Would your loan out your egg? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #71

Name: Camilla
Trailer: 73 Playpac
Kentucky
I would but it would depend on to whom. To people I know well for sure will take care of it I wouldn't have a problem at all.

But remember... I'm the one that's going to redo it so girly that I may even paint it pink so no boys will even think about asking me to using for a hunting buggy...

Camilla

Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #72

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
The wife and I wanted the use of a trailer, ... so we bought one.

We bore the expense of the purchase, the licensing, the insurance etc. We perform the maintenance as needed.

People who do not own a trailer, nor have gone through what it takes to be an owner have a great amount of Gaul to assume they can ask for, and use someone elseís trailer

I personally consider it the height of arrogance and ignorance for anyone to assume they have the right to use my personal property.
If they have a desire to use a trailer, they have the same right to purchase and maintain a trailer for their use as we did.

There are far too many people in this world who want to take the ride, but they donít want to buy the ticket. They are called ďMoochersĒ and it doesnít matter who they are related to.

Anyone who wants to wear underwear should buy some, Ö. They arenít wearing mine.

Anyone who wants to use a trailer should buy one, .... they arenít using mine.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #73

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I'm not a person that's attached to things, but I am very attached to what some things can do for me. My trailer is one of those. These trailers are not that easy to replace, even if money is not an object. Most of us, even with new trailers, have spent some doing things to them to make them ours, than increases the difficulty of replacing the trailer.
We like the idea of being able to hook-up and leave in less than an hours notice. The time spent out is very valuable to us.
I've spent a lot hours learning how to properly tow, how to properly do small things, like closing the door without damage, following a check list when hooking up, etc.

Therefore the loss of use would be hard to take, if any damage was done. The chances of damage done when loaning it out are just too great. Rather than risk a friendship, or risk anger at a family member, or the loss of use, my trailer will NOT be loaned out to anybody.

We've made that pretty clear to family members and so far with friends without saying directly NO.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #74

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
We hide ours in the garage and slip in and out in the dark of night. So far the only ones that know we have it are all of you and you have your own trailers....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #75

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Not No, but <span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">#@!! no!</span>
Old 11-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #76

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Not No, but <span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">#@!! no!</span>
Chris, please... this is a family oriented site. We don't allow that kind of language here.

Roger
Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #77

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Sure, and we have.

Loriís parents had need of it and they are way more important then any old trailer. They treat it better then we do and were very appreciative.

When Loriís mother had a heart attack, it was used at the hospital RV area in the back.

We would loan it to them any time.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #78

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Sure, and we have.

Loriís parents had need of it and they are way more important then any old trailer. They treat it better then we do and were very appreciative.

When Loriís mother had a heart attack, it was used at the hospital RV area in the back.

We would loan it to them any time.

That's very nice of you.
I think if Anne's or my parents were still alive I probably would do the same. However, if either set were still alive, they probably would still have their own trailers. We all say NO, but under certain circumstances that would probably change. Thanks for a more realistic point of view.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #79

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
There are a very few people that we would gladly share our equipment with. They are usually the ones who also have equipment that they would gladly share with us, and we know in advance how it is going to be treated.

Other than that I have a very simple answer, and it is never no. "I will gladly sell you whatever you are asking to borrow for xyz dollars." You want to bet the price I quote as part of the statement will replace it with something much better.

Once I actually got taken up on it, a neighbour I barely knew paid me $75.00 for a set of $25.00 jack stands.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #80

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Once I actually got taken up on it, a neighbour I barely knew paid me $75.00 for a set of $25.00 jack stands.
Is this one of those 10 easy ways to win friends and influence people>
Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #81

Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
I have to say this is the first time I have felt so out of step with almost everyone on this website. I had not seen this thread before but am stunned at how attached so many people are to their trailers. Our Burro is new to us and already has generated a number of terrific memories and adventures, and I am sure there are more to come. But of what consequence is that in relation to family and friends. Simply by having one of these magnificent toys, we are proclaiming that we are among the "have" segment of society, and I cannot guess (and hope never to know) how churlish I would feel by refusing to share it with family or close friends, if they ask. And if insurance is your concern, simply ask them to pay whatever it would cost to put a rider on your policy that would allow such use. Then bask in the glow that comes from family and friends, just as many of you in the U.S. are preparing to do this weekend.
cheers
Ian
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #82

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I have to say this is the first time I have felt so out of step with almost everyone on this website. I had not seen this thread before but am stunned at how attached so many people are to their trailers. Our Burro is new to us and already has generated a number of terrific memories and adventures, and I am sure there are more to come. But of what consequence is that in relation to family and friends. Simply by having one of these magnificent toys, we are proclaiming that we are among the "have" segment of society, and I cannot guess (and hope never to know) how churlish I would feel by refusing to share it with family or close friends, if they ask. And if insurance is your concern, simply ask them to pay whatever it would cost to put a rider on your policy that would allow such use. Then bask in the glow that comes from family and friends, just as many of you in the U.S. are preparing to do this weekend.
cheers
Ian
It would be nice to be able to feel this, but reality sets in. Some friends and relatives would bring it back is as good a shape or better than it left, but others would trash it. (Don't ask how I know this?). Sometimes it's hard to tell which is which and even if you know who would take good care and who wouldn't take of it, there's still a problem. Example 2 of my kids probably wouldn't bring it back in good shape, two would. I can't loan my trailer to one and not the others. In fact one of the kids if they want to borrow something I either give it to them or tell them no. Insurance doesn't cover damage done by misuse.

It's great that you feel your family and friends would take such good care of your things. I hope you don't get disappointed.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #83

Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Quote:
It's great that you feel your family and friends would take such good care of your things. I hope you don't get disappointed.
I may be disappointed, but that's happened before. But I think the price, whatever it is, is small compared to the rewards.
cheers
Ian
Old 11-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #84

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I think Shakespeare had it correct.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be

Meaning - Literal meaning.

Origin - From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1603:

LORD POLONIUS:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

What this topic has told me, is for the most part molded fiberglass RV owners are not generally borrowers... nor lenders. I'm certain in life there are individuals who choose to not own anything, but prefer to borrow everything. Borrow a truck to move, borrow tools to work around the house, borrow a trailer to vacation. It's those individuals method of stretching their dollars at the expense of those who choose to save and invest in the things they want/need in their own lives.

I'm grateful, I was raised to NOT be a borrower. I live in a town that has several "Rental" companies. If I need a tool, I rent it. I'd be glad to give out the RV rental company phone number to anyone who asked.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper