Would You Share Your Experiences With 12 Volt TV's? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2014, 05:40 AM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Thank you for all the replies to my post about the TV. I'm sorry it took so long to write back, but a long day at work and a longer evening carting my kids around!

I think I need to clarify, as I really didn't state why I wanted a 12 V TV. I only have one electrical outlet in my scamp, and didn't want it taken up with a tv/plug. The previous owner installed a 12 V connector (is that what it's called?) I just figured since that is sitting there, why not plug a 12V TV into it so I don't use up my outlet space with another electrical cord? Lord knows my kids will want their cell phones plugged in 24/7. I guess that's why I looked for a 12 V TV. Steve Outlaw, I want to understand your reply, but I really don't have enough knowledge. I won't be "hard wiring" the TV...I really don't understand what you mean because I simply don't have the experience.

Do the Jensen TV's come with a car cord adapter? I guess that's what I'm looking for...again so I won't have to use the electrical outlet "space." Also happy to buy a regular TV that would run off 12V...that's why I posted this thread, so I could learn about some brand names that would work.

I really don't want to go beyond 15" or so, as I have a Scamp 13, and don't want the TV bigger than the trailer...Ha Ha!

Sincerely,
Wendy
Wendy

Just buy a power strip then?

You can then have as many 120v outlets as you would ever need or want.

Or did I not understand what you said?

The deal here is that finding a decent 12vdc TV is nearly as simple as getting a 120vac TV. The brands and quality in general is nowhere as nice and options are so limited that if you can be running on AC and just need the outlet to do so,make more outlets!

On the other hand if you do need it to be 12vdc and only 15" it really does not matter at that size they will truly all be about the same so just buy the cheapest one that you can find.

The thing many are telling you is that while some advertise the 12vdc as a feature others do run on 12vdc but don't tell you so????

If you go to a store and look at the plug in transformers that power the TV and they say 12vDC on then then you will just need a simple wire adapter to make it work on 12vdc.

Unlike what Bob said,it is rare I have found that if a TV has a transformer that it is a 12vdc transformer,you really need to look to be sure.
I have looked at hundreds of sets over the years and the ones that run on DC is rare and 12vdc even more rare.
I have found several but hardly a majority and rarely better in quality models.

Again though if it is truly as you say above my post here,just buy a power strip and get any cheap 120vac model.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #22

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
OMG: Those are expensive....

For those prices you can buy 2 or 3 flat screen TV's that work on 120 VAC and a small plug in inverter to go with each one of them. Or at least two flat screen TV's that have external power supplies that will work on both voltages.

I'm sorry, I didn't see a caveat concern price by the OP.

"I'm writing to see if anybody would be willing to share their experiences and/or make a recommendation for a 12 volt ac dc tv."

I’m sure there are cheaper models than Jensen out there and if they suit your needs, then go for it. I apologize for being financially out of line.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: 12 VDC power cords.

If you do find a 120VAC/12VDC set that doesn't offer a 12 volt power cord, a trip to any electronics supply store with the original power supply should do the trick. Just tell them that you need a cord with a 12 volt Power Outlet plug on one end and a plug that matches whats on the 12VDC end of the power supply on the other.

Vizio doesn't offer such a cord, but Radio Shack does etc.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't see a caveat concern price by the OP.

"I'm writing to see if anybody would be willing to share their experiences and/or make a recommendation for a 12 volt ac dc tv."

I’m sure there are cheaper models than Jensen out there and if they suit your needs, then go for it. I apologize for being financially out of line.

Neither do I have any idea about the op's price concerns might be. I was just commenting on the much higher prices for the Jensen 12 VDC only sets.

But, I am guessing that most on this site tend to be on the thrifty side when possible. Of course we could always take yet another poll.....

Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Jensen products are built for marine/wet/ environments. They seal the electronics with paraffin to keep moisture away from the components. Their chassis is normally metal and can withstand the vigors or bumpy roads. That said, try putting your household tv in your backseat and see how long it will operate.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jensen products are built for marine/wet/ environments. They seal the electronics with paraffin to keep moisture away from the components. Their chassis is normally metal and can withstand the vigors or bumpy roads. That said, try putting your household tv in your backseat and see how long it will operate.
Great idea,I do it all the time as do all of us unless we get the Jensen set!

It is mostly marketing hype and not worth the extra money from my experience.

I have rarely seen any newer LCD TV fail in an Egg.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #27

Pennsylvania
Registry
I have rarely seen any newer LCD TV fail in an Egg. probably because most owners will remove their tv over the winter and remove them and stow away in a safe spot while in transit. LCD's tv can freeze in the winter, they recommend 40-100 F for lcd. The newer LED televisions are not subject to temperature changes and are a lot lighter. Therefore they can be left on the mount year round, no issues.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #28

Quote:
As soon as you mentioned "Marine" I knew why the Jensen TV's were so expensive.

