Would appreciate ideas about an RV - Completely new camper! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #15

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I think what the OP needs to consider is a Class B camper van. It sounds more in tune with his outdoor adventuring. Used ones can be found pretty easy in the $20-30k range.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A wife who is a reluctant camper is unlikely to be happy in a the really tight spaces of a B-van.

John, real world commuting fuel mileage in the mid-twenties in a pick-up truck is a tough one. There are the light diesels, of course, including the Ram 1500 and Colorado/Canyon. But with purchase prices in the mid $40s, higher maintenance costs, and cheap fuel (for the time being, at least), you'd be far better off buying a low mileage used gas pickup for half the price. Paul is right: there isn't a big fuel economy advantage in a midsize, but for some the smaller size is its own advantage. Alternatively, the Ford Ecoboost is perfectly adequate for small fiberglass fifth wheels, but I haven't researched reliability. In the end, though, trucks are trucks...

If you insist on a fifth wheel, you're stuck with a truck. If you consider a bumper-pull, you've got a lot more options. I'm afraid there's no rabbit in this hat...

Old 01-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
A used Ranger 4 liter V6 would be my suggestion. You can tow a Scamp 5th wheel as well as the smaller trailers. The Rangers are very reliable and get decent mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Thanks. The Rangers are excellent trucks but they don't sell new ones in the USA. The Ranger was discontinued several years ago I believe. I need/want a new truck. I am driving an 18 year old volvo right now and I spend my weekends working on it. I prefer not to get a used vehicle to take its place.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #18

Georgia
True. I know that there is no magic involved, but I thought that maybe there are some possibilities that I've overlooked. I've been studying this for a year and the Colorado/Canyon is the perfect truck for my needs. However, in a survey of new cars/trucks it is the eighth worst in reliability. The last GM product I owned was not great and it was rated "average" in reliability.

I spent half of my career in engineering at a major airline keeping the airplanes reliable and I don't won't to have to deal with something that is delivered with flaws and broken all the time, especially if I have to rely on it to get me to work each day. Maybe the Colorado's reliability will improve, but for now, according to the surveys its pretty poor.

I have owned a Toyota truck. It was incredibly reliable. I would buy another without hesitation from a reliability standpoint. The gas mileage they currently offer isn't great, though. I'm not concerned about the mileage I get towing since it will be fairly infrequent. The truck will be my daily driver and I drive 500 miles each week. I need to get good gas mileage for the trip to work and back every day.

I figured that a truck will do for either a bumper pull and a 5th wheel and can be adjusted to work well in either case no matter what RV I buy. Anyhow, thanks for the comments. I appreciate the information.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Would appreciate ideas about an RV - Completely new camper!

The last five vehicles I have purchased were 2-3 years old, 15-25K miles, many thousands less than new, and I have not had any more trouble with any of them than a new one. Typically spend 3-6 months researching & looking, and I am very picky. I keep vehicles at least 12 years and 200K miles. The key is picking a reliable model, researching its history, and doing a very careful inspection- common sense stuff.

But if you want a new one...

Personally, I'd spend more on the trailer to keep my wife happy and compromise a bit on the vehicle. Vehicles depreciate. Molded fiberglass trailers... not so much. Beyond a point, they can actually appreciate. Mine has.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
John, Email sent.

BobH.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #21

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
JRMarsh...not for sure if you're wanting new/used, BUT, here's something to consider. IF you're going new and an "Escape", you're going to be on a year's wait MIN. SO, that would give you more time to accumulate more funds and COULD contribute to your decision. Just a thought...
Old 01-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #22

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita SD
Florida
I picked up a used low mileage Camry for my daily driver to stop racking up miles on my 4Runner since it is my tow vehicle and expensive to replace. I prefer to save the 4Runner for trips!

You might consider a gently used, high MPG, commuter vehicle and then pick the RV combo you really want.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Honda is releasing the new Ridgeline this spring. By all accounts it will be very reliable, as all Honda's are. Probably won't have the tow capacity of the new Colorado. I don't know where the info about them having problems is coming from - all I've seen are excellent reviews - check out the owner reviews on Edmunds. But either would not have an issue pulling an egg and both are a good car substitute if you get the crew cab.

