Yet another towing question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Greg, I doubt the hitch or its capacity depends on the drivetrain of the vehicle. I suspect that exactly same part is being listed as having a capacity determined by the vehicle, so when you change vehicle specs, you see a different capacity.

My built-by-Reese sold-by-Toyota hitch has no capacity listed on the hitch; it refers only to the owner's manual, which is currently standard Toyota practice. In other words, it is designed to capable of at least what the van can handle. In some ways this is preferable to listing something like 5000 pounds (the Class 3 limit) on a hitch which can structurally handle that, and having people think that makes their Baja capable of towing 5000 lb!

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #16
Trailer: 1982 13 ft Scamp
it is designed to capable of at least what the van can handle.

It's all crystal clear now. Much obliged Brian!

Greg Yother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #17
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
It's all crystal clear now. Much obliged Brian!

Hi greg,
Just read about your towing questions. someone mentioned U-haul, I just had my receiver hitch and brake controll switch put on there for towing our 13foot scamp. The trailer place where we are picking scamp up on friday wanted 483.00 to put on just the brake controll unit and the 7 way plug. I went to my local uhaul and they charged 164.00 for the same thing(brake controller and plug). I would highly recommend, if not only for cost savings, for services as well. We are very fortunate here in Medford Oregon to have such a fantastic Uhaul center. Best of luck

Kristen Beck

Kristen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote