Would you buy a Boler without seeing it for yourself? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #21

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
Buy it! I bought mine a year ago this week, and even though I had to learn to tow, back up, find a great mechanic and do minor repairs, I've never regretted buying it. Everything is fixable. You could offer a little less if that's what comparable Bolers are going for, or if you think there might be a costly repair or two. Right off, you need to grease the wheel bearings, throughly inspect the frame for rust, and check the electrical and propane. It takes a while to figure everything out, but once you do, you'll understand why these little trailers are just the best camping vehicle out there. If I was closer, I'd go with you! Enjoy! Jamie
I just made an offer on the 1977!
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Good luck.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #23

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
I hope you get it, not only because it is almost identical to mine, I have a larger door window, but because it is in fantastic shape with original parts and colors. You can do anything you want to make it yours! Yellow Bolers are the best! Keep us posted.
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #24

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
I hope you get it, not only because it is almost identical to mine, I have a larger door window, but because it is in fantastic shape with original parts and colors. You can do anything you want to make it yours! Yellow Bolers are the best! Keep us posted.
They will not accept less than $5000.

We will need to fix at least three leaks...have it inspected...probably replace the axle to install brakes (in order to tow with our VW Golf)...maybe reinforce the frame...replace rivets in the belly band...etc...sounds like at least $1000 right away...

...not sure if it's worth it
Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Things happen for a reason Melanie. I don't think this trailer is meant to be yours. When I bought my trailer, as soon as I SAW it, I fell in love with it. I don't think you're feeling the love...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #26

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Things happen for a reason Melanie. I don't think this trailer is meant to be yours. When I bought my trailer, as soon as I SAW it, I fell in love with it. I don't think you're feeling the love...
I agree, Donna......I should wait for a green and white Boler...1974 (the year I was born)...
Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #27

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
I drove from Omaha to Arizona and bought my Perris Pacer unseen!
I found a Trillium 8 hours away but I'm sure it will sell quickly

So what are the logistics...

Do you give the seller a deposit somehow to hold it, pay for it somehow in full without seeing it or travel 8 hours hoping it's still for sale when we get there?

How do you transfer registration/ownership...any Canadian people out there buying from a different province? I suppose it needs to be a weekday in order to change ownership.

How can I make this happen?
Attached Thumbnails
5157603_20.jpg   72307cb_20.jpg  

37105l4_20.jpg   6631i50_20.jpg  

6279hmi_20.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I would mail a ck to hold it as a deposit, not to be cashed but as "good faith" and then take a cashiers or bank check for the total, get a contract of sale and go pick it up.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #29

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would mail a ck to hold it as a deposit, not to be cashed but as "good faith" and then take a cashiers or bank check for the total, get a contract of sale and go pick it up.
I don't fully understand the order...send the check, get a contract of sale, and then go pick it up, give him a bank draft, transfer ownership, then take it home??? What is a 'contract of sale'...I don't quite understand that part?

Please excuse my ignorance...
Old 07-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Ask the individual if they will hold the trailer as you are coming to get it or do they want a good faith deposit. Depending on what they say, mail a check as a deposit. They can either cash it or wait until you come pick it up with the balance or amount in full. Either way, time is of the essence. Then both of you sign a bill of sale/contract of sale/what ever you want to call it. Then obtain the title. Here in the US you will normally need a bill of sale and the title in order to get registration. You need to know what your local authorities require.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #31

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ask the individual if they will hold the trailer as you are coming to get it or do they want a good faith deposit. Depending on what they say, mail a check as a deposit. They can either cash it or wait until you come pick it up with the balance or amount in full. Either way, time is of the essence. Then both of you sign a bill of sale/contract of sale/what ever you want to call it. Then obtain the title. Here in the US you will normally need a bill of sale and the title in order to get registration. You need to know what your local authorities require.
I see...I think in Canada it's just a section you fill out on the back of the registration.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I see...I think in Canada it's just a section you fill out on the back of the registration.
Make absolutely certain of what you need. AND, if there's a title available... GET IT. IF you choose to sell in the future, have a clear title makes it so much easier/better.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #33

Name: CEC
Trailer: Surfside TM14 1975
Alberta
Registry
well one wants to always beleive in honest sellers however we did buy one from photos 3000 kms away and when I got there to pick it up found out lights not working, the windows were leaking ( wood was totally rotted and cranks broken) the floor was heavy with blakc mold ( Team Trillium had to use respirators to remove it when we got it home) the wiring was speaker wire not 110) the furnace was unsafe..and while driving the frame to axel bracket failed old damage from overloading the trailer and most likely going airborne with it causing the bracket to fold and crack) door hinges failing, l 400 overly worn oh and tires had the belts seperated...so having already paid for it we were stuck with it ...got tires fixed first then enroute back to the west noted the frame bracket issue as wheel had moved backtowards the well...once back in Calgary our repair bill with all the above addressed plus adding cushions, new wood doors etc was around $8000 a brand new L-400 bargman was another $375 plus shipping off ebay..so checking undercarriage axle and window seals in my experience a must..as that is expensive to fix...
Surfsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #34

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
Exclamation I wouldn't do it ever again...

