Wrecked Fiberglass Trailers FWIW - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #1

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Wrecked Fiberglass Trailers FWIW

Over the past couple of years I have been monitoring wrecked fiberglass trailers. The information is not a formal or by no means an official or an all inclusive survey, just what I picked up from this and other websites. I did not count tree, hail or flood damage to trailers. In most cases I did not have access to the cause of the accident and will only list a description of the damage. I also feel it is best not to name the manufacturer of the trailers.

Brand 1: 1 rollover, 1 rear ended and side swiped.
Brand 2: 4 rollovers, 1 undetermined, (could be rear ended or rollover)
Brand 3: 3 rear ended ,(maybe one more)
Brand 4: 1 rear ended

Like I said FWIW.
Eddie

Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Interesting topic Eddie. I always assumed that the small, aerodynamic, easy tow FG trailers would be a trouble free tow. It would be great to see the data to see why they would roll. Driver error, inadequate connection, outside influence???

Rear ended: The 1st thing one thinks of is the trailer wiring connector coming loose or faulty wiring causing a loss of brake lights.

Also the fact that folks tend to drive slower when towing a trailer tailgating them is common. Because of this there could be more rear ending.

Without data we can only speculate.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are two recent rear ending cases by trucks. A close following truck driver many times can not see the stop lights on a trailer over the hood of the truck. Whether this was the reason or not is unknown but is a possibility. It could also have been driver inattentiveness. I had one truck driver at a shop I worked in admit to me he bumped a small utility trailer a few times while creeping up to a toll booth because he couldn't see it over the long nose truck he was driving. The person towing the trailer finally got out of his car and hollered at the driver to stop doing it.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I like to tow with front and back curtains open so that a following vehicle can see my car's brake light (the high one) through the windows. Gives me added security that they'll see me and also in case I lose trailer lights and don't realize it.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I am aware of two roll overs in recent years involving one brand of trailer but in both cases the brand of trailer was irrelevant as the cause was operator error due to poorly set up and loaded trailers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #6

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
You would have to be pretty aggressive to roll one of these trailers. Most would fishtail and recover if they didn't trip over a curb. Mine is lifted and has slightly more tire, so makes it more prone to tip. I have drifted it on dirt just to see how it would react. On a trip to Oregon last year we had to make an evasive maneuver on pavement and swerved hard. I thought the trailer would spin out, but it hung in there amazingly well, only arcing out a few feet. I would not have tried that one intentionally, with or without the trailer since the tug is a lifted Wrangler. God was smiling on us.
Russ
Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Most would fishtail and recover if they didn't trip over a curb.
Russ
Or if the driver hits the tow vehicles brakes hard rather than just the trailers brakes via the controller lever.....
Old 09-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #8

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Or if the driver hits the tow vehicles brakes hard rather than just the trailers brakes via the controller lever.....
In an emergency I would mash the tug brakes without worry. If the trailer brake controller is properly adjusted it should track well.
Using the trailer brake only would not slow the vehicle down adequately.
For an improperly loaded trailer that goes into the death wag, I would certainly use the trailer brake only to suck the trailer back in. These techniques have always worked for me, but others may have success other ways. Also in snow or ice or in corners "mashing" would not be the preferred technique as finesse would be required. YMMV
Russ
Old 09-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Another reason to add extra LED tail/brake lights up high on your trailer...It is better to be seen and LED's also cut the reaction time needed.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
For an improperly loaded trailer that goes into the death wag, I would certainly use the trailer brake only to suck the trailer back in. These techniques have always worked for me, but others may have success other ways.
Russ
Russ I agree using the brakes on the tug to stop a well loaded perfectly tracking trailer at high speed is fine and yes I do it all the time as well. And yup my experience in driving in the snow and not using the vehicles brakes is the safe way to drive as well.

My point was that a lot of folks once they have a trailer wagging regardless as to whether or not its due to an improper loading of or a fast high speed avoidance manoeuvre (yes it can happen even with a well loaded trailer) a lot of people don't seem to realize to bring it back under control touching the tugs brake will only make matters worse. In some cases they may know that but when in panic mode they just do what comes naturally - hit the brakes.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Did anyone see last nights ball scores?

They were 5 to 4, 3 to 2, 7 to 3 and 8 to 1

About all you know is that 4 teams won and 4 teams lost and is equally useful without a lot more data. Such as:

Did the ones that were rear ended have working lights, were they clean, were they large or small, were they placed high or low, was it day or night, road & weather conditions etc.

Did the ones that rolled over have trailer brakes, did they have a WD hitch, how long had the driver been towing that trailer, how fast were they driving, weather conditions, road conditions etc.

I appreciate that Eddie went to the work of gathering the results, but a bit of background & cause would multiply the value 1000 times.