Woo Hoo: Airstream Nest / American Web Media article - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 03:09 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Woo Hoo: Airstream Nest / American Web Media article

Remember this?

Video: New Camper Will Forever Change The Way People Enjoy The Outdoors From Now On – AWM
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Nice article! Couldnt find the link for the vid, that site is so full of advertising I
wont be going back there,,,
Just about as bad as here,,, lol
Fred
FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:35 AM   #3

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Yeah, I remember

I read the entire Nest thread from conception to execution and was really impressed with it. I had misgivings when Airstream bought the company and unless I've missed something I don't see the Nest ever reemerging. Talking with an Airstream salesman a few weeks ago and he (very much hinting) gave the impression that it was only a scheme to remove competition for the Airstream Base Camp model.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
I read the entire Nest thread from conception to execution and was really impressed with it. I had misgivings when Airstream bought the company and unless I've missed something I don't see the Nest ever reemerging. Talking with an Airstream salesman a few weeks ago and he (very much hinting) gave the impression that it was only a scheme to remove competition for the Airstream Base Camp model.
That happens a lot. If you can't beat em, buy em out.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I won't hold my breath either way. Airstreams and Nests are out of my price range.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
That happens a lot. If you can't beat em, buy em out.
And if the seller does it right, he makes out well. I hope Johann did.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
...Talking with an Airstream salesman a few weeks ago and he (very much hinting) gave the impression that it was only a scheme to remove competition for the Airstream Base Camp model.
So Airstream was concerned with the competition arising from the very limited numbers of trailers that Nest was potentially going to be able to produce and sell each year??? Doesn't seem a likely scenario to me and I doubt that Airstream was at all concerned about competition from Nest.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Carl did you ever replace your snooz ? If so what ? I bought a Casita .
Old 12-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #9

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
Carl did you ever replace your snooz ? If so what ? I bought a Casita .
No, I haven't. Health still won't allow me what it takes to care and operate one. I still keep looking at them though. Don't need health to dream............lol
Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
I can't believe they would make a purchase to eliminate competition for the Base Camp.

I can believe that may not see the market for the Nest (not my opinion) or Airstream is not ready to dilute their successful product efforts.

The rush to market for young startups is not often the technique of the big guys unless they have a hole in their product line or are slipping with their present endeavors.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
The Airstream website says "Coming Late 2017" . So guess we should wait till then before we give up on them emerging. Personally my Casita is fine for my needs. But if I wanted to spend that much money, I would be more inclined to go with the Oliver.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
To everything... there is a season...
and a time to every purpose under heaven...
--The Byrds
Did Solomon play guitar? but then the Byrds didn't sing the conclusion of the whole matter...did they??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:21 AM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patxx View Post
The Airstream website says "Coming Late 2017" . So guess we should wait till then before we give up on them emerging. Personally my Casita is fine for my needs. But if I wanted to spend that much money, I would be more inclined to go with the Oliver.
Given a really, really long life I suppose I would try all the different trailers, but the reality is the differences between trailers are not going to dramatically change the total package of traveling about the country for us. The trailer is secondary to the travel.

I've been using this $170 Chromebook for many years, something newer would not dramatically improve my typing these posts.

Actually I'm amazed how little trailers have changed over the years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #14

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
I attended the RVIA Industry show in KY a month ago and had a conversation with Airstream's VP of Sales regarding Nest. He gave me some impressive Web site tracking stats, and they certainly see a spiked interest in the fiberglass market. He said they're hoping to have Nest roll out of production around autumn of 2017.

Whether it was a buy-out to sit on a piece of the market, or they do intend to capture the interested market, we'll find out in 2017. Unfortunately, they did not have a prototype on the floor.

Johann is a smart player.
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #15

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I'll bet there's a lot more work launching a new FG trailer for Airstream than most of the small companies we know. Our little mom & pop outfits can do a couple units and sell them right away. Airstream has to manufacture at least 30 or 40 just to get them into the dealer pipeline. That's in addition to setting up a manufacturing facility, dealer training, parts etc. There's probably also some redesign going on to make them easier to produce. 2018 sounds about right.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I agree with Honda on this one. The travel and the company you're with are what it's about. More expensive trailers might have more features, but in the end, we love the things we love for what they are. My Scamp 13 works just beautifully for me.

My daughter sells RV's and I've been inside the AS base camp. Awfully clinical looking for me, and of course, not something I would make myself afford. But when they get the nest, out of sheer curiosity I'm going to drop by and have a look see. Only cuz it's FG.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #17

NA
Airstream Nest Update

They're now projecting a rollout early 2018.

Airstream gives official sneak peek of The Nest | RV Daily Report
Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #18

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Reading the Nest article, it had some phrases that reminded me of the liner notes on a new age music recording. So I'm going to steal one line and use it to describe my piano music.

Don's music is the perfect blend of sophistication and simplicity.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #19
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote From RV Daily Report About Airsteam Nest- "I’d not be comfortable in 16′ very long even if alone. Not a fan of a wet bath either. After having a single axel TT once I never see them as being a safe tow either. The price of this one approaches a well appointed 28′ – 32′ TT. On the plus side it can be pulled by a very small vehicle. It will make environmentalists happy seeing one parked beside my 43′ 5er for sure."

The above quote was copied from the comment section from the link that Hidalga posted. OK, guys explain to me why some men think 'Bigger is Better'!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #20

NA
Correlating Thread

There's a FiberglassRV correlating thread about the same trailer/topic, linked below:

Airstream Nest