Year Scamp 13 weight was 1,000 pounds? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Name: Bud
Trailer: In the market
MI
Year Scamp 13 weight was 1,000 pounds?

Can someone please tell me what years the Scamp 13 travel trailers weight was 1,000 pounds? This is one of the units I am looking for. Thank you for your help.
bountybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The advertised 1000 lb weight is very misleading. This is the dry weight of a basic trailer, no options, no battery, no propane, no water, no spare tire, no gear. The average loaded weight will add about 400 lbs plus/minus) to any trailer.

The lightest Scamp on record in the Real Trailer Weights spreadsheet is over 1600 lbs, the lightest FGRV is a Burro at 880 lbs followed by a Hunter Compact Jr at 1120 lbs
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As Ian has indicated unless you are wishing to strip out the battery, propane tank, fridge, stove, heater, porta potty, awning etc & carry *nothing* you will not find one that weighs 1000lbs. Trust me - a lot of people have gone looking for that 1000lbs or 1500lb Boler we hear so much about and have found them to be a very rare bird indeed ;-)

Take a look at the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World for am idea as to what you can expect the various 13' trailers to actually weigh loaded up for camping.

Unfortunately we don't have many 13' Bolers on the list as not many attended the US rallies that most of the trailers on the list were actually weighed at. But you will find some as well as some 13' Scamps which are a good equivalent as to what you might expect the Boler to weigh as they are very very similar trailer. There is one 13' Boler on the list that weighed in at under 1500lbs (it came in at 1300lbs) but that is a bit of an odd ball and we can only speculate as to why it was so light - perhaps been stripped of a lot of stuff or perhaps little loaded in it?

Here in BC we have a lot of 13' Bolers's and most of the owners who have actually weighed their trailers will tell you that they for the most part they weigh in when loaded up with personal gear for camping over 1500lbs (including tongue weight) generally more in the 1700/1800lbs range - some even well over 2000lbs as you can see one on the list weighed in at.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I'm in the process of lightening a new to me 1988 16'. I build sailboats for fun where weight is critical. I am stunned by the lack of concern for weight in these beasts, but I guess it probably doesn't matter much if you are pulling it with an SUV and lighter is usually more expensive. so far I have switched the plumbing to PEX (I am sure the new plumbing is significantly lighter). I replaced the cabinet doors with 1/4 plywood doors with glued up borders for stiffness. I removed the bathroom and intend to use a porta potty. I added a 1 pound propane tank and adapter as a spare and eliminated the extra tank. The old charge controller was huge and has been replaced with a lighter one. Carpet is gone replaced with vinyl. The hot water tank was sitting on a heavy particle board box that is now lighter and stronger.

The bottom line is that everything adds up. I think that big weight savings is very possible.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #5

Name: Bud
Trailer: In the market
MI
Thank you both very much for your replies. That means the Scamp 13 comes off my list. To bad. I think that would have been the easiest one of the group to find. The only one on my list now that is not a teardrop trailer is the Serro Scotty Lite. I'm quite sure this will be quite hard to find. Thanks aging for your help my friends.
bountybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tow vehicle loads.

If you're trying to reduce towing effort it's more about shape and frontal area than weight.

Scamp 13's do not seem to get dramatically better mileage than Scamp 16's. I believe because they basically have the same frontal area. If you want to make any trailer easier to tow keep odd big shapes off the roof (air conditioners, Max vents, sat dishes) and off the sides of your trailer (awnings, protruding window vents).

Air resistance is the primary load at normal driving speed when towing except when accelerating on the flat and going up hills. On most extended trips most of the time you are driving at steady speeds and hills are generally a small percentage of travel.

Weight is more of an issue in a sail boat, where acceleration counts in breezes, though hull shape and length are also critical.

What is your reason for dramatically wanting to reduce the weight?

I find it hard to imagine that changing the existing Scamp plumbing offers much chance for weight reduction. I have done some weight reduction and my primary targets were the dining table, cabinet doors and the plywood in the couch. I do have a single propane tank, a single battery and very low profile and light solar panels (5 lbs) focusing more on tongue weight rather than absolute weight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
I replaced the cabinet doors with 1/4 plywood doors with glued up borders for stiffness. I removed the bathroom and intend to use a porta potty. I added a 1 pound propane tank and adapter as a spare and eliminated the extra tank. The old charge controller was huge and has been replaced with a lighter one. Carpet is gone replaced with vinyl. The hot water tank was sitting on a heavy particle board box that is now lighter and stronger.

The bottom line is that everything adds up. I think that big weight savings is very possible.

Take Care,
Steve

Steve while replacing removing items keep in mind what your overall weight and location of weight will play a big part in regards to stability when towing. Unlike a sailboat lighter is not always better.

I also have a 16' side bath and due to the lack of storage space/hatches at the front I have to work at getting my tongue weigh up to make the tow very stable - I do have limited time to travel so freeways at 65 are often the route taken. While at a trailer meet on the week-end a member with an older Scamp 16' side bath mention they had noticed their trailer to be doing a bit of a wiggle while towing to the meet that it had not done in the past..... only change in stow this trip was their heavy bathroom door fell off last trip so they removed it completely from the trailer. I suspect the removal of the door which sits just ahead of the axle resulted in to light of a tongue weight which impacted the trailers stability while towing.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Interesting Carol about the bathroom door. It's the only door that I have not replaced with lighter plywood though it's on my list. I wonder what that door weighs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountybuddy View Post
Thank you both very much for your replies. That means the Scamp 13 comes off my list. To bad. I think that would have been the easiest one of the group to find. The only one on my list now that is not a teardrop trailer is the Serro Scotty Lite. I'm quite sure this will be quite hard to find. Thanks aging for your help my friends.
It sounds like you are dealing with a tow vehicle with limited capacity. Let us know what you will be towing with and perhaps some help will be forthcoming.

