Zip Lock baggie fly control - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe

I received this by email from friends of ours in Oregon. Just thought it might be something to try while camping. Has anyone else heard of this?

Zip Lock baggie fly control

Our friends went to Sweety Pies on Sunday for breakfast, and sat in the enclosed patio section beside the house. They happened to notice a couple of zip lock baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally they were curious! Ms Sweety told them that these baggies kept the flies away! So naturally they were even more curious! They actually watched some flies come in the open window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there were no flies in the eating area! In the morning they checked it out on Goggle. Below are comments on this fly control idea.

Zip-lock water bags

Sue says:

Many people swear that a zip-lock bag filled half-way with water and attached over entry-ways will repel flies. No one yet knows how or why it works, but there is speculation that it has something to do with the way the moving water refracts light. If you have tried this please use the comments form at the bottom of the page to share your results with the rest of us.

ann Says:

October 5th, 2008 at 5:51 pm

I did tried the ziplock bag and pennies this weekend. I have a horse trailer with full LQ. The flys were very bad this weekend while I was camping. I put the baggie with pennies above the door of the LQ. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer. The horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!!!!!!!

Danielle M Says:

September 20th, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Fill a ziplock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight but significant passage way for insects.Every since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say, that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some sort of other insect nest and are threatened by this.

maggie Says:

June 7th, 2009 at 11:40 am

I swear by the plastic bag of water trick I have them on side porch ( our house entry) and all around the basement door. We saw these in Northeast Mo at an Amish grocery store & have used them since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection & won't come around.

Just DJ Says:

May 16th, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that each of the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are basically prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area ant thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it, worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he don't hang around long.

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Very interesting post. I forwarded it to my friends in dog rescue so they could try it immediately. I can't wait to try this myself. Thanks for posting this tip!

Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Name: Phil
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500 (previously a 1978 Trillium 4500, Rpod 171 and Surveyor SV251)

its on the internet so it must be true..........Not!
77 Trillium 4500
Phil 4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well in fairness, even Snopes says "undetermined," not "false." And Snopes is also the Internet (but I check them too, because another source of information is always good, in my book).
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I can't say if it works or not, since I've never tried it. But I have friends that swear it works. They've got bag over their sliding glass door and say flies never enter the house no matter how long their young grandson lives the door open.

Who's to say? But I know couldn't convince them to take the bag down if I tried.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
I have seen it work in Mexico to keep the flys of the cabrito hanging there or in the cantinas.
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft

its on the internet so it must be true..........Not!

Thanks for the balanced input Phil4500

Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Is it possible that Copper + water + heat create a small electrical field that repells them?

Try it with marbles or some other non conductive reflective and see.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote