GA 1988 Eriba Triton for sale - $13,500 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Escape 17 - Ex Eriba, U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
1988 Eriba Triton for sale - $13,500

1988 Eriba Triton Travel Trailer – Big Brother to the Eriba Puck

I am very reluctantly offering for sale my 1988 Eriba Triton travel trailer because my wife would like a larger travel trailer with an onboard bathroom. This trailer is a larger version of the famous German built Eriba Puck that is so highly sought after by the VW enthusiasts. It is sixteen feet long and weighs around 1500 lbs so it can be towed by almost anything that can be fitted with a trailer hitch.

For those that aren’t familiar with Eriba trailers they are one of the most highly regarded of the European travel trailers – often referred to as the German Airstream (back when Airstreams were considered to be the best trailers out there). Eribas are built in Germany and are known for their light weight, aerodynamic shape, and exceptional interiors. The Eriba trailers are constructed with an aluminum skin over a tubular steel welded frame with a fiberglass roof. The windows are double pane and the whole trailer is insulated. The bed runs lengthwise in the back of the trailer and in this Triton it is 75 inches long and 72 inches wide – an unheard of size in such a small trailer. The roof elevates for additional headroom and collapses to reduce the height for towing. There is a stove, sink and three way refrigerator in the nose of the trailer, a Truma propane heater, a large closet, and tons of overhead, and under bed storage.

This particular trailer was brought over to the United States by a German couple in 1988. They used it to tour the country and eventually settled in eastern Tennessee. They parked the trailer in their garage and very rarely took it out until they decided to move back to Germany around 20 years later. They sold the trailer to their neighbor across the street. He kept it for about a year and listed it for sale. I saw the listing and contacted him, trying to buy the trailer then.

Another buyer, Earle from nearby Auburntown, TN beat me to it by half an hour. I got in touch with this third owner and told him that if he ever decided to sell it to give me a call as there is a well-known phenomenon in the travel trailer world called two-foot-itis where the wife wants something just two feet bigger. Four years went by and true to form Sarah wanted something a little bigger so they moved up to an 18’ Lance with a slide-out. During this time Earle had a friend, a German electrical engineer who lived nearby rewire the trailer for 110V as it had originally been a European model wired for 220V. They added a portable air conditioner, a battery and battery maintainer. I bought the Eriba in 2014.

I removed the broken fiberglass cover for the twin 10 pound propane bottles and had a custom front storage box fabricated that would hold a twenty pound propane bottle, chocks, leveling blocks and pads along with other accessories for the trailer. I’ve really enjoyed traveling all over the southeast in the Eriba and it draws a lot of attention wherever it goes. It has a lot more usable space than its smaller Puck brother but still tows like a dream. It’s narrow enough to not need extended mirrors and will fit inside a garage.

The Eriba Triton is very rare in this country – I’ve only seen three or four others and all of those were much older models from the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. Parts support is very good for these trailers; there is a company in England that supplies parts at very reasonable cost. I had to replace the door handle and got a new part in less than a week. This 1988 model Eriba Triton is possibly one of the newest and best examples of this model in the entire country – a sure crowd pleaser at any vintage trailer rally. I usually tow it with a 4 cylinder diesel powered Land Rover and it only affects the fuel mileage by around 2 mpg. It comes complete and ready to camp including a Bus Depot awning and outdoor floor mat.
The Triton has a surge brake system that is cable operated with a parking brake function. It is light enough to push around in the driveway by hand. The trailer uses a 50mm trailer ball which I will include and uses the standard seven pin trailer connector.

I’m in Roswell, Georgia – just north of Atlanta

I’m asking $13,500 for this rare 1988 Eriba Triton - Jack Walter
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3838.jpg   IMG_3873.jpg  

IMG_3844.jpg   IMG_3853.jpg  

IMG_3863.jpg   IMG_3845.jpg  

C12P9866.jpg   eriba1.jpg  

eriba2.jpg  

Old 12-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Very, very cool trailer you have there! GLWTS

Old 12-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Looks like no toilet and don't see any vents. Are there grey and fresh water tanks?

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

Georgia
There is a porta-potty and two water jugs that Eriba supplies (about 3 gallons each) under the front counter that are connected to a battery powered 12V pump. You can also connect a hose to a spigot for water. There is a portable grey water tank that comes with the trailer. Since 90% of my camping is boondocking it has worked very well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0159.jpg  
Old 12-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #5

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Very cool and unique, thanks for posting!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Casita 17'
Georgia

For a 1988 camper that looks very good.
good luck
Old 12-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Nice wood interior, I like the appearance. Do those opening windows have screens? Hard to tell for sure in the photos.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #8

Georgia
No screens but it wouldn't be hard to sew some velcro around the edge of a screen panel and put a velcro strip around the interior opening.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #9

Georgia
Trailer is sold - thanks

Tags
for sale