And if you haven't sensed it yet; Manufacturers weight figures are not to considered as accurate for a trailer going down the road. There is a shop in Riverside, CA "The Canned Ham Man" that specializes in trailers like the Scotty. You might want to look up their web site and/or give them a call.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Interesting Carol about the bathroom door. It's the only door that I have not replaced with lighter plywood though it's on my list. I wonder what that door weighs.
I do not know Norm as all she said was that it was "**** heavy to get out"
I may be wrong would have to go out in the rain and look at mine but I seem to think the door is thicker and for sure larger than any other in the trailer.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Bud has a Pontiac Vibe with 1500 lb tow rating.

My Lil Hauley (a totally empty shell from Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites ) is supposed to have an actual weight of about 1200 lb. Throw in a cot, a porta potty, and a couple of bins of camping stuff and it should still be under 1500. Just a thought.

I suspect that the new "Happier Camper" trailers currently being prototyped may come in around 1000 lbs also.

Another thought: the Meerkat http://littleguytrailers.com/meerkat/ is a new trailer modeled after the European trailer, Eriba Puck. They claim a 900 lb. dry weight for the Meerkat. It's aluminum sided with a pop-top that I think may be fiberglass. Once in a while you can find a vintage Eriba Puck for sale, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Curious why you have 1000# as your limit? There are not going to be many trailers in that range. By the time you get your gear together anything will probably be well over 1000#. Never take a previous owners weight claim as true. Always take it to a scale and get the TRUE weight.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountybuddy View Post
Can someone please tell me what years the Scamp 13 travel trailers weight was 1,000 pounds? This is one of the units I am looking for. Thank you for your help.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #13

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
My 1984 has a gross weight of 1200lbs listed on the title (no idea of the accuracy/validity of that - it's just what's there).

That said, I have no idea about it's "real" weight... I've removed/replaced a lot, and added some stuff (like AGM batteries under the rear bench) so it will be interesting to see once I am done with the axle and can get it weighed.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
My 1984 has a gross weight of 1200lbs listed on the title (no idea of the accuracy/validity of that - it's just what's there).
Thats its dry weight which as has been explain does not mean much Best to weigh it loaded.

A good rule of thumb is to add 600/700lbs to any trailer manufactures dry weight to come up with a more realistic weight that you can expect the trailer to weigh when loaded for camping.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #15

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
True the plumbing isn't a huge deal, but getting rid of that bathroom, carpet, etc. is. On the plumbing, all those hose clamp gave me the willys. As for tongue weight, its pretty easy to change your packing plan to get tongue weight. These trailers are like a kids teeter totter. A couple of lawn chairs and a cooler taken from the back and moved tot he front can make a big difference. As for towing weight, unless you live on a flat plain, it does matter. I can really feel my Honda Pilot working pulling my 4000 pound boat, it hardly labors pulling the scamp. Also, braking distances will be reduced and the axle will be happier with less weight.

As for the bathroom door-mine is original and particle board. It is ridiculous how heavy it is.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
As for tongue weight, its pretty easy to change your packing plan to get tongue weight. These trailers are like a kids teeter totter. A couple of lawn chairs and a cooler taken from the back and moved tot he front can make a big difference.

Take Care,
Steve
Yup which is what I do - I carry pretty well most items I need inside the trailer. I have a tote that holds all hoses and power cords, jacks etc that is petty heavy - it is what I use as the main movable object (although not likely to move/fly around while traveling as light chairs etc can) - sliding it right up front when in need of a bit more weight on the tongue - especially when traveling at freeway speeds in a side wind. But a lot of people don't like having all that stuff sitting in the door way or on the main floor the trailer as they like to be able to stop and make lunch or use the bathroom without having to move all that out of the way.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I well remember getting ready to order my new 2010 Scamp 13' standard. I also remember asking my salesman, JIM COFFLAND, what one just like my trailer would weigh. He said, "We just went and weighed one with the bathroom, A/C, etc (pretty much fully loaded) last week and it came in less than 1300 lbs." YEAH RIGHT!! My trailer empty from the factory weighed in at 1700lbs! I cant speak for any of the other trailer manufacturers here, but I CAN tell you that Scamp will not tell you the truth about the weight of their trailers.

A 1000 lb trailer? Yep, you'd have to strip it down to nothing but maybe a vent and/or escape hatch as an option to get it there. I still would venture to say that my trailer stripped down would still come in at apx 1200 lbs. I'm thinking if I removed the Coleman 9K Polar Cub, the 6gal Atwood WH, Dometic toilet, ALL tanks, (2 gray, fresh, black is on the toilet), Dometic awning, screen door, front bulkhead for toilet, Suburban stovetop, propane tank (apx 50lbs full).. well..it WOULD be interesting to know what it would weigh.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #18

The SCAMP website now lists Standard 13'ers at 1200-1500 lbs.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
And I also just noticed that they list their "tongue weight" at 100lbs?? That's not even the recommended 10-15% of the total weight if it IS 1200-1500lbs! Mine came in at apx 225 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The SCAMP website now lists Standard 13'ers at 1200-1500 lbs.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #20

We all know that change at Scamp is slooooow
First the total weight next year the tongue weight. lol

Tags
scamp, weight