Wondering - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Having a pet is similar to having children, some do and some do not, and Norm you are a wanderer and a wonderer

Old 02-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Store Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Oxymoron…???

Norm, I appreciated your observation about how different cultures perceive pets. I live in a context (Native American) in which dogs are common but not typically treated as "house pets." As it has become more common in the broader American context to encounter pets in public spaces, like restaurants and stores, I have noticed that many of the Native people I know are somewhat turned off by it. I wasn't too thrilled myself when I encountered a dogfight in the dairy aisle at WalMart not long ago.
Jon, I know what you mean. I met a women yesterday who's considering having her dogs listed as service dogs so she can go anywhere with them.

It sort of like getting a medical need permit for marijuana in CA. Anyone can get one.

I particularly notice dogs in the west being pushed around in store carriages. I was truly surprised, but that's the west coast.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
"3. ...people who own pets have a higher risk of mental health problems..." Question is, do crazy people choose pets, or do pets drive them crazy? One doesn't have to be crazy to keep a pet, but it helps. (This from a person who has a cat; please excuse me while I go clean up her vomit...)
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I particularly notice dogs in the west being pushed around in store carriages. I was truly surprised, but that's the west coast.
It's not just the west coast anymore.

The day is approaching when pets will be welcomed at more places than children.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I can understand having a pet, I don't understand having 3. Why do you have three cats?
When I met my wife, I was a single dad, with three kids. She had three cats. Six months, or so into the relationship, I said, "three cats is a lot. Which one should we get rid of?". Her reply was, "three kids is a lot......" We didn't discuss it after that.

I waited, they were old cats. Eventually, I buried them all, under the pine tree in our back yard.

Then my daughter begged me for a cat for Christmas, I gave in. Then a "friend" of my wife's dropped off two more cats when she moved to Atlanta.

Back to three.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
When I met my wife, I was a single dad, with three kids. She had three cats. Six months, or so into the relationship, I said, "three cats is a lot. Which one should we get rid of?". Her reply was, "three kids is a lot......" We didn't discuss it after that.

I waited, they were old cats. Eventually, I buried them all, under the pine tree in our back yard.

Then my daughter begged me for a cat for Christmas, I gave in. Then a "friend" of my wife's dropped off two more cats when she moved to Atlanta.

Back to three.
Nothing against your wife, but there are important questions to ask before the marriage..... Meow......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
As a single dad with a 3 year old boy, and twin 9 month old girls. The fact that she even smiled at me was kinda amazing, to me. I met her at a clock and jewelry kiosk after the till at the local Real Canadian Super Store. I went shopping every Saturday, because the twin stroller that I used couldn't hold many groceries in the basket under the seats of the stroller. The guy that owned the store would make all the cuckoo clocks dance for my kids while I chatted up the pretty girl behind the counter. Eventually I worked up the courage to ask her if she was interested in drunk Lego. She said yes.

The three year old is now 20, and the twins turned 18 yesterday. But my wife also wanted kids, so we have an 11 year old girl and an 8 year old boy together. I will be raising kids, and cats for some time yet.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #22

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As a single dad with a 3 year old boy, and twin 9 month old girls. The fact that she even smiled at me was kinda amazing.

The three year old is now 20, and the twins turned 18 yesterday. But my wife also wanted kids, so we have an 11 year old girl and an 8 year old boy together. I will be raising kids, and cats for some time yet.
Congratulations to you David. Based upon the results it reads like she made a good choice. Relationships are compromises, your's seems to be working well.

Bless your family

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #23

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
If it came down to a choice between me or the dog having to leave, I am not sure which one my wife would choose and I am not going to ask. I don't want my feelings hurt!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #24

Florida
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having a pet is similar to having children, some do and some do not, and Norm you are a wanderer and a wonderer
Hi Jim,

Hope things are well in PA, our home in NH is definitely buried. Ginny's "wondering if we'll ever be wandering" home.

Do you have any rallies on your agenda for this year?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #25

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Dog license, Marriage license, same price.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #26

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schroeder View Post
Dog license, Marriage license, same price.
I assume you meant the same initial price, the same entrance fee but once in ??????

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #27

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
I have 2 Mt Feist squirrel dogs (hunters) but they are not pets or house dogs. They're 'working dogs' & live in a kennel out back. Our sons & grandkids attend to them when we're out on a trip. Back in the mid 1990s when I was driving part time transporting railroad crews. my wife decided she'd like to have a small house dog for companionship while I was 'out on a run' for the railroad. We found (& acquired) a year old miniature pinscher. Smartest dog I ever saw. He had his own bed & blanket & would 'cover' himself with his blanket before going to sleep. He was also a great watch dog, & very protective of us & 'his' place. In spring 1998 we took a month long trip to New England & back through the Great Lakes, stopping at Sturgis, SD just before the motorcycle rally, towing an 18' 'stickie' trailer, & took Gator with us. He was a perfect gentleman, never caused any trouble or 'messed up' anything. Still, it was the worst trip we've ever made. Since our children are 'grown & gone' we've been accustomed to going & coming as the mood strikes us, & not having to worry about anyone else. With Gator along we had to consider him every time we left the camper, & make arrangements for his comfort/safety when he didn't go with us in the truck. He was great company & we met folks that we probably wouldn't have except for him but, it was a new, & worrisome experience for us & one we didn't/don't care to repeat. Gator is gone now, a victim of heartworms & other ailments at 6yrs old (obviously vet care & faithful use of preventatives did not work ) & tho we miss him we no longer have pets. Apparently some people are 'pet folks' & some ain't; we ain't!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #28

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Jon, I know what you mean. I met a women yesterday who's considering having her dogs listed as service dogs so she can go anywhere with them.

It sort of like getting a medical need permit for marijuana in CA. Anyone can get one.

A "seeing eye dog" is one thing, but committing a fraud just to burden others in restaurants and other pet restricted areas is quite another.
I notice that many motels have designated smoke free rooms but often allow pets without designation. This can cause medical emergencies for those with pet related allergies who are not forewarned.
I know of a child who was subjected to this exposure and her weekend trip to Six Flags was ruined for her entire family.
Having no "pet free" rooms, the motel's only solution was to offer over the counter antihistamines.
Having your eyes swell shut is a much more verifiable medical condition than is a pet dependency.