Wonder what is wrong with this Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Wonder what is wrong with this Scamp?

Hubby and I drove to a neighboring state earlier this winter to look at a 1986 Scamp....it had a few issues, the least of which was a 3" gap at the bottom of the door. It had the original cushions and one of them had what looked to be a large cigarette hole in it. Also, all of the storage was lined with dryer sheets. We passed on the trailer and continued our search. A couple of months later, a 1986 Scamp came up for sale about an hour from where we live. I hastily made arrangements to go and see it. We got there and I got an eerie sense of dejavu....then I started looking around....cigarette burn in the cushion and dryer sheets in the storage areas. I asked the guy about the title...he said he had one and it was clear, but he had just bought it and hadn't transferred it yet. He said his wife didn't want one without a bathroom (this same guy had sold a 1977 Scamp around Thanksgiving)....anyway, I passed the first time, so I passed the second. This weekend, a 1986 Scamp came up for sale about 3 hours from me. I called the lady and she said she bought it 6 weeks ago about two hours south of her house. I asked about any issues and she mentioned that one of the cushions had a cigarette burn in it. I asked about a title...she said it was a title from the neighboring state and it hadn't been transferred to her name yet as she has now found a 16' trailer and decided she wanted one of those instead. I am positive it is the same trailer. That trailer has been for sale three times in as many months and I looked at it twice...makes me seriously wonder what other issues it has! I think I am glad I didn't buy it! AND super glad I asked some questions and didn't drive 6 hours to see it again!
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question What constitutes "Buying" a Trailer and when do you have the rights to "sell it"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
I asked the guy about the title...he said he had one and it was clear, but he had just bought it and hadn't transferred it yet.

I asked about a title...she said it was a title from the neighboring state and it hadn't been transferred to her name yet as she has now found a 16' trailer and decided she wanted one of those instead.
How many consecutive repetitions of this type of transaction does it take before the DMV won't accept your "Bill of Sale"? I was taught that just because money changed hands isn't proof that a transaction has taken place. Why do people fail to follow through with the DMV transfer???

In my opinion the first guy didn't have the right to sell you that trailer because he didn't own it yet. The second lady didn't own it either! You were so right to keep your distance.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

Minnesota
I actually told the second guy I didn't think he could sell it as he didn't have a title showing he owned it. Either way....you have to transfer it here within 10 days or there is a fee of some sort....the lady has had it for 6 weeks and hasn't applied to title it. A bill of sale doesn't normally cut it on this kind of thing here. When my parents sold their camper, they couldn't find the title and the documentation process to get it titled so they could sell it was incredible!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It is legal to hold an open title in my state,as long as you don't need registration.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
At least in California, sellers maintain what we call a "Hot Title" for a future owner to avoid paying title, registration & sales taxes. Because dealers don't have to pay sales taxes on the value of vehicles they buy for resale, only a licensed dealer can resell a vehicle with a hot title.

It's illegal and, as a result, we have a "Curbstone Seller" law that can penalize a seller up to and including confiscation of the vehicle if caught selling with a hot title. The DMV has been hot on this as of late with individuals buying from wholesale auctions and selling as a private seller. It looks like the retail car sales peeps had a lot to do with pushing this new law through about two years ago.

I personally know a serial fgrv seller (7 in one year, all with hot titles) that got caught and was fined the full $10,000 maximum.

BTW: This is my 1000th post and I think that I have only been here three weeks........