I bought a trailer site unseen having taken the sellers word for its condition after some lengthy phone conversations and have becoming "friends". I also drove 3000 KMs away to pick it up and take my vacation and it was a complete nightmare. I would say RVs look 70% better in pictures then they do in real life and you can't smell the pictures. I got to the pickup location and found the trailer to be a heap. I got the police involved after the selller wouldn't answer my calls to even give me the keys, only to find out that I was responsible for disposing of it as I had the faxed copy of the bill of sale in hand. This experience cost me $1000s of dollars and not to mention ruined my vacation. I was living my life in complete shame thinking that I was the only person this ever happened to until I read the post above this one. Thank-you for this. It's a buyer beware market. If the seller knows you are driving some distance to come and see it and won't hold it for you think of it as a blessing. There is nothing worse than buying a trailer and having to spend a bunch of money on it before you can use it. It kinda takes the joy out of it and you start your years of camping for the good memories on the wrong foot with a bad one. I am going to go to bed and cry myself to sleep now from remembering this traumatic experience.
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #35

Nova Scotia
Registry
Happy Campers!

I started this thread because I'm a chicken and hardly ever gamble...especially when there's money involved. But - I am happy to report that we bought the 1977 Trillium and I love it. You can scroll back a bit to see pics. We paid $2900, spent $200 on gas to pick it up 8 hours away...plus tax...I think we did OK.

I did not pay for it before my husband checked it out. I offered to send a deposit but the seller was good enough to hold it while my husband made the trip.

I too was worried about the smell...it was the first question I asked my husband when he got there...'How does it smell?'

In this case, the pictures did NOT make it look better. It was actually better than I expected when it finally arrived home last night. We are happy campers, for sure.

I am sorry to hear the 'horror' stories - but I thought I should contribute a story where the seller WAS honest.

Melanie
Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #36
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Congratulations, Melanie. That's super! So glad you're happy with the deal. You are right, so often we hear about things that went wrong (and it's important that we do), but every once in awhile it's reassuring to know that sometimes things go right.

Looking forward now to pics of camping trips!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #37

Name: CEC
Trailer: Surfside TM14 1975
Alberta
Registry
Think the key was they waited for you to see if before taking your cash...congrats...
Surfsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #38

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I started this thread because I'm a chicken and hardly ever gamble...especially when there's money involved. But - I am happy to report that we bought the 1977 Trillium and I love it. You can scroll back a bit to see pics. We paid $2900, spent $200 on gas to pick it up 8 hours away...plus tax...I think we did OK.

I did not pay for it before my husband checked it out. I offered to send a deposit but the seller was good enough to hold it while my husband made the trip.

I too was worried about the smell...it was the first question I asked my husband when he got there...'How does it smell?'

In this case, the pictures did NOT make it look better. It was actually better than I expected when it finally arrived home last night. We are happy campers, for sure.
I am sorry to hear the 'horror' stories - but I thought I should contribute a story where the seller WAS honest.

Melanie
So good to hear that this world still has hope!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Would I buy- sight unseen?

Why not ? I just bought a Bigfoot 21 footer, sight unseen and about 2500 miles away! I leave within next couple of days to go get it!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #40

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Such good advice as always. You are my hero when it comes to vintage trailer advice. We took the sheet with us when looking and just yesterday brought home our 1977 Trillium 4500 after spending a good hour and a half inspecting every nook and cranny, top to bottom, interior and exterior. Found a two owner one stored indoors most of it's life so the fiberglass was n amazing condition. After much deliberation, the 4500 fit all our criteria, including the space for my tall, Viking hubs to comfortably be in. After I dragged him to see another 13' trailer and thought he looked like a wee kid in detention, I knew we either had to stay with our larger newer trailer or look at something a bit bigger. When he was in the 4500 he just looked comfortable in the larger front dinette seats and he fits well in the wider and longer rear dinette, bed combo. He can almost stand up in the 6'1" interior. Am making a curtain to divide the "bedroom" area from the rest of the trailer for porta potty privacy when needed and the design allows for stowage of such a thing without losing the dinette. Thanks for all the help.
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler