Yellowstone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: tanya
Trailer: Trillium Trailers
Alberta
Smile Yellowstone

Hey guys me and my boyfriend is going to Yellowstone on Sunday from calgary alberta! We are staying in great falls for 1 night! Then on to Yellowstone! Has anyone stay there and what is a good campground! How are the roads there! Its our first time pulling our new trailer!!! We need ideas!!!
TraillerSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have only stayed in cabins there so can't comment on a campground. I would say get on the phone to the reservation people and see what they recommend or what is available. I found them to be very helpful. The roads inside the park are fine, outside to the North I don't know. West, East, and South the roads are fine. I love Yellowstone and would like to come back sometime other than the middle of the summer which is the only times I have been. Happy camping!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #3

Alberta
thanks i cant wait! i hope the weather would be good for us!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Go here first: Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

And enter "Yellowstone National Park, WY" and select "Camping & Lodging" in the pull downs.
Next it wants your arrival date and how many nights you want to reserve.

Right now is the season when all of the retirees and families without children flock into Yellowstone before the weather turns cold. I checked for camping space for 4 nights starting on next Monday and none of the main campgrounds had any openings.

They usually save out a few sites for first come-first served, but don't depend on those being available.

When going to Yellowstone always have advance reservations somewhere.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Five campgrounds in Yellowstone take reservations; seven do not. Check out US National Park Service - Camping in Yellowstone for specifics. Bear in mind even the campgrounds that are first come, first served will probably fill fairly early in the day. As Bob said, even though it's September, the park is still busy; so you should plan your arrival accordingly.

We were there in late July/early August and got a site in Grand Teton NP, which is also beautiful and on the south end of Yellowstone. (We were in Lizard Creek cg, which is the cg furthest north in Grand Teton NP. It was okay, however the driveways in that cg weren't really designed for RVs. Since the Casita is short, we made it work, but we were very close to our pickup, which had to be parked next to the trailer - instead of in front of it. Otherwise the campsite was lovely.)

One downside to camping at Grand Teton when what you want to do is tour Y'stone: you drive the same 40 miles twice a day to get into the park. It's a beautiful drive, but after a couple of passes through there we started to wish we were seeing other parts of the park we were not going to have time for.

As Tim said, the roads inside the park are good; however, the road between Norris and Mammoth Hot Springs is under construction (I understand the pavement melted from the forces of nature at work in the area), and I just noticed on the NPS website that the road between West Thumb and Old Faithful is closed. This might make staying in Grand Teton even less attractive - although if you have the time you should definitely go to Grand Teton and check it out, too.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #6

Alberta
We are leaving sunday and going to great falls then going down to yellowstone and we want to be back sept 14th in calgary! What is the best way to do this???
Old 09-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

That's about 1250 travel miles + sightseeing miles/time in the park in 8 days. I'd say to take the shortest route per something like MapQuest.com.
MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Old 09-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
West Yellowstone is a good choice for camping if you can't find a place in the park. We stayed at the KOA last time. You will find that the commercial campgrounds will be closing their gates behind you as the season will be winding down. At least that was the situation the last time we were there the same week you are visiting.

It is a great time to go because some animals are headed to the low country and we saw an awesome fight between 2 bull elk. Also, shops have some season end sales.

Have a great time.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Be prepared to change plans on the run; I was there the middle of September, on a motorcycle, a few years back; from West Yellowstone to Yellowstone Lake the weather changed from rain to snow and back again, (depending on the elevation). Three days later scooted outta there 'cause of an incoming snow storm. All in all it was a good time. Enjoy the trip.
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #10

I think that TraillerSquirrel has already left the building. Maybe a trip report will fill us in next Sunday.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #11

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
My family was there early October last year. Beautiful! But we woke up to snow flurries at least 2 mornings. We did not take the trailer, rented a cabin in Island Home in Idaho(about 20 min from the West gate). There's a nice KOA there, plus another at the West entrance.

Tags
trillium