I have lost count of how many flat screen TV's (at least 15?) I have mounted in Motorhomes and trailers, both for my self and customers, everyone of them a "Household" type TV, and I have only seen one fail, and that happened when the owner made a new 12 VDC power cable and wired it backwards. It was an early, analog only, Samsung flat screen and didn't like that one bit.

BUT>>> I can see a need for the Jensen water proofing in sticky's, as they do "occasionally" leak...... LOL

Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I have rarely seen any newer LCD TV fail in an Egg. probably because most owners will remove their tv over the winter and remove them and stow away in a safe spot while in transit. LCD's tv can freeze in the winter, they recommend 40-100 F for lcd. The newer LED televisions are not subject to temperature changes and are a lot lighter. Therefore they can be left on the mount year round, no issues.
I guess I will find out. My 15" RCA is still in the van, in Ontario, all winter long. If it is dead come the summer, I will be a bit disappointed.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #30

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
When it fail, I'll buy a new (newer and better) one. I see no reason to overpay and watch out of dated TV set for years.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have used household TVs in our rigs. The first we used for 8 years and the second is in year 5. We average 225 days a year on the road and some of the roughest roads. Today's household TV is very well built.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Don't forget a laptop with HDMI output works well for playing movies from the DVD drive, digital file, or if internet is available streaming.

I think most TV's today will have an HDMI input or more than one.

If you already carry a laptop adding an HDMI cable is less "stuff" to pack than adding a DVD drive just for the TV. Probably depends on how often you watch DVD's as to if laptop would be sufficient.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #33

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you for all your great ideas, thoughts and replies. I can't say this too frequently...the FGRV forum has taught me so much...like a little "go to" manual right at my fingertips. At this juncture, I decided on a 15" Skyworth with DVD player. I read one of the posts that talked about checking out a trucker website, and that's what I did. This TV has 2, 5 watt speakers, lots of inputs/outputs, takes a car cord for my 12V connector, and has a backlight display, which makes the picture better. It is higher priced than the NAXA (which I also like), but what I like about it is it is energy star, has built in circuit protection and runs on lower voltage (which is nice if you're dry camping). $190 bucks at Amazon, $183 at EBay (same seller, "Limited Goods"). It is also $189 at roadtrucker.com If anybody wants the link, I'll be glad to share.

I am going to get an outlet strip as well...I remember needing one in my pop up for all the gizmos the kids bring...leaving me no room to plug in my much needed coffee pot at 7 am!

Cheers to you all and Happy Saturday,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #34

Pennsylvania
Registry
One final item, make sure the speakers are in the front, rear facing ones are hard to listen to.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #35

Name: Jane
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
California
I'll be interested to hear about the Skyworth as my spouse wants a television. I'm resisting, but in the end, I know won't win this one! ;-)
Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #36

Florida
A power strip is easy to add however you'll generally be happier adding more outlets.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
A power strip is easy to add however you'll generally be happier adding more outlets.
It sounded to me like the only thing preventing a TV being in there was the lack of an outlet which could not be any more simply remedied than with a power strip?

Are you really suggesting cutting into the fiberglass instead just to have flush outlets?
This sure would not make me happy!

Also there are bad speakers in TVs whether in the front or bottom but no one ever thinks about this when picking a TV.
It is also almost impossible to listen to one in a store even if it is connected.
It is sad but true the audio is a crap shoot every time unless using an external sound system.

My last TV had a problem with sound where it would not go low enough and be at a whisper level,it drove me crazy! I have never had one like that it was either off and muted or too loud at the lowest setting?

So now I have a better set in there and much better audio too but it is not always as simple as we would hope.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #38

Pennsylvania
Registry
You can always get a Bluetooth adapter and a nice bluetooth speaker, that is what I did so I can place the sound at a lower volume on the table vs across the room at a louder volume.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #39

Florida
Ed, We have added a number of outlets to our Scamp. I think we now have 11 AC outlets and 3 DC outlets plus 6 USB outlets. We did cut the fiberglass for a number of them. We also cut the fiberglass for 6 drawers, a hamper and a homestyle air conditioner.

I don't hesitate to cut the inside glass to improve the rig. I have yet to cut thru the body.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ed, We have added a number of outlets to our Scamp. I think we now have 11 AC outlets and 3 DC outlets plus 6 USB outlets. We did cut the fiberglass for a number of them. We also cut the fiberglass for 6 drawers, a hamper and a homestyle air conditioner.

I don't hesitate to cut the inside glass to improve the rig. I have yet to cut thru the body.
Norm
I hear you loud and clear,I also do not hesitate to cut in the pursuit of any mod I think of but the O.P. here hardly seems ready for that from what I can tell?

I was just suggesting in the spirit of this thread it seems like a far off option to cut in an outlet as opposed to plugging in a power strip,don't you think?

Likewise adding things to a TV to get sound out,using a computer instead of a $25.00 DVD player etc. seems far afield of this thread at this time to me.

Hoping to keep confusion to a minimum for a newer member.