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
...as long as you don't need registration.
In California you must have either one or the other in your name of:
  1. Registration form ("Trailer Coach", over 16' hitch ball to back wall)
    Regular License Plate just like on your Tow Vehicle with similar annual fees, Title required
  2. Identification Form ("Camp Trailer", 16' feet or less)
    "PTI" License Plate with no date stickers, $20 at purchase with 5 year coverage,
    $10 renewal for each 5 year period thereafter, Title optional
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

Per #2 above: I think that's a Virtual title, "Hard Copy Title" is optional.
Because no one with an I.Q. over about 37 will buy without a title in hand in CA, I always suggest to ask for the hard copy as well when getting PTI plates. AAA autoclub also makes the same recommendation when titling smaller trailers. We have hard titles for all three of our smaller trailers, two have PTI plates.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that's a Virtual title.
The "not-a-registration" form that "identifies" your "PTI" (Permanent Trailer Identification) plated trailer is Virtual?
I thought "Virtual" meant that it only exists within a computer server...? Like the Starship Enterprise's Holodeck?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
BTW: This is my 1000th post and I think that I have only been here three weeks........
My situation has no bering on this discussion. I live in the wild wild west
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post369255
But, I gotta say, that is a sign of devotion. Welcome to the family!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #10

Registry
Wink

Quote:
That sounds like a Moderator candidate!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #11

In California:
If you get a PTI plate (see above posts) you will not be issued a paper title unless requested. But a "virtual title" will exist in the DMV computer system. I don't know whos bright idea that was but, with a virtual title it took two extra pieces of paper , both with the sellers signature thereupon, to get my pop-up titled in my name.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
In California:
If you get a PTI plate (see above posts) you will not be issued a paper title unless requested.
... and pay an extra $17 fee.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
In California you must have either one or the other in your name of:
  1. Registration form ("Trailer Coach", over 16' hitch ball to back wall)
    Regular License Plate just like on your Tow Vehicle with similar annual fees, Title required
  2. Identification Form ("Camp Trailer", 16' feet or less)
    "PTI" License Plate with no date stickers, $20 at purchase with 5 year coverage,
    $10 renewal for each 5 year period thereafter, Title optional
Well...California is one thing, but here in the U.S. there are sometimes different rules.
For instance a vehicle or trailer which is not used on public roads and is kept on private property doesn't require registration.
When it's time to use it on public roads, registration is required and a title must be ordered to get registration (license plates).
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
...there are sometimes different rules.
For instance a vehicle or trailer which is not used on public roads and is kept on private property doesn't require registration.
... or a lack of rules. Ain't freedom great?

In California, the registration is not allowed to lapse without penalty. If your vehicle is not used on public roads and is kept on private property, you submit a "Non-Operation" registration renewal with a flat $10 fee in lieu of the regular registration fee, which is based on the depreciated value of the vehicle.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Wow, and I thought that Canada was supposed to be the domain of excess government.
I mean, I get it. Trailer theft is a bad thing. It should be discouraged as much as possible, but this just sounds kinda draconian.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #16

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Well...California is one thing, but here in the U.S. there are sometimes different rules.
When it's time to use it on public roads, registration is required and a title must be ordered to get registration (license plates).
That varies by locality, as well -- local laws often override that. In our county, and several surrounding counties, all vehicles must be kept current on their plates and registration, even if they are never moved. An exception is given for mobile homes IF they are anchored to the ground.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Did you write the original screen play of "Ground Hog Day" and get Bill Murray to play in your stead? Kinda of eery
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
........ That trailer has been for sale three times in as many months and I looked at it twice...makes me seriously wonder what other issues it has! I think I am glad I didn't buy it!......
It is hard to say. One person's pride is another person's disgusting mess.

There can only be so much seriously wrong with a trailer. A cracked frame, a rotten floor, degraded door frame structure seem to be the biggest issues. I guess you can have a cumulative issue of needing just too many new upgrades like cushions, paint, appliances, etc to make it worth the asking price.

My guess is that this is a statistical anomaly - three fickle buyers in a row.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
it had a few issues, the least of which was a 3" gap at the bottom of the door. Also, all of the storage was lined with dryer sheets.
Title issues aside, this sounds like a serious rodent hotel! I hope you brought lots of hand sanitizer when you went to look!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #20

Minnesota
Hand sanitizer was applied liberally. It had a few other issues that i took note of....they were simply more than i wanted to deal with!

Tags
dmv, scamp, title