B1700 SGH FS in Calgary, Alberta. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
B1700 SGH FS in Calgary, Alberta.

I was about to post this to Kijiji and Craigslist but thought I would offer it here first. Especially since the snow is still flying and the trailer is still sitting out in a field, trapped until the ground dries up. I'm hoping to get some pricing feedback before offering it on the open market. Looking at the B1700's that have sold in the past, in 'original condition' (30 year old cushions, curtains, pinstripes, and fiberglass) in the $7500 range, I'm hoping that a unit that has had significant effort and love put into it, with a ton of extras and demonstrably functional appliances, should fetch in the $9000 range?

The reason I'm selling this trailer is that we only used it once last year, twice the year before, and we just bought an acreage with cottage so the trailer would just sit in storage for the foreseeable future. Our recreational needs have changed from camping to cottaging/sailing. There are a few finishing touches this trailer needs but they're purely minor cosmetic things...

Here's the text of the ad I was going to post. I'll try to add a photo or two as well. Here is the FGRV running thread from purchase through the work and to completion:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...esh-28904.html

---

For sale, 1979 Boler 1700

I bought this trailer in spring 2007, in all original condition, 30 year old cushions, curtains, broken heater, leaky windows and all. Since that time, I put an immense amount of effort into making it a cozy, solid camping machine capable of longer term disconnected camping.

This trailer comfortably sleeps 4 adults and 1 child (up to 8 or 9 years).

Everything works and can be demonstrated to work:

- Furnace
- water pump
- toilet
- shower
- lights
- hot water heater
- fridge (propane, 110vac, and 12vdc)
- 4 burner stove
- oven

Major tasks and items include:

- strip old moldy and crumbling interior insulation right down to bare fiberglass
- weld 2 new bunks out of aluminum tubing
- install new closed cell foam insulation and tan fuzzy innerliner (professional RV insulation and liner)
- repair and recondition fiberglass hull (I was a professional marine fiberglass tradesperson in the past)
- new curtains, new cushions and foam.
- welded aluminum bed rail for upper kid-bunk with new cushions, ladder, and LED lighting.
- laminate flooring.
- paint hull with Endura industrial polyurethane paint
- apply front rock guard.
- springover axle to raise trailer a few inches for better clearance to your favourite fishing hole.
- rear trailer hitch receiver for your bike rack.
- replace old furnace with new electronic-ignition furnace, insulate for noise reduction and vent to front and rear of interior.
- furnace heats fresh air from outside to eliminate condensation while sleeping.
- replace lighting
- new kitchen counter top and back splash
- remove and re-seal all windows
- new rooftop vents.
- new 3 post awning with ropes and stakes.
- interior screen door to keep bugs out but air flowing while camped.
- 55W solar panel with charging controller (panel is now cracked but still works)
- dual deep cycle optima batteries
- 700w inverter to run your laptop or what have you while disconnected from the grid.
- Marine switch and fuse panel
- dual propane tanks with auto-cutover valve
- front cargo rack for batteries, propane tanks, firewood, cooler
- cargo rack also has a swing-up BBQ platform with hookup to propane system.
- 4 RV scissor jacks for levelling and stability while camped.
- 3 new tires and rims
- spare tire mounted under front tongue with tire winch.
- new tongue-crank (removable)
- sway-bar
- propane / CO detector
- fire extinguisher
- exterior motion sensing light
Attached Thumbnails
P1040485.JPG  
Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Herb P
That's one nice looking rig.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040484.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	35024
Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Real gem
Old 04-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #4

Name: Molly
Trailer: currently shopping
Yukon Territory
Im assumiong a 1700 is a 17 foot - is that right? What does it weigh?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Elizabeth View Post

Last time I weighed it at a roadside scale, it was 1250KG (2755lb). That's ready for camping but empty tanks. Ready for camping means all the stuff I usually take to the campground including awning, chairs, propane, batteries, blankets, pillows, dry goods, wiener sticks, games, etc ...
Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Elizabeth View Post
oh, yes. 17 foot.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #7

So I'm about to post this trailer for sale publicly but the market around here seems odd... Largely stock trailers for $7500, and 13 footers for close to $6000... So what should a trailer such as mine, given its condition, fetch in terms of a fair price? Going $1500 over a stock unit doesn't seem like too much to ask but $9000 for a trailer such as this seems astounding...

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb P View Post
So what should a trailer such as mine, given its condition, fetch in terms of a fair price?

Anyone have any ideas?
From what I have read about your trailer in the past, I believe $9000.00 is a FAIR price. However my partner says:

"Back away from that computer! Now!!!"
Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
mac

Name: peter
Trailer: '80 Boler 17'
British Columbia
It will take the right buyer but that is a killer 1700 and worth every penny.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #10

That seems to be the problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
It will take the right buyer but that is a killer 1700 and worth every penny.
Finding the 'right buyer'... So far I've had one person actually come to look at it and based on the questions he was asking, he wasn't interested in this trailer. He was trying to make up his mind between the 13 and 17 for his North American Tour... Wish I'd known that before I changed a bunch of plans to accomodate his inflexible schedule...

The rest of the contacts have been from people in other states and provinces who want me to take lots of pictures and send them but as it transpires, they already have Bolers or similar and want renovation ideas...

To make matters worse, as I was out testing all systems before the non-buyers visit, I checked the toilet flush but some sort of return spring snapped and flew out of the toilet. So while investigating that, I discovered that the toilet had previously been repaired with epoxy, paper clips, and pieces of door hinge and was now beyond repair... So I've bought a new toilet and will have to install that...

sigh...
Old 06-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #11

Well, we sold the trailer to a friend of ours who wanted to upgrade from their 13 to a 17... I didn't get the asking price but and after replacing the toilet, I'm even further behind, but it's ok. The trailer did build a lot of memories and was good to us in the few years that we did use it.

So if anyone is looking for a 1973 white/advocado Boler 1300 in Calgary, drop me a note and I'll pass you over to the new owners. (I don't know what they decided on as an asking price yet).