As for space or tightness, my Winnebago Travato is about as spacious as my Oliver. Maybe a bit more so because of the windows and the way it's layed out. Certainly bigger than all but the largest Escapes. It was cheap too - around 70k. I'd check out some vans before dismissing them out-of-hand. They've come along way in recent years and are a pretty good mult-use vehicle if configured right. I have a write-up on mine if you check out my blog.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #24

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
The most reliable small pickup trucks are made by Toyota.

General Motors has bad reviews.

My last Toyota truck had over 300,000 miles on it. During my time as owner I replaced the following maintenance items: Battrey, Tires, brakes plus the usual oil changes every 3,000 miles and oil and air filters...replaced clutch once in 300,000 miles.

You may never find a single Chevy, GM, Ford or Dodge with that kind of track record.

The current V6 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with automatic transmission and tow package is rated to tow about 6,500 pounds. Check Toyota's website for gas mileage and details.
All Toyota trucks are manufactured in the USA...most in Texas in America's most modern truck plant.

I had no trouble selling it when I got tired of the color.
I now drive a Toyota FJ Cruiser, 4.0 Ltr 6 cylinder 4X4 and tow a travel trailer weighing in at around 4,500 lbs.

Toyota ranks best in quality...check consumer reports.

I am one happy camper!
Old 01-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #25

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Honda is releasing the new Ridgeline this spring. By all accounts it will be very reliable, as all Honda's are. Probably won't have the tow capacity of the new Colorado. I don't know where the info about them having problems is coming from - all I've seen are excellent reviews - check out the owner reviews on Edmunds. But either would not have an issue pulling an egg and both are a good car substitute if you get the crew cab.

As for space or tightness, my Winnebago Travato is about as spacious as my Oliver. Maybe a bit more so because of the windows and the way it's layed out. Certainly bigger than all but the largest Escapes. It was cheap too - around 70k. I'd check out some vans before dismissing them out-of-hand. They've come along way in recent years and are a pretty good mult-use vehicle if configured right. I have a write-up on mine if you check out my blog.
The Ridgeline is based on the Honda Pilot so tow capacities should be similar. The old Ridgeline wasn't able to tow a 5th wheel as I understand it due to the "trunk area" on the bed and the flying buttresses which caused an interference problem. The butresses are supposed to be gone on the new model but nobody knows for sure if the back end will be conducive of pulling a 5th wheel.

A 5th wheel is my preferred trailer at this point but everyone seems to have missed that. I want the separate "bedroom area" in the front. You don't get that in a hitch mounted trailer.

The Colorado gets excellent reviews for design and value and very poor statistics for reliabilty.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #26

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
The most reliable small pickup trucks are made by Toyota.

General Motors has bad reviews.

My last Toyota truck had over 300,000 miles on it. During my time as owner I replaced the following maintenance items: Battrey, Tires, brakes plus the usual oil changes every 3,000 miles and oil and air filters...replaced clutch once in 300,000 miles.

You may never find a single Chevy, GM, Ford or Dodge with that kind of track record.

The current V6 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with automatic transmission and tow package is rated to tow about 6,500 pounds. Check Toyota's website for gas mileage and details.
All Toyota trucks are manufactured in the USA...most in Texas in America's most modern truck plant.

I had no trouble selling it when I got tired of the color.
I now drive a Toyota FJ Cruiser, 4.0 Ltr 6 cylinder 4X4 and tow a travel trailer weighing in at around 4,500 lbs.

Toyota ranks best in quality...check consumer reports.

I am one happy camper!
Two of my co-workers have 20 year old Tacomas that have never needed anything other than routine maintenance. They both get mediocre gas mileage. Toyota will need to introduce some more efficient engines to compete with the some of the new mid sized trucks.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #27

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Not sure if you are aware of it but another option might be a Nissan Titan that will be coming out with an available Cummins diesel. I believe the towing capacity is 12,000 lbs. It will have available a 5th wheel tow hitch mounted in the bed.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #28

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Not sure if you are aware of it but another option might be a Nissan Titan that will be coming out with an available Cummins diesel. I believe the towing capacity is 12,000 lbs. It will have available a 5th wheel tow hitch mounted in the bed.

Yes. Its a very nice truck. The price is way too high for me, though.