CA 1990 Bigfoot B17 DLX - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #15

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My 1992 which is the after change model Deluxe also has a roof mounted air conditioner.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Franswa should have more knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
sometime around 1989 there was a change in production and all BF17 left the factory built and equipped the same way (with that 2 piece all FG wet bath and no options) and offered in two models the G and the CB....so sorry you didn't "score"....you just bought a trailer built after that production change

a easy "identifier" is the front rock guard....if the supports for it are outside the guard it's a "pre-change" model....if the supports are inside the rockguard (thicker) it's an "after change" model.....all built the same way from about 1989 to about 2004...

the two molds that make up the trailer body were unchanged from 1980 to 2004

in 2005 the "17.5" model...(2500 series) was introduced (different molds, double pane windows, thicker insulation, weighs about 800lbs more)
He lives in the Home Province of the Bigfoot Trailer, have no idea just where but even live in Armstrong, BC where they were built, though I have no idea if the new ones are being built in the same Armstrong Factory maybe Franswa can tell us?
Stude

Old 12-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #17

Name: Kerri
Trailer: Bigfoot/Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Mine doesn't have air conditioner. I heard that is a concern with BG - any leaky roof issues?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #18

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Don't live near there...

I live on Vancouver Island, where there are a LOT of BF trailers BTW....

BF is still located in the original factory in Armstrong...from my research it seems that BF started by manufacturing truck campers and was very successful doing that...that led to manufacturing small trailers (17s) around 1980 and that line proved to be very successful as well...eventually larger trailers were added to the line

sometime in the early 2000s the company branched out again, this time manufacturing smallish motorhomes and larger hardwall trailers with a new new name (Columbia IIRC).....this expansion proved to be a disaster and pushed the company into bankcrupcy in the middle of that decade....

the story I heard is that a number of senior and long time employees were successful is acquiring the company and reorganized it into what it is to this day...

the new company made a decision to position itself as a high end manufacturer of truck campers and trailers only... with prices to match.....indeed the 17.5 now manufactured would not appeal to a first time buyer given its high price compared to similar, at first glance, trailers......IMO these seem to be targeted at owners of older BFs....who love them much and now have more money to spend on the "next generation" edition.....all trailers are now insulated better (and maybe built better?) than anything else on the market...the 21s and 25s you could live in full time pretty easily....

the company only manufactures what it can sell from year to year...it spends nothing on promotion/advertizing....even its website is never updated....it does not have dealers, it has "factory outlets" (14 across north america)....these outlets seem to seldom have models on their lots and when they do they sit there for a long time (price)....

unconventional to say the least but it seems to work for them...

for a long time BFs were the only small FG trailers that had insulation and interior walls throughout....compared to other FG trailers they were heavier and their shape (large flat frontal area) made them harder to tow than the competition that featured less weight and a better aerodynamic shape....(there is no free lunch however...the BF generally featured measurably more storage area because of it)

just one mans opinion...happy trails all........F
Attached Thumbnails
bf1.jpg   bf2.jpg  

renfm.jpg  
Old 12-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
News story from Times Colonist on demise of Bigfoot ( 2008 )

B.C. RV maker Bigfoot goes out of business

Mentions death of top executives in plane crash in 1998.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My understanding is that Bigfoot has gone through bankruptcy twice, once in 1986 and again in 2008. Both times the company reorganized with the same employees and location but different management.
The roof leak issue is in the very early 17' (pre-1985?) that had too little roof support. Later models have a stronger roof. I have added AC to mine and have an occasional leak that goes away when I tighten the mounting bolts.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
yeah...and I notice...

I notice on the BF website, on their contact page it lists the company as "Bigfoot Industries (2010)"

they're still making them......in secret almost....again, it seems to work for them (???)
Attached Thumbnails
bf3.jpg  
Old 12-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #22

British Columbia
Franswa I think your wrong about why they went belly up

Quote:
I live on Vancouver Island, where there are a LOT of BF trailers BTW....

BF is still located in the original factory in Armstrong...from my research it seems that BF started by manufacturing truck campers and was very successful doing that...that led to manufacturing small trailers (17s) around 1980 and that line proved to be very successful as well...eventually larger trailers were added to the line

sometime in the early 2000s the company branched out again, this time manufacturing smallish motorhomes and larger hardwall trailers with a new new name (Columbia IIRC).....this expansion proved to be a disaster and pushed the company into bankcrupcy in the middle of that decade....

the story I heard is that a number of senior and long time employees were successful is acquiring the company and reorganized it into what it is to this day...

the new company made a decision to position itself as a high end manufacturer of truck campers and trailers only... with prices to match.....indeed the 17.5 now manufactured would not appeal to a first time buyer given its high price compared to similar, at first glance, trailers......IMO these seem to be targeted at owners of older BFs....who love them much and now have more money to spend on the "next generation" edition.....all trailers are now insulated better (and maybe built better?) than anything else on the market...the 21s and 25s you could live in full time pretty easily....

the company only manufactures what it can sell from year to year...it spends nothing on promotion/advertizing....even its website is never updated....it does not have dealers, it has "factory outlets" (14 across north america)....these outlets seem to seldom have models on their lots and when they do they sit there for a long time (price)....

unconventional to say the least but it seems to work for them...

for a long time BFs were the only small FG trailers that had insulation and interior walls throughout....compared to other FG trailers they were heavier and their shape (large flat frontal area) made them harder to tow than the competition that featured less weight and a better aerodynamic shape....(there is no free lunch however...the BF generally featured measurably more storage area because of it)

just one mans opinion...happy trails all........F
: but you can have your opinion and I have mine, the part about being hard to tow is not so much they are square but it is the width of these trailers are greater than all the other smaller trailers. I believe my 1986 was 7.5' wide with awning 8' wide, no ac, plane jane but worked for us at the time though the truck I used was not made to tow this kine of trailer as it was more hot rod.
Stude
Old 12-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
agree....

given the article posted my timeline was off a bit....there was more to it than just expanding the product line.....the "financial crisis" played a role....but Casita, Scamp, etc survived....the earlier expansion into other product lines probably weakened the company making it vulnerable...and it all came tumbling down in 2008.... like so many other entities

the larger frontal area I referred to is in width (full 8 feet wide while others are 7) and flat front/top area (where others are rounded shapes...at both ends)....I know it is a "liability"....and I "pay" for it on the road and at the gas pump....the flip side is ALL those cubic feet of storage contained in those areas...good spot for storage of light stuff like clothes, bedding, etc...and there is tons of it

Having said that it probably works out better for me than most as I don't generally tow very far...as I tend to stay on the Island

there IS no free lunch
Attached Thumbnails
dresser1.jpg   dresser2.jpg  

rewp2.jpg   rewp4.jpg  

Old 12-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Suggest you read this news story and then comment.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
comment?

yeah I read that when posted earlier...sounds like the business got reorganized in 2010....and is still in production....given the 2016 models offered for sale

Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer
Old 12-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #26

British Columbia
Franswa, pretty hard for us to go backwards as we have

Quote:
given the article posted my timeline was off a bit....there was more to it than just expanding the product line.....the "financial crisis" played a role....but Casita, Scamp, etc survived....the earlier expansion into other product lines probably weakened the company making it vulnerable...and it all came tumbling down in 2008.... like so many other entities

the larger frontal area I referred to is in width (full 8 feet wide while others are 7) and flat front/top area (where others are rounded shapes...at both ends)....I know it is a "liability"....and I "pay" for it on the road and at the gas pump....the flip side is ALL those cubic feet of storage contained in those areas...good spot for storage of light stuff like clothes, bedding, etc...and there is tons of it

Having said that it probably works out better for me than most as I don't generally tow very far...as I tend to stay on the Island

there IS no free lunch
a class A now with a walk around queen bed, no one has to crawl over the other to get to the loo also the loo is now in it's own room, were not all that big really little less than 26' more room than one needs for a 3-5 month trip. Though as I age I'm finding that those long trips are getting shorter Now I would head to a spot that we like and park for a while, take some tours and learn more about the area.
I really picked up some kind of Bug last week and it is slowly working on me, got rid of most of it except for this damned hacking Cough, I go for about 20 min. then I cough for 45 minutes and even drinking bottle of water does not stop it.
My wife says she will kick me out to the MH on Friday if it does not quit.
stude
Old 12-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #27

British Columbia
Glen I can only blame their problem on the USA's Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Suggest you read this news story and then comment.

and what happened in 2008, all the American car companies in BC a 3rd of them had to shut down to, ship their cars and trucks south to companies who at the time could ill afford them.
I know when all those bigfoots came back to Armstrong that was the time to buy them because the Liquidators were selling them off at cost or less. Some real good buys back then right up into 2010 and maybe longer.
But they are back in business making a better unit than before.
I think if the US models when through what this company had just gone through they would be gone to.
The other item your companies only built a few at a time and or when an order came in then they built one, they did not grow and still are not large companies u still wait for 6-7 months for a new trailer plus look at the market u have in the USA, look how many people live down there to the few million who live in Canada.
Stude
Old 05-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #28

Name: john
Trailer: shopping
Arizona
Is your trailer still for sale?

Tags
bigfoot