Would you buy a Boler without seeing it for yourself? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #29

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would mail a ck to hold it as a deposit, not to be cashed but as "good faith" and then take a cashiers or bank check for the total, get a contract of sale and go pick it up.
I don't fully understand the order...send the check, get a contract of sale, and then go pick it up, give him a bank draft, transfer ownership, then take it home??? What is a 'contract of sale'...I don't quite understand that part?

Please excuse my ignorance...

Old 07-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Ask the individual if they will hold the trailer as you are coming to get it or do they want a good faith deposit. Depending on what they say, mail a check as a deposit. They can either cash it or wait until you come pick it up with the balance or amount in full. Either way, time is of the essence. Then both of you sign a bill of sale/contract of sale/what ever you want to call it. Then obtain the title. Here in the US you will normally need a bill of sale and the title in order to get registration. You need to know what your local authorities require.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #31

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ask the individual if they will hold the trailer as you are coming to get it or do they want a good faith deposit. Depending on what they say, mail a check as a deposit. They can either cash it or wait until you come pick it up with the balance or amount in full. Either way, time is of the essence. Then both of you sign a bill of sale/contract of sale/what ever you want to call it. Then obtain the title. Here in the US you will normally need a bill of sale and the title in order to get registration. You need to know what your local authorities require.
I see...I think in Canada it's just a section you fill out on the back of the registration.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I see...I think in Canada it's just a section you fill out on the back of the registration.
Make absolutely certain of what you need. AND, if there's a title available... GET IT. IF you choose to sell in the future, have a clear title makes it so much easier/better.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #33

Name: CEC
Trailer: Surfside TM14 1975
Alberta
Registry
well one wants to always beleive in honest sellers however we did buy one from photos 3000 kms away and when I got there to pick it up found out lights not working, the windows were leaking ( wood was totally rotted and cranks broken) the floor was heavy with blakc mold ( Team Trillium had to use respirators to remove it when we got it home) the wiring was speaker wire not 110) the furnace was unsafe..and while driving the frame to axel bracket failed old damage from overloading the trailer and most likely going airborne with it causing the bracket to fold and crack) door hinges failing, l 400 overly worn oh and tires had the belts seperated...so having already paid for it we were stuck with it ...got tires fixed first then enroute back to the west noted the frame bracket issue as wheel had moved backtowards the well...once back in Calgary our repair bill with all the above addressed plus adding cushions, new wood doors etc was around $8000 a brand new L-400 bargman was another $375 plus shipping off ebay..so checking undercarriage axle and window seals in my experience a must..as that is expensive to fix...
Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #34

Name: Rod
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Exclamation I wouldn't do it ever again...

I bought a trailer site unseen having taken the sellers word for its condition after some lengthy phone conversations and have becoming "friends". I also drove 3000 KMs away to pick it up and take my vacation and it was a complete nightmare. I would say RVs look 70% better in pictures then they do in real life and you can't smell the pictures. I got to the pickup location and found the trailer to be a heap. I got the police involved after the selller wouldn't answer my calls to even give me the keys, only to find out that I was responsible for disposing of it as I had the faxed copy of the bill of sale in hand. This experience cost me $1000s of dollars and not to mention ruined my vacation. I was living my life in complete shame thinking that I was the only person this ever happened to until I read the post above this one. Thank-you for this. It's a buyer beware market. If the seller knows you are driving some distance to come and see it and won't hold it for you think of it as a blessing. There is nothing worse than buying a trailer and having to spend a bunch of money on it before you can use it. It kinda takes the joy out of it and you start your years of camping for the good memories on the wrong foot with a bad one. I am going to go to bed and cry myself to sleep now from remembering this traumatic experience.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #35

Nova Scotia
Registry
Happy Campers!

I started this thread because I'm a chicken and hardly ever gamble...especially when there's money involved. But - I am happy to report that we bought the 1977 Trillium and I love it. You can scroll back a bit to see pics. We paid $2900, spent $200 on gas to pick it up 8 hours away...plus tax...I think we did OK.

I did not pay for it before my husband checked it out. I offered to send a deposit but the seller was good enough to hold it while my husband made the trip.

I too was worried about the smell...it was the first question I asked my husband when he got there...'How does it smell?'

In this case, the pictures did NOT make it look better. It was actually better than I expected when it finally arrived home last night. We are happy campers, for sure.

I am sorry to hear the 'horror' stories - but I thought I should contribute a story where the seller WAS honest.

Melanie
Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #36
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Congratulations, Melanie. That's super! So glad you're happy with the deal. You are right, so often we hear about things that went wrong (and it's important that we do), but every once in awhile it's reassuring to know that sometimes things go right.

Looking forward now to pics of camping trips!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #37

Name: CEC
Trailer: Surfside TM14 1975
Alberta
Registry
Think the key was they waited for you to see if before taking your cash...congrats...
Old 07-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #38

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I started this thread because I'm a chicken and hardly ever gamble...especially when there's money involved. But - I am happy to report that we bought the 1977 Trillium and I love it. You can scroll back a bit to see pics. We paid $2900, spent $200 on gas to pick it up 8 hours away...plus tax...I think we did OK.

I did not pay for it before my husband checked it out. I offered to send a deposit but the seller was good enough to hold it while my husband made the trip.

I too was worried about the smell...it was the first question I asked my husband when he got there...'How does it smell?'

In this case, the pictures did NOT make it look better. It was actually better than I expected when it finally arrived home last night. We are happy campers, for sure.
I am sorry to hear the 'horror' stories - but I thought I should contribute a story where the seller WAS honest.

Melanie
So good to hear that this world still has hope!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Would I buy- sight unseen?

Why not ? I just bought a Bigfoot 21 footer, sight unseen and about 2500 miles away! I leave within next couple of days to go get it!

Tags
boler