Year Scamp 13 weight was 1,000 pounds? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #61

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Scamp should do better.

When we picked up our new Casita last spring they provided a comprehensive orientation covering all aspects of the trailer inside and out. I believe we were there for approximately 4 hours including the paperwork completion.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #62

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Carol, over the past 5 yrs, I've heard MANY new Scamp buyers mention this same scenario. Not everybody there was unfriendly though. Dont get me wrong, but THIS guy is your introduction to a brand new Scamp trailer!! My wife is very conservative compared to me- to whom she quickly declares my "A-type" personality. But even SHE made mention of how curt and rude he was to a new customer! Well..may as well say this. But I told him I wanted to fire up my A/C. He said, "It works." I told him I want to run it. He said "There aint NO USE trying it, it works." That was it I told him he could stay or leave because I wasnt leaving the factory until I tried out both my A/C and heatstrip!! He shut up after that because I wouldnt let him run over me.

Unfortunately, he MAY still be there. I see him on their updated site. Take a look-see. He looks mean! ""

Scroll down and you will see him at the front of the Scamp screwing on the propane hose. He'll never introduce me to another trailer.
Fiberglass Travel Trailer Manufacturer in MN - Scamp Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Don't count on it! Having worked for a family owned and operated company for a time I know how hard it is to fire or force a family member to retire

I am *sorry* though to hear Darral that the orientation on pick up was so lacking.
Got to wonder though if it is simple due to the fact they are building an economical trailer and in order to keep it affordable they need to keep operating costs down so they simple can not afford to provide the same level of customer service the other two manufactures you mention are. There is a very real cost to a company that is providing *good* customer service & it does not come cheap and the cost of it will be built into the sales price of the item being sold.

Not trying to make an excuse for Scamp just looking for an explanation for it.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #63

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Unfortunately, he MAY still be there. I see him on their updated site. Take a look-see. He looks mean! ""

]
LOL I wonder if the Eveland family has a family tree with photos on Ancestory.com that would tell you just who's brother/uncle/father he might be

All kidding aside I do feel for you and I don't think you or the others who have complained are wrong to complain. There is a fine line between acceptably customer service and just down right bad customer service.

Having said that it should be noted that myself and more than a few others have tried to point folks considering a Scamp for a number of years now to take a much more serious look at another manufacture to the north. The price point between the two is not as great as some seem to think when you do a side by side comparison of all the Scamp optional items and the other manufactures stock items. Price spread is even less now that we are holding a 18% off everything sale here in Canada for our friendly neighbours to the south.

By the increase in traffic volume heading south on a Sunday afternoon at our major crossing it looks likes a lot of folks are taking full advantage of the sale.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #64

We talking about the big "E"??? (Ummm...not 'Eveland')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Having said that it should be noted that myself and more than a few others have tried to point folks considering a Scamp for a number of years now to take a much more serious look at another manufacture to the north.

By the increase in traffic volume heading south on a Sunday afternoon at our major crossing it looks likes a lot of folks are taking full advantage of the sale.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #65

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
OK, getting back to the original subject, I just returned from the scale. I wanted to check my weight before our Maiden Voyage. A 1980 Scamp 13, with a Honda eo2000i and an empty propane tank on the tongue, battery in the back under the dinette box, 3 gallons of water in the tank, a front dinette with a Scamp Toilet and an empty tank under the left seat, 5/8 plywood for all of the floors topped with 1/4" thick cedar floor over all. Total weight 1580 pounds. Tongue weight 230 pounds. I am good with that.
Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #66

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Laughingindian, I hope you'll post that data in the real world trailer weights thread here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Even better if you can get another weighing when you have it loaded to go.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #67

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
-------------------------------------------------------

Ya, but you usually have a drivers license when you buy a car and most peeps have a professional (and in California, licensed) home inspection done before buying.

Any thing less is either illegal or foolish.

As I mentioned in the beginning, my local RV dealer "schools" new RV owners and will take 2 hours or more to do that , as well as confirming that the TV is rated and equipped to tow what the customer is buying.
How would a license help when... 87% of driver's can't operate a manual transmission... and pity those who try to drive a new car with touch screen controls before a little study time.
How many licensed drivers could even drive a model "T" without asking a few questions?
Besides,you usually have a driver's license when you buy a trailer too!

A home inspection would not help you understand how to operate a digital thermostat in a new home, let alone every other system in a house.
I have never had an inspection done on any house I have bought, guess it is only foolish if you don't know what your looking at.

It still comes back to personal responsibility. If you have questions ... ask them, maybe the answer will be as simple as...
"The instructions are on the heel!"
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #68

Good for you!! That's the ONLY way to tell where you stand with your weight, tongue weight etc. Thanks for the post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingindian View Post
OK, getting back to the original subject, I just returned from the scale. I wanted to check my weight before our Maiden Voyage. A 1980 Scamp 13, with a Honda eo2000i and an empty propane tank on the tongue, battery in the back under the dinette box, 3 gallons of water in the tank, a front dinette with a Scamp Toilet and an empty tank under the left seat, 5/8 plywood for all of the floors topped with 1/4" thick cedar floor over all. Total weight 1580 pounds. Tongue weight 230 pounds. I am good with that.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #69

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
-------------------------------------------------------

Ya, but you usually have a drivers license when you buy a car and most peeps have a professional (and in California, licensed) home inspection done before buying.

Any thing less is either illegal or foolish.

Well Bob if folks keep wanting to download the responsibility of educating the buyer as to safe towing practices to the trailer manufacturers I am going to suggest that there is a very real possibility that in the not to distant future we will need to pass some sort of test before we are permitted on the roads with a trailer in tow.

Why not? It happen to the boating community here. You now have to pass a test to get a licence before you are permitted to operate a powered water craft of any kind - even jet skis and sea doo drivers have to have one. Putting the responsibility of getting educated as to safe practises right where it belongs with the operator. Just the same as what happens when one buys a car - one needs to get educated on the rules of the safe driving and write a test to obtain a drivers licence before you can drive it.

May not be long before the RV manufactures (in order to protect themselves) and insurance companies (to keep the payouts down) start lobbying for the same if they are not already doing so.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #70

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote from Carol H. (Clip) Well Bob if folks keep wanting to download the responsibility of educating the buyer as to safe towing practices to the trailer manufacturers I am going to suggest that there is a very real possibility that in the not to distant future we will need to pass some sort of test before we are permitted on the roads with a trailer in tow.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------

AND... I know how to drive a Model "T" and I have a standard transmission on my car, but I don't think that either of those qualifications has anything to do with my driving abilities, much less what I know about towing..... And I don't recall anything in the drivers test, either written or behind the wheel, that had anything to do with towing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #71

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
That is true in Canada as well. I was very nervous the first time I towed. Like being thrown in the deep end.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, weight