Would You Share Your Experiences With 12 Volt TV's? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #41

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you, CPAHarley, about the recommendation to check for front speakers. I did, and they are! JaneM., I will be placing the order tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I think after I fire it up!

Now some more honesty...sometimes, I can be really stupid. I guess what it is, is that I don't always see simple problem solving solutions, so instead, I make mountains out of them. You are right Ed, I'm a newbie, and everything I know right now I pick up from reading and talking with you folks. I am not ready to cut an electrical outlet, but a power strip I can handle! Tee hee.

With all that said, I am preparing though. I bought cedar for shelves, a closet door from scamp, the pvc pipe for the closet mod thing, peel rivets for the awning rail, a tv mount...I'm trying to get one thing a month before late spring comes when I can do some work. And for most of the work, I will read through all of my posts and go slow, being sure to save the beer for afterwards.

The awning rail job I will not do alone. If I get the confidence to cut my own closet door hole below the one I have, I'd sure have the confidence to cut an electrical outlet hole...but that is down the road, and me sitting inside there thinking and tinkering. I'd stop full short of the wiring though...leave that to my electrician.

Needless to say, I went out tonight and got a power strip. DUH! After reading some of my posts, you good people probably think I'm a ditz. Well, maybe a little, but I also think it's wise to be self-deprecating.

Cheers to all of you wonderful, passionate folks. I appreciate you!

With gratitude,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #42

Name: Beverly J
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Washington
Is anyone aware of a small flat screen that has built in wifi....a mini Smart TV?
Beverly Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #43

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Do you mean a computer and a tv? Have not, but I got this gadget that converts my tv to bluetooth so I can listen to the sound right on the table with a bluetooth speaker vs across the dinette.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Jones View Post
Is anyone aware of a small flat screen that has built in wifi....a mini Smart TV?
It's called an iPad. But, where's the other end for the WiFi signal? Campgrounds are notorious for lousy WiFi, and many have cable hookups.
As for over-the-air reception, it depends where you camp. Probably pretty good at Pike's Place Market.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #45

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Beverly

It appears that the 24" Vizio is the smallest TV with smart apps built-in.

I don't know if you appreciate the way these work or not?

They require a fast internet connection which you will probably need to supply yourself to use any of the smart features like Netflix.
If a Campground offers WiFi at all it will rarely be up to the task of streaming Netflix and everyone else in the campground will have slow internet if you are using all the bandwidth to stream!

Not all that practical. Further and to speak to your other question a little bit,we have talked about over the air reception and antennas probably every single week here and there are many threads about it so I suggest you search a little bit and then ask specific questions if you still have them we just seem to cover the exact same ground over and over and over and the info is right here for the finding.

Same goes for mounting,powering and carrying a TV in the trailer.

Sort of like a hidden treasure!

Just one idea.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #46

Washington
Ed,

Yes, I just did a search on TV's and I came up with the same results.
So, it seems if you want to watch TV it might be best to just bring your computer and some DVD's. If I find myself at a campground that has wifi then it's a plus, but chances are the strength of the signal will be lessened by everyone wanting on it.

Thanks Ed for your advice.
Bev
Old 02-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #47

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Jones View Post
Ed,

Yes, I just did a search on TV's and I came up with the same results.
So, it seems if you want to watch TV it might be best to just bring your computer and some DVD's. If I find myself at a campground that has wifi then it's a plus, but chances are the strength of the signal will be lessened by everyone wanting on it.

Thanks Ed for your advice.
Bev
Bev

I just have a $25.00 DVD player that lives in the trailer but I also try to pull in TV signals way too hard,sort of a Hobby I guess?

The short answer is that the biggest antenna that you can or are willing to get the highest in the air that you can will always give the best signal.

As for WiFi and streaming programming,this is the last thing they design campground internet systems for they are mainly designed as a convenience for getting email and other light duty and will rarely perform as a Smart TV requires from my experience.

Anyway I didn't mean to sound harsh above but there really is sooooooo much good info here already about this that searching will get you more info than you ever would want to read I am sure.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #48

Washington
No worries
Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #49

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've just started using our Verizon 3G hotspot to watch some TV episodes we had missed, connecting our Chromebook to the TV via an HDMI cable. It worked very well.

We are fortunate in that our Verizon Hotspot has no data limit.

We have yet to use our smart phones to play thru the TV.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #50

Washington
I have T - Mobile, and recently down graded my data so when I hit a certain used amount it slows down. I may need to upgrade, or think about switching if this works.
I don't know anything about Chromebook, will need to investigate about Hotspots, Chromebook and HDMI.
So, you're viewing thru you computer, not your TV?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #51

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Beverly,

A Chromebook is a Google/Android based computer, it looks like a PC Laptop but uses a different operating system.

We plug a cable from the computer to the TV. The picture is seen on our TV and the sound comes from the TV.

The show were watching is selected on the computer.

It's possible to use our smart phones the same way via a similar cable.

We use Verizon because they never seem to slow us down and seem to be available
most everywhere we go.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #52

Washington
I've got a Samsung Android S2, and you think I might be able to connect my phone to my Smart TV, and get a show?
Sorry, I'm such a know nothing about how to hook elements together to make them work in different ways.
I really want to thank you for your knowledge!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #53

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I have a 15" Naxa connected to a Roku through an HDMI cable. It makes the inexpensive TV act like a smart TV, but it does require an internet connection, just like a smart TV. When it's connected, it pulls in Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, etc.