Wonder what is wrong with this Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Just curious, WHAT WAS THE ASKING PRICE!!!!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #22

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
The original seller was right around $4000 i think....maybe $4200. The second guy said he was trying to get what he had into it and was asking $3800....it is now $4600....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
All to often the cost of repairs are underestimated (or even really unknown) by sellers and buyers. It sounds, just from the description, that a lot of new appliances, upholstery, tires and, maybe, an axle were on the needed list. Having that farmed out to an RV dealers shop can add another $4-5k to the purchase price.

The saddest part about this whole story is that it sounds like several Newbees got sucked into buying and found out the cost of repairs were a lot higher than expected.

Again, my basic recommendation: Always buy the best rig you can afford, let the previous owner(s) take the loss for all the work they put into the rig.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #24

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I've been thinking about the situation. Only one conclusion.
It's HAUNTED......RUN
Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
That varies by locality, as well -- local laws often override that. In our county, and several surrounding counties, all vehicles must be kept current on their plates and registration, even if they are never moved. An exception is given for mobile homes IF they are anchored to the ground.
Even in those islands of oppression, that's likely not true if they are kept indoors.
BTW, somewhere in New England I recall seeing license plates on riding lawnmowers.
Here in Illannoy, it is common for local ordinance to require a motor vehicle to have current registration and be in operable condition if it is parked outside. The state has an exemption for farm equipment. How 'bout a disabled combine as a lawn ornament?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
that's likely not true if they are kept indoors.
Here in Illannoy, it is common for local ordinance to require a motor vehicle to have current registration and be in operable condition if it is parked outside.
Wow... I just can't imagine. Does one of those $200 car tents count as indoor?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #27

Laws for keeping an out-of-registration vehicle/trailer varies widely from state to state and, on top of that local ordinances sometimes have a say-so on what you can keep/store/use on private property.

In California, the DMV offers non-operation status for vehicles that are not going to be reregistered. When this is filed for before the current registration expires, it's a simple matter to re-register when the vehicle is put back on the road. However, failing to get a non-op registration will bring on a huge bill for re-registration, including paying for back registration as well as penalties.

So, at least as far as the CA-DMV is concerned, it's not about how it's stored, it's what happens when you want to re-register.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I once let the license plates on my old truck expire . I was told by the police to get it off of public property (Parked in front of my House) and park it on private property . I can also drive it all I want on my own property or other private property as long as I do not drive on public roads to get to the property. I agree with Floyd sometimes Government gets involved in peoples lives for no good reason
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Laws for keeping an out-of-registration vehicle/trailer varies widely from state to state and, on top of that local ordinances sometimes have a say-so on what you can keep/store/use on private property.

In California, the DMV offers non-operation status for vehicles that are not going to be reregistered. When this is filed for before the current registration expires, it's a simple matter to re-register when the vehicle is put back on the road. However, failing to get a non-op registration will bring on a huge bill for re-registration, including paying for back registration as well as penalties.

So, at least as far as the CA-DMV is concerned, it's not about how it's stored, it's what happens when you want to re-register.
Wow! and you let'em get away with that??

Oh well, we had to change the spelling to "Illannoy" for many of the same reasons, maybe there will be a day of reckoning, but it doesn't look like it'll be any time soon!

A contextomy of REM...
"Oh, no I've said too much, I set it up!"
("I haven't said enough")
Old 04-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #30

Wow! and you let'em get away with that??

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually many Californians encourage those kind of laws;

It reduces the number of tax dodgers who don't want to pay registration and/or their car is out of specs and can't pass emissions.

It helps reduce the number of personal junque yards in neighborhoods. Local city ordinances can be set to limit the number of non-registered/inoperative vehicles that are "Clearly Visable" to 1 or 2 (and sometimes "0") vehicles.

It encourages owners to get rid of those cars, motorhomes and trailers that broke down and they will get around to fixing "some day, cause it's a classic don't ya know".

And on the selfish side, it helps maintain others (meaning mine) property values.

About 20 years back I bought a house in VA. About 3 months after I moved in my neighbor had a early 70's Camero, already in terrible condition and not running, towed to his house and he parked it on the street next to my house. It took 4 months, and only after the tags had expired, to get it moved, and what did he do? He parked it on his lawn, about 5 feet off the sidewalk, where it stayed for the next 2 years, along with 3-4 other vehicles that subsequently arrived in the same manner. At that time there wasn't anything I could do about this personal junque yard. I finally got the health department out and they agreed that the vehicles were attracting rodents and had them towed away.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually many Californians encourage those kind of laws;

All the more reason not to visit the left coast, which BTW seems to have a lot of special interest cars in spite of busibody neighbors.

My project cars are always kept indoors, so why tax me for something which has no public exposure? I also have a collection of antique wall clocks which, like the cars, are being preserved for posterity. Should I be punished for that as well?

Actually, if I were penalized for having my 1966 Falcon, or my Pinto, I would buy a 15 year old Lincoln, sand blast it, take a sledge to every panel, paint the wheels four different colors and park it in front of my house everyday!
You can't even IMAGINE what my new lawn ornaments would look like.

Still, I believe in being a good neighbor and appreciate the same from them. (what do you think of those cheap plastic swimming pools and dilapidated gym sets which seem to dot the landscape?)
My house is the best in my neighborhood,unless someone objects to my color choices or the fact that it is a Cape Cod and has a matching outbuilding.
As for property values... I would prefer to keep them low so that maybe my real estate tax bill would come down... It is now higher than all of the house payments I have ever paid combined!
I agree with your desire to have a nice home, but I don't see how a license plate is so decorative or concealing, unless they are much larger than in IllAnnoys'.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #32

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
... in spite of busibody neighbors.
Since this is a copyrighted photo, I will post a link so you can see it:
Stockton, CA subdivision

This is pretty much what much of California (that is within driving distance to jobs) looks like as far as the eye can see. I have a good friend that eats in her Living Room off a TV tray because her Dining Room window is within 10 feet of her neighbor's Bath Room window. She'd rather look at (and listen to) the street traffic.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #33

I think that Fred's example reflects a very few percent of CA housing density, and examples such as that one seem to have popped up in the past 10 years.

But Stockton???? Didn't Stockton just hit the news as the largest City Bankruptcy ever filed in the U.S.? Not much of a recommendation for a place to live.

I think that the quality of work in the area reflects the need to build on such small parcels.

I know a bit about Stockton. My Mom was born there in 1920 and the family left there in 1921, never to return. In fact, I remember spending a week there one Saturday afternoon.

My more typical CA home sits on a bit over 1/2 acre

Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #34

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Thats what I felt like when I lived in Seattle.. I listened to the radio last night telling how Los Angeles has 7 million commuter cars on the road a day and has now sync'd all the traffic lights in the entire city. Average speed went up from 14.x mph to 17mph on the roads.

Here is my population explosion I have to live with here in Texas where I am at.
p.s. I know that there are tons of nice places in Ca I have been there and seen the beauty of northern Ca or as Donna would say "Oregon is waiting to annex that area as it was originally theirs".
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0079.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Since this is a copyrighted photo, I will post a link so you can see it:
Stockton, CA subdivision

This is pretty much what much of California (that is within driving distance to jobs) looks like as far as the eye can see. I have a good friend that eats in her Living Room off a TV tray because her Dining Room window is within 10 feet of her neighbor's Bath Room window. She'd rather look at (and listen to) the street traffic.
No danger of junk cars in the yard there....Unless they are micromachines!... At least you could hide it behind a license plate, if you had the yard space!
Attached Thumbnails
800px-micro_machines_comparacion_02.jpg  

Tags
dmv, scamp, title