ZEP wood floor wax - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
ZEP wood floor wax

Has anyone used this to polish up the campers? Pros... Cons ???
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Out of curiosity, why do folks use floor wax for their FG campers as opposed to something made for Gelcoat like the Mequires RV line?

http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/products/
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
There is a long thread describing the use of ZEP & Red Max Pro, both acrylic floor finishes that can bring a shine back to your older trailer if done properly...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/check-this-out-not-poliglow-time-will-tell-43004.html
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
There is a long thread describing the use of ZEP & Red Max Pro, both acrylic floor finishes that can bring a shine back to your older trailer if done properly...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/check-this-out-not-poliglow-time-will-tell-43004.html
47 pages worth is certainly long, I didn't read all of them but didn't see where any of the original folks came back after 3 years to report on their results. I may well have missed it if they did.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I used a Meguires product on our Uhaul, Marine Wax I believe, because it's made for exterior use on fiberglass boats. Not as high gloss like the floor wax, but it's made for exterior fiberglass use, so that's what I went with. All a matter of personal preference!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Our's has been on for 3 yrs now and looks great, no yellowing, peeling/flaking, chipping, and best of all, dirt & road grime just come off without a lot of elbow grease.
I had originally had a 1984 13' Scamp that had to be waxed every 3 months in order to keep the chalky finish in check, but after we purchased our 1990 13' Scamp with a chalky finish, we discovered the "Not Polyglow" articles, followed the instructions, and couldn't be happier with the results.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
If you enjoy cleaning and waxing every other week only to see your shine quickly oxidize and then try another wax and do the same thing again then by all means stick with wax , if however you want a finish to stay glossy with easy care and expense to maintain then zep is your answer
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I finally got around to Zep waxing my Scamp today. What a difference. I put 2 coats of the Zep seal on first and then followed with 3 coats of floor wax. I used HDX wash and scrub microfiber sponges from Home Depot to apply them both. They're like these sponges sold under a different name. Detailer's Choice 9-21M 2N1 Microfiber Wash and Scrub Sponge-1 each : Amazon.com : Automotive They're very easy to wring out which eliminated drips. I washed the sponges twice before I used them since others recommended that with microfiber cloths. The result is very noticible. My trailers not perfect since its 37 years old and its been well used over the years. But for the amount of effort, its worth trying. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Out of curiosity, why do folks use floor wax for their FG campers as opposed to something made for Gelcoat like the Mequires RV line?

http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/products/
Typically, I like to think outside the box, (BTW I am now having trouble locating the box). Using a product that lasts years, is made to be walked on. costs much less, is easy to apply, and can be easily removed if it yellows, or flakes off, (Engine wash at the car wash), then reapplied for more years of shine, seems like a no brainier to me.

Having said that, I have yet to get to the point where I am shinning up any of my trailers yet, but I did buy a gallon of Zep wet look.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The assumption is that R&D at Zep accidentally made a better wax for gel coat than the R&D departments at numerous companies whose sole purpose was to come up with a long-lasting, easy to apply product.
Sorta like Coca Cola accidentally coming up with a better cleaner and silicon and wax remover.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I have used RedMax Pro for the last 5 years. The latest coat was put on our 1986 UHaul 2.5 years ago and still looks great. I will do another coat this spring, but it really doesn't look bad now. I tried PolyGlow first, but it was so expensive that I switched over. I have some RedMax left, but will use the Zep when it runs out. I have never tried the marine coating.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I applied the Red Max Pro (now called ZEP) 3 years ago to a chalky exterior that no amount of waxing was able to improve. The Red Max Pro was relatively easy to apply and the shine was fantastic (still getting compliments). Mine does sit outdoors full time in the sun, and some of the finish started peeling a little bit, but it was easy to rewash and prep that area and apply a couple of coats quickly to restore the shine. If I had a new exterior that was still shiny I would stick with wx to try to preserve it, but for those that no longer have that shiny gel coat layer the Red Max/Zep is a great way to go.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote