Wonder what is wrong with this Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Wow, and I thought that Canada was supposed to be the domain of excess government.
I mean, I get it. Trailer theft is a bad thing. It should be discouraged as much as possible, but this just sounds kinda draconian.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #16

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Well...California is one thing, but here in the U.S. there are sometimes different rules.
For instance a vehicle or trailer which is not used on public roads and is kept on private property doesn't require registration.
When it's time to use it on public roads, registration is required and a title must be ordered to get registration (license plates).
That varies by locality, as well -- local laws often override that. In our county, and several surrounding counties, all vehicles must be kept current on their plates and registration, even if they are never moved. An exception is given for mobile homes IF they are anchored to the ground.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Did you write the original screen play of "Ground Hog Day" and get Bill Murray to play in your stead? Kinda of eery
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
........ That trailer has been for sale three times in as many months and I looked at it twice...makes me seriously wonder what other issues it has! I think I am glad I didn't buy it!......
It is hard to say. One person's pride is another person's disgusting mess.

There can only be so much seriously wrong with a trailer. A cracked frame, a rotten floor, degraded door frame structure seem to be the biggest issues. I guess you can have a cumulative issue of needing just too many new upgrades like cushions, paint, appliances, etc to make it worth the asking price.

My guess is that this is a statistical anomaly - three fickle buyers in a row.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
it had a few issues, the least of which was a 3" gap at the bottom of the door. Also, all of the storage was lined with dryer sheets.
Title issues aside, this sounds like a serious rodent hotel! I hope you brought lots of hand sanitizer when you went to look!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #20

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Hand sanitizer was applied liberally. It had a few other issues that i took note of....they were simply more than i wanted to deal with!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Just curious, WHAT WAS THE ASKING PRICE!!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #22

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
The original seller was right around $4000 i think....maybe $4200. The second guy said he was trying to get what he had into it and was asking $3800....it is now $4600....
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
All to often the cost of repairs are underestimated (or even really unknown) by sellers and buyers. It sounds, just from the description, that a lot of new appliances, upholstery, tires and, maybe, an axle were on the needed list. Having that farmed out to an RV dealers shop can add another $4-5k to the purchase price.

The saddest part about this whole story is that it sounds like several Newbees got sucked into buying and found out the cost of repairs were a lot higher than expected.

Again, my basic recommendation: Always buy the best rig you can afford, let the previous owner(s) take the loss for all the work they put into the rig.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #24

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I've been thinking about the situation. Only one conclusion.
It's HAUNTED......RUN
Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
That varies by locality, as well -- local laws often override that. In our county, and several surrounding counties, all vehicles must be kept current on their plates and registration, even if they are never moved. An exception is given for mobile homes IF they are anchored to the ground.
Even in those islands of oppression, that's likely not true if they are kept indoors.
BTW, somewhere in New England I recall seeing license plates on riding lawnmowers.
Here in Illannoy, it is common for local ordinance to require a motor vehicle to have current registration and be in operable condition if it is parked outside. The state has an exemption for farm equipment. How 'bout a disabled combine as a lawn ornament?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
that's likely not true if they are kept indoors.
Here in Illannoy, it is common for local ordinance to require a motor vehicle to have current registration and be in operable condition if it is parked outside.
Wow... I just can't imagine. Does one of those $200 car tents count as indoor?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #27

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Laws for keeping an out-of-registration vehicle/trailer varies widely from state to state and, on top of that local ordinances sometimes have a say-so on what you can keep/store/use on private property.

In California, the DMV offers non-operation status for vehicles that are not going to be reregistered. When this is filed for before the current registration expires, it's a simple matter to re-register when the vehicle is put back on the road. However, failing to get a non-op registration will bring on a huge bill for re-registration, including paying for back registration as well as penalties.

So, at least as far as the CA-DMV is concerned, it's not about how it's stored, it's what happens when you want to re-register.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #28

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I once let the license plates on my old truck expire . I was told by the police to get it off of public property (Parked in front of my House) and park it on private property . I can also drive it all I want on my own property or other private property as long as I do not drive on public roads to get to the property. I agree with Floyd sometimes Government gets involved in peoples lives for no good reason

Tags
dmv, scamp, title