Worst nightmare comes true - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I had a blow out as I pulled my new 13' Scamp home from Backus.

On Interstate 90, just west of Spokane, in heavy traffic at 55 mph, the right tire on the blew. (I knew that mainly by the sound, there was no wobble or fish tailing.) By the time I found a wide spot to stop, the tire was shredded and mostly gone. I managed to change the tire using the tools at hand. There seemed to be no damage to the wheel well.

Unlike Gina I didn't feel an earlier bump.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Jim, it was a trailer tire, a "D".

I got the replacement and Fred, Robert, Dave and Leslie and I (We ALL stayed at Allensworth.. and Lisa, it's actually VERY nie there this time of year) are at Lake San Antonio. The rim was fine. I got lucky!

Internet is iffy here.. and most of you ARE here..but thanks for the well wishes folks.

but, yep, I don't want to do that again. The window bounced out of my car too (Thats another story). Luckily there were 6 guys here to fix it. Don't think it had anything to do with the big bounce, but.. maybe.

I am not moving for 3 days, so no disaster can happen until I go home LOL!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Wow, Gina. So glad you are ok. It is reassuring to know that the Burro was so stable. Thanks for sharing.

Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

One of our 13" tires developed a knot and twisted tread last summer (we had hit some bad pot holes on I-40 in NM on our way up to ND). We found it not to easy to get a replacement in Minot, ND. It took about a week to get tires (I went to the next size larger in 13" tire size) (I could have gotten them from Sears sooner, but money is money). I decided to carry two spares, just in case. I carry the second one under the tongue.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=24914&hl=

Good luck. Happy Trailering.

AW
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My local Sears here in Washington doesn't carry trailer tires and won't balance lug-centric tires.

Domenica, the thing about trailer tires is to keep them properly pumped up and avoid driving fast, especially in hot weather on hot roads.

WDH is weight distributing hitch, which takes some tongue weight off the rear of the tow vehicle and spreads it to the front axle and the trailer axle. WDH alone provides some stability but does not itself provide any sway control, however, some WDHs can have sway control built in. Equalizer provides friction sway control and Reese has a dual cam system.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote