at the Oregon Gatherings.

I filled in for Nancy one year in organizing the Oregon Gathering in July. I acted as a liaison with the Oregon Parks Ranger at Bullard's Beach State Park. Nancy had been negotiating waivers of their Liability Insurance requirements which were quite steep... I seem to remember a figure in the neighborhood of $500,000.00 coverage needed for each site occupied by a gathering participant. I have no idea what the premium on that would be for a 4 day gathering of more than 100 sites. Paid in advance, of course.

We have been getting waivers, but the ranger said that at some point he won't be allowed to grant them anymore by his supervisors.
OK, I will show my ignorance. What is the purpose of this ins.? Why does a group need it and a single RVer doesn't?
Cheers John
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
What is the purpose of this ins.? Why does a group need it and a single RVer doesn't?
Cheers John
I do not know the answer to that. But I do know that this issue of the legal definition of "group" vs. the legal definition of "individuals" was the basis of Nancy's being granted the waivers... She defined "The Oregon Gathering" as 250 individuals (more or less) who just happened to camp in the same place at the same time every year. While the activities may have looked organized, we aren't an organization.

On the other hand, "Sisters on the Fly" is an organization.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #16

Registry
Frederick its the reason why when ever the topic of what goes into organizing a meet comes up I suggest that meet organizers if at all possible stick to state/provincial parks and dont try and negotiate any special deals with the rangers or special usage deals. Instead make it appear to the Rangers that it really is just a "Meet-up" group and not an organized event hosted/run by any one party or group of people. Best to keep the organized part of the meet as low profile as possible.

If you rent a full facility as we do in BC the owners insurance company will down load the liability to the meet organizer & they will tell you that when you book the campground. This rings true on both sides of the border. I actually had a little lecture from or local police on this topic after an incident at one our meets. Unfortunately I haven't nor has the local Tin Can group been able to find insurance to cover the trailer meets here in the North at anywhere near as cheap as it can be obtained south of us. The last time I checked it would have worked out to about $30 a trailer to get 70 trailers covered.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
OK, I will show my ignorance. What is the purpose of this ins.? Why does a group need it and a single RVer doesn't?
Cheers John
John, my understanding of the issue is that anytime you have a large group of people gathering together in a social atmosphere the odds of something not so great happening increase well over what happens in a campground were no one knows anyone else in the campground and are less social. Having organized a number of large meets and attend a more than a few others, my observation is there may be more than a little truth to that assumption. As a result the campgrounds insurance companies want that increase in risk to be downloaded to the meet organizer.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One of the reasons, a BIG reason, I often refer to the Northern Oregon Gatherings as Not Organized Gatherings. Love ya all, but cannot afford to take on ANY of the liability. If we should ever need to "rent" a hall or meeting area... everyone would chip in to pay for it... in cash.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
(n 11 years of RV rallies I have never heard of such a thing. One does not buy liability insurance when you rent a hall for a wedding or event.

It seems like people, either campground owners or insurance agencies seeking a revenue source.

Basically another tax of sorts.... one that will reduce the probability of an event occuring

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
(n 11 years of RV rallies I have never heard of such a thing. One does not buy liability insurance when you rent a hall for a wedding or event.
Norm it has only really become an issue for trailer meet organizer here on the west coast in the last few years. Have you ever paid something called a meet fee? if so it was probable used in part to pay the insurance costs.

In regards to renting halls, when you rent them you have to sign a long contract - or at least the ones I have rented require it. The owners of the hall normally carry an insurance policy that covers them for social events such as dances and weddings etc. but most campground owners or state parks dont have coverage for such social events. In the case of a hall rental you can be sure the cost of the insurance rider is built into your rental fee and in some cases such as the last one I did the hall owners takes a the rider out on your behalf - all in the contact.