Would You Share Your Experiences With 12 Volt TV's? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have rarely seen any newer LCD TV fail in an Egg. probably because most owners will remove their tv over the winter and remove them and stow away in a safe spot while in transit. LCD's tv can freeze in the winter, they recommend 40-100 F for lcd. The newer LED televisions are not subject to temperature changes and are a lot lighter. Therefore they can be left on the mount year round, no issues.
I guess I will find out. My 15" RCA is still in the van, in Ontario, all winter long. If it is dead come the summer, I will be a bit disappointed.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #30

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jensen products are built for marine/wet/ environments. They seal the electronics with paraffin to keep moisture away from the components. Their chassis is normally metal and can withstand the vigors or bumpy roads. That said, try putting your household tv in your backseat and see how long it will operate.
When it fail, I'll buy a new (newer and better) one. I see no reason to overpay and watch out of dated TV set for years.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have used household TVs in our rigs. The first we used for 8 years and the second is in year 5. We average 225 days a year on the road and some of the roughest roads. Today's household TV is very well built.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Don't forget a laptop with HDMI output works well for playing movies from the DVD drive, digital file, or if internet is available streaming.

I think most TV's today will have an HDMI input or more than one.

If you already carry a laptop adding an HDMI cable is less "stuff" to pack than adding a DVD drive just for the TV. Probably depends on how often you watch DVD's as to if laptop would be sufficient.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #33

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you for all your great ideas, thoughts and replies. I can't say this too frequently...the FGRV forum has taught me so much...like a little "go to" manual right at my fingertips. At this juncture, I decided on a 15" Skyworth with DVD player. I read one of the posts that talked about checking out a trucker website, and that's what I did. This TV has 2, 5 watt speakers, lots of inputs/outputs, takes a car cord for my 12V connector, and has a backlight display, which makes the picture better. It is higher priced than the NAXA (which I also like), but what I like about it is it is energy star, has built in circuit protection and runs on lower voltage (which is nice if you're dry camping). $190 bucks at Amazon, $183 at EBay (same seller, "Limited Goods"). It is also $189 at roadtrucker.com If anybody wants the link, I'll be glad to share.

I am going to get an outlet strip as well...I remember needing one in my pop up for all the gizmos the kids bring...leaving me no room to plug in my much needed coffee pot at 7 am!

Cheers to you all and Happy Saturday,
Wendy
Old 02-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #34

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
One final item, make sure the speakers are in the front, rear facing ones are hard to listen to.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #35

Name: Jane
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
California
I'll be interested to hear about the Skyworth as my spouse wants a television. I'm resisting, but in the end, I know won't win this one! ;-)
Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #36

Florida
A power strip is easy to add however you'll generally be happier adding more outlets.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #37

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
A power strip is easy to add however you'll generally be happier adding more outlets.
It sounded to me like the only thing preventing a TV being in there was the lack of an outlet which could not be any more simply remedied than with a power strip?

Are you really suggesting cutting into the fiberglass instead just to have flush outlets?
This sure would not make me happy!

Also there are bad speakers in TVs whether in the front or bottom but no one ever thinks about this when picking a TV.
It is also almost impossible to listen to one in a store even if it is connected.
It is sad but true the audio is a crap shoot every time unless using an external sound system.

My last TV had a problem with sound where it would not go low enough and be at a whisper level,it drove me crazy! I have never had one like that it was either off and muted or too loud at the lowest setting?

So now I have a better set in there and much better audio too but it is not always as simple as we would hope.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #38

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You can always get a Bluetooth adapter and a nice bluetooth speaker, that is what I did so I can place the sound at a lower volume on the table vs across the room at a louder volume.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #39

Florida
Ed, We have added a number of outlets to our Scamp. I think we now have 11 AC outlets and 3 DC outlets plus 6 USB outlets. We did cut the fiberglass for a number of them. We also cut the fiberglass for 6 drawers, a hamper and a homestyle air conditioner.

I don't hesitate to cut the inside glass to improve the rig. I have yet to cut thru the body.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #40

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ed, We have added a number of outlets to our Scamp. I think we now have 11 AC outlets and 3 DC outlets plus 6 USB outlets. We did cut the fiberglass for a number of them. We also cut the fiberglass for 6 drawers, a hamper and a homestyle air conditioner.

I don't hesitate to cut the inside glass to improve the rig. I have yet to cut thru the body.
Norm
I hear you loud and clear,I also do not hesitate to cut in the pursuit of any mod I think of but the O.P. here hardly seems ready for that from what I can tell?

I was just suggesting in the spirit of this thread it seems like a far off option to cut in an outlet as opposed to plugging in a power strip,don't you think?

Likewise adding things to a TV to get sound out,using a computer instead of a $25.00 DVD player etc. seems far afield of this thread at this time to me.

Hoping to keep confusion to a minimum for a newer member.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #41

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you, CPAHarley, about the recommendation to check for front speakers. I did, and they are! JaneM., I will be placing the order tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I think after I fire it up!

Now some more honesty...sometimes, I can be really stupid. I guess what it is, is that I don't always see simple problem solving solutions, so instead, I make mountains out of them. You are right Ed, I'm a newbie, and everything I know right now I pick up from reading and talking with you folks. I am not ready to cut an electrical outlet, but a power strip I can handle! Tee hee.

With all that said, I am preparing though. I bought cedar for shelves, a closet door from scamp, the pvc pipe for the closet mod thing, peel rivets for the awning rail, a tv mount...I'm trying to get one thing a month before late spring comes when I can do some work. And for most of the work, I will read through all of my posts and go slow, being sure to save the beer for afterwards.

The awning rail job I will not do alone. If I get the confidence to cut my own closet door hole below the one I have, I'd sure have the confidence to cut an electrical outlet hole...but that is down the road, and me sitting inside there thinking and tinkering. I'd stop full short of the wiring though...leave that to my electrician.

Needless to say, I went out tonight and got a power strip. DUH! After reading some of my posts, you good people probably think I'm a ditz. Well, maybe a little, but I also think it's wise to be self-deprecating.

Cheers to all of you wonderful, passionate folks. I appreciate you!

With gratitude,
Wendy
Old 02-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #42

Name: Beverly J
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Washington
Is anyone aware of a small flat screen that has built in wifi....a mini Smart TV?