Wondering about Bigfoot Construction - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
4. Molded glass shell, molded glass interior walls and furniture.

Burro, UHaul.
...and Oliver

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #16
Name: Jay
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 25B17.5G. Pulled by a 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Here is one more category of fiberglass construction that Bigfoot makes in the 3000 series (not in the molded series 2500) - aluminum sticks and fiberglass walls. See the message and attachment below from Tim Kipers about the "Columbia River"
series that Bigfoot used to manufacture in Oregon.

"Hi Jay,

I found out some info for you:

Columbia River was the “little brother” of the 3000 Series trailers we build today… Injected wall, roof and floor, but 1” insulation in the wall vs. 1˝” in the 3000s, wood framed vs. Aluminum in the 3000s now. There were some other interior and exterior differences. I’ve attach a scanned ’99 Columbia River Brochure page of this trailer to this e-mail, this should basically give you everything you need to know about it.

Take care and good luck,

Tim Kipers
National Sales Manager, USA
Bigfoot Industries
Direct 503-789-1592 Fax 503-667-8442

Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #17
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
If I am reading this correct Byron you have an excellent point here which a design difference from the Boler, Casita, Burro and Scamp and the likes. Everywhere my Scamp has a water pipe and a puncture within my fiberglass shell I can get to it to see whats going on, but if a BF is able to pond moisture between walls....eek...bad news. That seems to be one of the major problems with stickies.

Blair, one of the interesting construction features of Bigfoot (at least the '04 17' and '06 25' trailers I've had) is that instead of punching holes all through the shell to put plumbing and "stuff" in where it's "convenient", all of the through-hulls are grouped together in locations with a single interior easy access; for example in the 15B17CB (the 17' model) all of the plumbing (water heater, pump etc.) and electric are located under the street side dinette seat. They're easy to service, and certainly easy to see. All of the electrical is run through chases in the walls and all the plumbing (like the Scamp) can be gotten to through cabinets. There is nothing run through the walls for the very reasons you mention. That said, Bigfoot is subject to an occasional leak just like any other trailer as their are through-hulls, but it is immediately apparent, and no more difficult to repair than any other trailer. As a matter of fact, I think my Burro was one of the worst for trying to fix plumbing issues because of the double-wall construction. It was difficult to get to a number of the fittings. I'll also say that the electrical system in the Bigfoot is well laid out, unlike the rat's nest of wires I had to sort through under the carpet in the closet of in my Scamp 16 when I blew a main fuse.

Again, each manufacturer has strong points and weak points. Your choice really distills to what manufacturer has the features you're looking for.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #18
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Yes, all the support mounting is vulnerable to leaks in all trailers, but some support is more vulnerable to rot than others. I contend that instead of two major construction types, there are 3.

1 Roof and side panels with an interior wood framing.
2 Molded fiberglass shell with an interior wood framing.
3. Molded fiberglass.

It appears to me that the only real difference between a Big Foot and a true sticky is Big Foot uses a molded fiberglass shell rather than panels. I agree that that is a big difference, but not as big as those with a lot less wood. Yes any wood is vulnerable to rot if moisture gets into it. But a moisture path is less likely when there's no direct path to exterior of the shell. Not all molded fiberglass trailers have a A/C so have even less wood. A window leak is not going to rot out part of the wall like one of our members experienced.

My whole point is when purchasing a trailer try to understand the whole ramifications of different styles, including construction. All molded fiberglass trailers are not the same.

It seems to me that you've got bit defensive on this issue. I by no means intended to insult either you or Mike's intelligence. You've owned enough trailers that you've made your choice abased the compromises that best suits your needs. I assume that Mike has also.
Nope, Byron... not defensive at all. And you're right... I've had enough of them to know the differences. I think there's a misconception about how the Bigfoot interior is constructed. It doesn't have a "wood frame". My point is that there is no "choice 3" per se... they all have interior supports, be the supports wood, wood products, or fiberglass, and all have some wood reinforcement somewhere even if you can't see it. And when you can't see it (as when it's glassed in for re-inforcement), it's even more vulnerable, and a much bigger job to repair.

The interior supports in a Bigfoot are the walls and cabinetry, just as in all the others. The choice of wall coverings (basically insulation covering) is different and employs wood furring strips to attach the paneling to and cover the insulation, but it isn't structural. The basic interior construction/support isn't any different in the 2500 series than Casita or Scamp uses. The hull is the structural material, and it's held up by interior support walls. A factor that is perhaps further confusing the issue is that Bigfoot experienced problems with the flat roofs they used for years, and now have re-built their molds with shaped roofs for strength and for better water/snow/ice shedding. Some of the older Bigfoot trailers had a weak flat roof design with roofs that leaked around the vents over the years. In those, the wood used as furring strips was also structural, and the leaks caused the furring to fail, and subsequently the roof to sag. That is largely an issue of the past.

My Born Free moho is framed with wood with molded fiberglass panels and roof attached over them, and then the seams sealed. The wood is structural. That is a whole different construction method, and perhaps closer to how you may have thought the 2500 series Bigfoot trailers are built.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote