Would you ever go to a "Stick Built Camper" - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 02:34 AM   #81

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
I’m enjoying reading your thoughts on your treasured fiberglass campers. One question that won’t go away for me is how do you deal with such a small refrigerator? I’m going to be doing primarily boondocking and I know I’ll be in some pretty remote areas where I won’t be able to go to the store every other day. What do you do?
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:09 AM   #82

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
A small refrigerator is one of the issues with a smaller trailer. Some people carry a stand alone refrigerator like (Amazon)Dometic CFX-75DZW Black/Gray CFX75 DUAL Portable Refrigerator/Freezer (Zone, 2.5 Cu.ft. 120/12-24V with Wifi).

We don't have room in the trailer nor in the truck to store a unit like this.

We just don't dry camp for more than about 7to 10 days, tops. We then break camp and stop at a store to replenish.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:03 AM   #83

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the fridge on our e21 is like 6 cubic feet. I also have a 55 qt Canyon Cooler ice box which if its deep frozen and you're not restocking with uncold stuff, will stay cold for a week.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #84

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
mbbear....

When reading your question re: the limited fridge size, I found myself a bit amused. Many have become so accustomed to frozen or refrigerated foods or preprepared items that they've lost a bit of perspective re: past methods that work.

I make liberal use of canned foods, or add-water instants. While admitting that I'm now a solitary RVr, I find I seldom if ever fully fill my Liberty's fridge to capacity (except for the mandatory gallon of iced tea).

Not much of a sacrifice....just a more old traditional RVing menu....and one less irritant or problem.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #85

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
I too found the Casita a bit small for our needs. Purchased an Oliver Travel Trailer Legacy Elite II as a result. Its a high end 4 season at 23 1/2 feet. Love it.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #86

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I suppose you mean Scamp and Casita. I don't see it, though. Sales at Scamp and Casita have not suffered as a result of Escape's entry into the market. Many Escape owners started out in a Scamp or Casita and traded up. There will always be room for entry-level trailers, and the slow pace of change is what helps them maintain entry-level prices.

If someone else can figure out how to produce a better small 13'-16' molded trailer at Scamp or Casita prices, I'm all for it!
Bigger has not proven to be better, most traded up for size.
Having no use for the carton,I'll stick with the egg!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #87

Name: Tyler
Trailer: SOLD 1988 Bigfoot F-20 DLX
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
I’m enjoying reading your thoughts on your treasured fiberglass campers. One question that won’t go away for me is how do you deal with such a small refrigerator? I’m going to be doing primarily boondocking and I know I’ll be in some pretty remote areas where I won’t be able to go to the store every other day. What do you do?

A valid consideration. But J.F.Y does make a good point about reconsidering the type of food you'll use. After all, boondocking is a lifestyle that requires several reconsiderations/compromises from the "norm" house life. There are numerous dry good options that have years of shelf life. Of course, who wouldn't want a gigantic chest freezer for extended camping? But the energy drain and footprint would be enormous and impractical.

When I was thinking of going the boondock route with a small trailer, I was expecting to have to make due with one of those tiny fridge-and-freezer-in-one units like you see in cheap hotels (where the freezer is just big enough for a package of hot dogs). I was pleasantly surprised when I purchased the Bigfoot and found a quite spacious SEPARATE fridge and freezer, just a smaller version of what I was used to in a home.

I've noticed this "large" fridge and freezer in some Scamps, too.
traveltrailertyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #88

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
After owing a Casita the "stick built campers" no longer appeal to me, just that type of construction turns me off. For what I've seen the "Egg type campers" are truly a work of art and construction. Yes we pay more for fiberglass, but the cost is so little for what you get and the only main outside upkeep is lightly buff and wax once a year and your trailer will have to look of new for a long time. That's one good days work once a year for a lifetime of looks and value. I think the saying, "You pay for what you get" still applies today and campers are included in this saying.

trainman
I totally agree with you. We have owned stick built pickup campers and the last one which had a rubber roof sealed the deal for me and not in a positive way. I got so tired of climbing up there and scrubbing that stuff I said never again. The white stuff kept sloughing off the roof and down the sides. Stickies also are a leak waiting to happen. Despite my re-caulking efforts on our stick builts, I was always fighting leaking and the eventual rot!

My disgust for that led to our discovery of molded fiberglass!

Our criteria for an RV was it had to be small, no rubber roof, the top easily maintained from a ladder without climbing on top, have a bed made up, a dinette, reefer and bathroom, not necessarily in that order. We love our Casita!
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #89

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
I have always been aware of the high resale of the fiberglass campers. In my experience it's much better than a stick built.

And as gas prices inch higher the small glass trailers are going to look more attractive.

In my opinion the stick built's are just not a good value.

And yes as a boy I picked cotton by hand.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #90

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by birchbark View Post
You should just copy this and send it in an email to the company, asking them to make a Youtube answering the questions. They are great questions.

They do mention a one-piece roof.
I sent my series of questions to the owner of Taylor Coach. This is the reply I got:

Hi Henry

Every aspect of how we build the coach is tried tested and true, we run spring suspension, and have the truest most confident tow on the road, things like 15” tires are not needed because our weights are so much lower then other brands and our units are can see endless miles of logging roads and cross country trips for 40+ years.

Cheers

Brad Taylor

Notice he did not directly address any of the questions I posed. So the only way to know if his trailer is well made is to go and see in person.

Back to the drawing board, as they say.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #91

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Taking a look at Heartland traiers based on recommendations. First thing I noticed is they are Thor Industries. Probably tough to survive without that kind of capital and expertise. Like 'em or not, the big firms probably supply both.

Under Heartland are 25 combinations of brands & trailer types.
Terry, Prowler, Mallard, Road Warrior, Sundance, Torque, Trail Runner, Wilderness, Landmark, Pioneer, Fuel, Elkridge, Gateway, Big Horn, Big Country, Cyclone...more. I don't see the MPG brand mentioned earlier. Maybe: Fuel?

More flavors than Baskin Robins. Slides seem to be nearly standard equipment.

Factory, looks to be in downtown Elkhart.

I suppose I would look at an RV show.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #92

Mid Left Coast
...Mallard... wasn't that the brand on that pile of trailer trash in that video posted a few days back?
Old 06-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #93

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Thor's purchase of Heartland is relatively recent, around 2010. I believe the other names mentioned are brands controlled by Thor, rather than brands associated with the old Heartland.

MPG was not a Heartland 'brand' but rather a model name. Just like KZ RV has models with names like Sportsmen, Spree, etc. The Heartland MPG is a rounded-roof design with outrigger wheels, similar to Forest River's RPod. The MPG has little to no upper storage cabinets, by the way, and on most models the galley is on a slideout (imagine trying to maintain integrity of the electrical and propane lines attached to a moving slideout).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #94

Name: Dave
Trailer: in the process of buying a Casita 17 Liberty Delux
Ohio
Airstream leaks

Do Airstreams have a problem with leaking? That is a deal-breaker for me.
Dave8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #95

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8850 View Post
Do Airstreams have a problem with leaking? That is a deal-breaker for me.
apparently you're supposed to reseal the seams every 5 years.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #96

Name: Dave
Trailer: in the process of buying a Casita 17 Liberty Delux
Ohio
I’m going to stick with my Casita. If I need something bigger, I’ll buy an escape, but bigger sizes have different problems.
Dave8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #97

Name: Nick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Escapes require that too---Oh wait, no they don't. Guess they charge extra for that privilege.:
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #98

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I sent my series of questions to the owner of Taylor Coach. This is the reply I got:

Hi Henry

Every aspect of how we build the coach is tried tested and true, we run spring suspension, and have the truest most confident tow on the road, things like 15” tires are not needed because our weights are so much lower then other brands and our units are can see endless miles of logging roads and cross country trips for 40+ years.

Cheers

Brad Taylor

Notice he did not directly address any of the questions I posed.
Yep, you're right. What exactly does "tried tested and true" mean? That's not data. I also chuckled about his comment concerning 15" wheels. My Escape has tandem 15" wheels and is in the same weight range as that stickie.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #99

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Perhaps you might want to ask that on the Airstream forum. You might get a bit of a different response.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #100

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Brad 8850- In '02 we bought a 25' one owner Airstream in Salt Lake and headed back to Dallas. Owner said he had just replaced the rear window seal because of a water leak. First day out, sunshine. Second day was rainy. It leaked for the next 6 yrs. we owned it. Airstream repair shop it was the rear cap rivets. Replaced all with o-ring rivets. I even chalked every rivet on top. Had it pressurized two times with no luck. Finally just ignored it since it was on the wife's twin bed. Lawyers are expensive compared to repairing a water leak on an Airstream.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote