Year Scamp 13 weight was 1,000 pounds? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #15

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
True the plumbing isn't a huge deal, but getting rid of that bathroom, carpet, etc. is. On the plumbing, all those hose clamp gave me the willys. As for tongue weight, its pretty easy to change your packing plan to get tongue weight. These trailers are like a kids teeter totter. A couple of lawn chairs and a cooler taken from the back and moved tot he front can make a big difference. As for towing weight, unless you live on a flat plain, it does matter. I can really feel my Honda Pilot working pulling my 4000 pound boat, it hardly labors pulling the scamp. Also, braking distances will be reduced and the axle will be happier with less weight.

As for the bathroom door-mine is original and particle board. It is ridiculous how heavy it is.

Take Care,
Steve

Old 04-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
As for tongue weight, its pretty easy to change your packing plan to get tongue weight. These trailers are like a kids teeter totter. A couple of lawn chairs and a cooler taken from the back and moved tot he front can make a big difference.

Take Care,
Steve
Yup which is what I do - I carry pretty well most items I need inside the trailer. I have a tote that holds all hoses and power cords, jacks etc that is petty heavy - it is what I use as the main movable object (although not likely to move/fly around while traveling as light chairs etc can) - sliding it right up front when in need of a bit more weight on the tongue - especially when traveling at freeway speeds in a side wind. But a lot of people don't like having all that stuff sitting in the door way or on the main floor the trailer as they like to be able to stop and make lunch or use the bathroom without having to move all that out of the way.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #17

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I well remember getting ready to order my new 2010 Scamp 13' standard. I also remember asking my salesman, JIM COFFLAND, what one just like my trailer would weigh. He said, "We just went and weighed one with the bathroom, A/C, etc (pretty much fully loaded) last week and it came in less than 1300 lbs." YEAH RIGHT!! My trailer empty from the factory weighed in at 1700lbs! I cant speak for any of the other trailer manufacturers here, but I CAN tell you that Scamp will not tell you the truth about the weight of their trailers.

A 1000 lb trailer? Yep, you'd have to strip it down to nothing but maybe a vent and/or escape hatch as an option to get it there. I still would venture to say that my trailer stripped down would still come in at apx 1200 lbs. I'm thinking if I removed the Coleman 9K Polar Cub, the 6gal Atwood WH, Dometic toilet, ALL tanks, (2 gray, fresh, black is on the toilet), Dometic awning, screen door, front bulkhead for toilet, Suburban stovetop, propane tank (apx 50lbs full).. well..it WOULD be interesting to know what it would weigh.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The SCAMP website now lists Standard 13'ers at 1200-1500 lbs.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #19

Tennessee
And I also just noticed that they list their "tongue weight" at 100lbs?? That's not even the recommended 10-15% of the total weight if it IS 1200-1500lbs! Mine came in at apx 225 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The SCAMP website now lists Standard 13'ers at 1200-1500 lbs.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #20

California
We all know that change at Scamp is slooooow
First the total weight next year the tongue weight. lol
Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Of course the more options added the more the trailer will weigh. mine is a deluxe with every single option except the second propane tank. it is still well under 2000 pounds.
look at the Scamp web site, they have changed the weight numbers on the site to reflect realisticly accurate weights.
A basic 13 standard with a hand pump and an icebox could easily come out around 1200 pounds as delivered.
Early Scamps weigh quite a bit less. I once weighed a 1978 which I rehabbed and it weighed 1100 pounds as delivered to its new owner including all improvements.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
If they come in under weight requirements the Hunter Compacts mentioned earlier seem pretty nice. Fairly low front wind profile and while the center has that pop up for standing room it seemed like it went up and down easily.

The closer you get to the towing capacity the more load balance, tires, brakes & hitching set up matter. Just saying if you want to tow a 1400 lb. camper with a 1500 lb. capacity TV then you better be on top of all the things that go into making for a safe tow.

"Dry Weight" while not accurate is a somewhat consistent measure between manufacturers. They have no idea what exact package of features or add-ons you will have so they give a weight based on nothing but a shell. It does not reflect the trailer weight when towed but it does allow one to say that one trailers dry weight is 400 more than another's. Assuming you are going to order the same size of appliances and features in both one can expect the one to end up still being 400 lbs. heavier.

Where things get wonky is when the slightly heavier trailer dry weight also allows one to get larger fridge, higher capacity water heater, water tanks, and dual 30# propane tanks plus an expando for a king size bed option. Then the "extra" 400 lbs. dry weight becomes an extra 2000# of trailer with the goodies.

Also towing hitch weight comes out of total weight the vehicle can carry. People that put 200# of hitch weight and fill the vehicle with people and gear are really making the vehicle work, possibly beyond its capacity, especially if the trailer is near the towing capacity.

