ON Bigfoot 2500 series B175CB, too heavy for me. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #15

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dunsmore View Post
That Bigfoot listed is a 17' CB....exactly what you are looking for. All Bigfoot TTs are listed as a 2500 series.

2500 Series Travel Trailers - Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer

Don,
I found the document for the specifications for 2006 Bigfoot.

http://www.bigfootrv.com/docs/brochu...20Brochure.pdf

On the page 25 you can see for the 25B175CB.
Its dry weight is of 2885 pounds, without the extra as air-conditioned air, battery, and more.

For a 15B17CB, the dry weight is 1885 pounds.

You can access others owners manual on the next internet link :

Owners Manuals - Owners Center - Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
It would be helpful if all Bigfoot owners would use the correct model name of their trailer. Mine is a 15B17G. The "15" means it's a 1500 series. The "B" is for Bigfoot. The "17" means it's a 17 foot trailer. And, the "G" means it is a gaucho model.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #17

Quebec
Registry
Many owners do not know the specifications of their trailer.
I am afraid of thinking that I found and arrived on the spot, disappointment the trailer is too heavy for my vehicle.
If I would have a big vehicle I would have no question on the weight and I would have probably already completed my research.
I do not want to cross 4 provinces and to return without trailers.
The time which I question about a trailer to be sold, it is sold before I received my answers.
A day will be mine, patience...
Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #18

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
weight....

this is from a 93 B17CB.....1017 KG = 2237 lbs (that's the empty weight coming out of the factory)

when towing boats the often used rule of thumb is: find the "brochure" tow rating of any vehicle, take 20% off that and if you stay at or below that for the trailer weight you will never have a worry or problem...on the flats, hills, whatever...
Attached Thumbnails
missed9c.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #19

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
this is from a 93 B17CB.....1017 KG = 2237 lbs (that's the empty weight coming out of the factory)

when towing boats the often used rule of thumb is: find the "brochure" tow rating of any vehicle, take 20% off that and if you stay at or below that for the trailer weight you will never have a worry or problem...on the flats, hills, whatever...
Hello François, saiy me if I understood well and if it's o.k..
This rule could be use and adapted according to every situation.

My car rating is = 3500 lbs
less 20%_____ = 700 lbs
------------------------------
Difference ------= 2800 lbs

2800 lbs should be the ideal weight for the total weight of the trailer towed by my vehicle.

My ideal weight ___ = 2800 lbs
The factory weight _= 2237 lbs __( 15B17CB )
__________________----------
Difference ________= _563 lbs

563 lbs is the weight which I can add, to stay in the ideal weight for my vehicle.

Watch out the rating because, for my vehicle, is for two people in the SUV. If I increase the number of people the ratio changes... Each has to consult the index form of its tow vehicle.

I communicated with the company Bigfoot, if possible to question a charter for the various models?

Grant Bilodeau, from Bigfoot, answered me that when the caravan is sold, the weight of this one can have been changed, according to the modifications made by one or several owners.

The factory weight can have been changed, if the customer makes additions on his trailer.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #20

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Grant is right. Most of us make modifications that can change the weight. At that point the only option is to have the trailer re-weighed, but of course that's a problem if you don't yet own the trailer.

Walt
Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #21

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Grant is right. Most of us make modifications that can change the weight. At that point the only option is to have the trailer re-weighed, but of course that's a problem if you don't yet own the trailer.

Walt
You are right Walter.
Since I began to look for a caravan, I was never able to obtain the present weight of the caravan, we always give me the weight of the index form and still if they kept.
When I will be going to take out my caravan this spring, I will go to the weighing to be able to answer adequately when I shall put selling, having found Bigfoot which I look for.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Boats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

I can't see how that formula has anything to do with towing an FGRV.

1. Travel trailer brochure weights are frequently imaginary numbers for bare bones rigs that don't even exist in the real world.
2. FGRV's are usually carrying a lot more stuff that boats when being towed, typoically 500 - 750 lbs including supplies, onboard water and "stuff".

It might work for boats, but not FGRV's, fergetit.....
Old 04-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #23

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I wouldn't go that far. At least it's a baseline value and you can add, say 500 lb and get a rough idea. But the best answer is still to take it to a scale.

And with Bigfoot at least they do give you the actual measured weight as it leaves the shop.

Walt
Old 04-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
yes and no, Gilles....

in your reply to my "20%" post you are mixing up GVWR and GCWR....

GVWR applies to all vehicles like you car, your trailer... individually. Every vehicle has one and it determines how much you can carry in it (by substracting the listed empty weight from the GVWR)

Your tow vehicle has a TOW RATING listed by the manufacturer and you will have to go looking at the spec. sheet (owners manual) to find that.

Where you went a bit astray is you started to talk about GCWR (the C stand for combined) and is the TOTAL weight of car/truck AND trailer AND everything carried in both (GVWR+GVWR)....like if your whole rig was on a dept. of highways scale and loaded to the allowable maximums. This number will probably be listed on the sticker on your drivers door (along with the GVWR as well)

the "20%" rule of thumb is just that...lots of people will have a tow closer to the actual listed tow rating for a car/truck...and do just fine...as long as they don't mind taking a long time to get to speed and crawl up hills....think of it as the difference between towing in Florida and Colorado...or driving comfortably relaxed and "whiteknuckling" it
Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
boat?....have to disagree...

when I'm leaving for a 4 day trip in my RV I know that I can stop here there and everywhere to pick up "stuff" easily (Walmart? Liquor store?)...when I used to leave for a four day cruise on my boat I had to pack EVERYTHING I was going to use/consume for that whole trip....knowing that I could not just stop along the way and buy anything I "forgot" I used to pack way more than I should probably.....lots more weight than in my RV.

you might have been thinking of a runabout launching for an afternoon....I was referring to a "cruising" trailersailor....
Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
and as an example...(20%)

my tow rating is 4700lbs....the GVWR or my BF is 3500 (about 20% less)

I would not want to tow any more....I tow on a lot of two lane roads that, often times, include hilly terrain....I don't like to see a long line of cars behind me in my mirrors.....and I don't....just sayin'
Old 04-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
bottom line...

When a vehicle is designed/spec'ed at the factory...it's all about engineers sitting around a table....when it comes time to list the tow rating...they let the marketing guys into the room...

it's interesting that lately "frontal area" seems to enter the general discussion....don't remember that from 10-20 years ago...
Attached Thumbnails
church5.jpg   sig3.jpg  

Old 04-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #28

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
[QUOTE=Franswa;514402]this is from a 93 B17CB.....1017 KG = 2237 lbs (that's the empty weight coming out of the factory)

My 1994 Bigfoot has exactly the same information on the build sheet on the closet door. The only difference is the certificate number. Mine is #653339. Just one number before Franswa's. Mine is titled as a 94 but was built in September of 93. What are the odds that 2 trailers weigh exactly the same ? What I find interesting is that the weight of both trailers is 1017 KG. Makes me think they do not weigh every trailer.

The Bigfoot sales brochure shows the weight of both the G and CB models to be exactly the same at 2100 pounds. Every time I've weighed my trailer it has a total weight of 3300 to 3400 pounds with about 400 pounds on the tongue. Whenever I weighed my trailer it was on a truck scale which is graduated in 50 pound increments.

I am towing with a Tacoma 4WD and I'm well below it's tow limits. Most of us know that factory weights are sometimes unrealistic but we also should be aware that truck scales along the highway can provide you with information that is very helpful but if you are approaching the maximum of your limits a more accurate scale giving exact weight would be a good idea.

Tags
bigfoot