CO 1974 Hunter I Compact - Partial Restore Project - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
1974 Hunter I Compact - Partial Restore Project

I bought a project that I now know I won't be able to complete. I got this 1974 Hunter I Compact molded fiberglass trailer a few months back to have fun restoring. After thinking about it and with new family obligations on the horizon I realized that it would be better for someone else to complete the restoration with the mission to make it entirely their own, rather than my personal vision.

What It Is:

At the moment it is partially gutted and partially restored. I removed much of the original bed/seating/dining area framework because most of it wasn't original anyway. I pulled up the original floor coverings and replaced the vinyl with new retro style vinyl flooring. The 3/4" plywood subfloor was in good shape.I replaced the screw cover trim around the belly band.

The original cabinetry is intact but needs a resurfacing facelift. I installed a new countertop and glued down new Formica but have not cut a hole in it for a sink.

Parts of the original pleated vinyl wall coverings are in good shape, other parts not so much - cracked from age and sun exposure. I intended to try to retain as much of the original wall coverings as possible and cover the deteriorated parts with new carpeting (see my pics), but have not done so.

I removed the pop-up roof and replaced or refurbished some of the mounting hardware and then recovered the pleated vinyl insulating layer with new carpeting. AS well I added new edging material to the roof's bottom edge. Canvas sides originally connecting the top and main body of the trailer were missing so I bought new canvas to fabricate a replacement. That has not yet been done and the canvas will be included with the trailer.

Current Condition:

The trailer's frame and body are in truly excellent condition, especially given that the rig has likely been stored outside its entire life. (The previous owner said he bought it from the original owners at a Kansas farm so, it really is a true "barn find".) There is absolutely no damage to the fiberglass at all, anywhere, save for a few original factory-drilled holes exposed because the previous owner installed smaller replacement tail lights.

The frame has superficial surface rust. I started cleaning that off, primed some of it and got sidetracked with other responsibilities. The previous owner flipped the axle on it to gain more ground clearance and replaced the bearings with new ones. The tires on it now are in very good shape but if I were to keep it I'd likely put beefier tires and wheels on it for potential off-road use.

Two of the windows are plexiglass replacements. The screens are intact. The front window rock-guard aluminum support arm wing-nuts are rusted and so won't allow the rock-guard to be opened and held open. Should be easy to loosen up with elbow grease and patient prodding with the right tools.

I do not have a title for this trailer so it would have to undergo a visit to the state for inspection and re-titling. A bill of sale will legally get it to your home in Colorado without any problem on the day it is purchased.

I'm asking $1850 for it in its present state. This would be a relatively easy and fun to restore or a customizing project for someone with more time than I have.

Thanks for reading. Be well, and happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
2P4A1962.jpg   2P4A1961.jpg  

2P4A1960.jpg   Hunter-Interior.jpg  

2P4A1958.jpg   2P4A1963.jpg  

Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #2

Name: Monica
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Hi do you know itís current weight?

Maggie1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie1317 View Post
Hi do you know itís current weight?
Hard to be exact but the dry weight of a fully outfitted one is reported to be in the vicinity of 800lbs. The entire trailer, bumper to hitch, is 13 feet long. The body of the trailer is 10 feet long and 6 & 1/2 feet wide. The interior head room when the pop-up is up is 6' 3".

Thanks for asking! I forgot to include that info.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #4

Arizona
Hi again can I get more pics of tires frame hitch
Old 06-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #5

Arizona
Do the lights work
Old 06-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #6

Colorado
Yes, the trailer lights work fine!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #7

Arizona
Sorry just reread post on tires so I would need new tires to get it to ny
Old 06-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Hi again can I get more pics of tires frame hitch
OK, here's a pic of the hitch and tires.
Attached Thumbnails
2P4A1965.jpg   2P4A1964.jpg  

Old 06-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #9

Colorado
? The tires are in great shape and would very likely easily get to NY from here. What I meant was that I would replace them with tires more suitably rugged if I were to frequently use the trailer off-road, say, behind a jeep or other 4x4 on bumpy, rock-strewn mountain back road trails.

Quote:
Sorry just reread post on tires so I would need new tires to get it to ny
Old 06-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #10

Name: mike
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
Just sent pm
go bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #11

Arizona
I sent you a pm
Old 06-23-2018, 12:52 AM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
PM sent. I'll wait my turn for the others ahead of me.
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #13

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
half ton of fun.....

That is what the Compact Jr literature said, alluding to 1,000 pounds.

but I also recall it saying elsewhere the weight was 1,100 pounds.

that looks like a great project for someone. like the original quilted vinyl insulation on the walls.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #14

Colorado
SOLD!

Congratulations to Mike and Maggie. They're coming out from NY to get the Hunter. It will be their first trip to Colorado! How excellent is that? I think we have two new fans of molded fiberglass trailers and have high hopes that they will do an excellent job of restoring it to their individual tastes and helping keep our favorite camping trailers on the road. Yay!