I have an older scamp with no options, thing is very lite weight. Forget the exact weight but we did consider having the axle suspension reduced. Now packed with stuff it may be just a wee tad heavier.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
And I also just noticed that they list their "tongue weight" at 100lbs?? That's not even the recommended 10-15% of the total weight if it IS 1200-1500lbs! Mine came in at apx 225 lbs.
Nope but what they list is simple a dry weight - the buyer/owners responsibility to load the trailer so it has adequate tongue weight.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #24

Tennessee
WRONG Carol! I feel the Scamp (or any other manufacturer) should have the "adequate" tongue weight from the factory. I carry very little stuff in my Scamp and pack all I can in my truck. It's the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure they DESIGN their trailers with the correct tongue weight. It is NOT our responsibility to "add" weight to correct a possible "light" tongue weight out of the factory. That's ludicrous. I agree that it's our responsibility to load our trailers to MAINTAIN the correct tongue weight.

I personally dont think a Scamp will come out with a light tongue weight. But to me, it is another correction they should make on their specs...IF the tongue weight they list on their site is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Nope but what they list is simple a dry weight - the buyer/owners responsibility to load the trailer so it has adequate tongue weight.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #25

California
I agree with Darral T. Any NEW trailer, unless otherwise advised by the mfg, should be at least safe to tow with 10% or more tongue weight.

Especially in the case of FGRV's where many a newbie takes delivery of their first trailer at the factory, the builder should take some responsibility to see that it is safe when towed away.

When you buy a new trailer at my local dealership, they go out of their way to be sure that the tow vehicle is properly equipped to tow, has a working brake controller, (almost always required on trailers sold in CA) and is within the towing limits of the vehicle. The official word there is that "If it isn't safe, it doesn't leave the lot". In a few cases they have cancelled sales. They even go with newbies on test drives if it is their first trailer.

But that said, I suspect that the tongue weight shown is incorrect anyway.....
Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I agree with Darral T. Any NEW trailer, unless otherwise advised by the mfg, should be at least safe to tow with 10% or more tongue weight.

Especially in the case of FGRV's where many a newbie takes delivery of their first trailer at the factory, the builder should take some responsibility to see that it is safe when towed away.

When you buy a new trailer at my local dealership, they go out of their way to be sure that the tow vehicle is properly equipped to tow, has a working brake controller, (almost always required on trailers sold in CA) and is within the towing limits of the vehicle. The official word there is that "If it isn't safe, it doesn't leave the lot". In a few cases they have cancelled sales. They even go with newbies on test drives if it is their first trailer.

But that said, I suspect that the tongue weight shown is incorrect anyway.....
Using that analogy retailers would stop selling chain saws to someone who has never used one before and car dealers would not sell a car to a person with questionable driving skills or no drivers licence... don't expect to see that becoming the norm any time soon.

As it is with every product we purchase its the buyers responsablity to educate themselves as to how to safely use it.

Having said that the weights Scamp publishes are DRY weights which if someone who has taken the time to educate themselves as to the safe towing practices they would know that means that the weight of the trailer will vary greatly depending on what options have and have not been ordered & its is not what the trailer will weigh with all their stuff stowed in it. Thats why Scamp has put a spread of 1200-1500lbs on the stated dry weight of the axle. Regardless as to whether or not the buyer had taken the time to educate themselves prior to shopping for a new trailer one would hope that the buyer would at least ask when ordering why there is such a spread on the dry weights stated and at that point in time get educated on the topic fast.

As far as their published dry weight on the tongue goes I agree it is lower than one would expect if they have opted to have propane on the trailer (some folks do not) - thats another 20lbs on the tongue which would in fact bring the trailer with an axle weight of 1200lbs up to 10% on the tongue. Some people want an all electric trailer no battery but if you throw a battery on the tongue guess what? tongue weight up another 50lbs. The addition of the battery and propane on a trailer with 100lb dry weight (no battery no propane) on the tongue brings an empty trailer up to 170lbs which I suspect most folks here would agree is good to go on a trailer with a 1500lb axle weight, which is at the high end of Scamps stated dry axle weights.

Scamp is simple giving people the option to choose for themselves what they want and don't want in the way of options and with that comes weight variables.

Based on what some here have indicated in the past as to Scamps customer service & help with set up at the time they have gone to pick up their new trailers I would expect that Scamp would would make the buyer aware of the issues of having to low a tongue weight, should a buyer decide to go without a propane tank or battery on the tongue & make some recommendations to the set up and stowage of the trailer in regards to that. Just as your local dealer does Bob. Could be wrong though!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #27

California
It would be interesting to hear from some newbies that picked up a new FGRV at the factory and what their experiences might have been.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #28

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If they come in under weight requirements the Hunter Compacts mentioned earlier seem pretty nice. Fairly low front wind profile and while the center has that pop up for standing room it seemed like it went up and down easily.

The closer you get to the towing capacity the more load balance, tires, brakes & hitching set up matter. Just saying if you want to tow a 1400 lb. camper with a 1500 lb. capacity TV then you better be on top of all the things that go into making for a safe tow.
Having owned Hunter Compacts I must say that nothing I have towed , tows easier than a Scamp13.
As for tow ratings, there are some small SUVs on which the ONLY difference between a 1500 and 3500 tow rating is engine size... Same brakes, same suspension, same tires, same hitch , etc.
In these cases, approaching the tow rating for the smaller engine takes on a whole different cast than when approaching the tow rating of the same chassis with a larger engine.
This is something to consider, especially for those who travel at or below the speed limit.

Tags
scamp, weight