CO Playpac Hitch-Hut RV - Restoration Project - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Playpac Hitch-Hut RV - Restoration Project

Playpac Hitch-Hut Restoration Project $750

This 1973 Playpac Hitch-Hut molded fiberglass trailer is a restoration project. I recently bought this trailer intending to restore it, a fun hobby I've indulged in for more than ten years, resulting in two FG trailer restoration triumphs. Now officially retired, my significant other and a nagging back injury has changed my mind about taking on another project. As well, after moving, I no longer have a heated space where I can work on it over winter to prepare it for summer camping.

About This 1973 Playpac Hitch-Hut

You may recall that the Playpac is fiberglassrv.com member Steven Whysel's brainchild, he is the originator of the Playpac. He personally responded to questions I asked him about this trailer. (Profuse thanks to you, Steven!) As well, Buggeee, another FGRV genius who is currently superbly resurrecting another Playpac, has been instrumental in advising me about the best way forward in making sure this exceedingly rare trailer ends up in capable hands that will see through a complete restoration. I'm told there are only 10 known remaining Playpacs still in existence of 150 made and are a cult favorite of classic VW bug cars.

I've gone over this trailer pretty thoroughly to determine the best course for restoration. It's in fairly rough shape and is a candidate for frame up TLC.
Condition...

The trailer is completely gutted inside, something a previous owner did, so, that saves having to tear into that part and which leaves a new owner a blank slate to customize the interior to their own liking. (You'll definitely want to study Buggeee's threads for inspiration and outstanding technical know-how.)

The trailer has a wooden floor in it installed by a previous owner. inch ply atop treated 1x4 slats. I believe a previous owner had discovered that the bolts securing the body to the frame had rusted and become loose, necessitating adding bolts into the frame through the wood floor. This configuration appears quite secure even though my personal preference would be to remove the wood floor and body to access the entire frame for a thorough inspection, refurb and repaint.

The fiberglass body needs repair as there is a tear near the front of the trailer indicating that a hitch mishap caused the trailer to detach itself from a tow vehicle. As well, various screw holes in the side of the body from previous mods(?) would need to be patched, including spider web fractures likely caused by normal road hazards. Lastly, there is a cut-out on the driver's side from a previous side-mounted air conditioner install which could be reused.

The windows all need to be refurbished to replace the screens and weather seals. All but one window have the original plexiglas panes except one, which I replaced because the original was broken. The bubble dome window needs to be replaced; a temporary (flat) plexiglas pane currently covers the hole.

Some of the original wiring is intact although it has been cut in places. The newer brake and turn-signals work fine for towing purposes, upper lights do not.

The original hitch is too far gone and I will replace it as closely to original condition as materials are available to make it reliably roadworthy.

The trailer had been repainted, most likely with canned spray paint. The poor paint job, likely done years ago, is semi transparent, obviously showing how thinly the paint had been applied. Repainting over it should be an easy, desirable affair after the fiberglass is repaired. There are no runs or sags in the paint so a light sanding would easily prep the surface for a good paint job, after which the trailer would look great.

Recent vintage tires are in excellent condition and a marginal but serviceable spare is included. The trailer pulls beautifully as light and interior-free as it is.

On October 10, 2017 I had the entire hitch, crank and tow chains replaced, including deteriorated sections of the frame. This trailer can now go anywhere, safely.

Other Issues:

No Title - You may have to have your local authorities inspect the trailer to obtain a license plate after restoration. Colorado issues temporary plates for transport purposes to other states. I cannot locate a frame VIN number so a new one may need to be affixed, again, by local authorities. I will gladly supply a bill of sale. VIN numbers were not issued in Florida in 1973. Instead, the trailer has a serial number stamped on the fiberglass shell.

I originally posted a ballpark price at $1500 for this diamond-in-the-rough as I prepared it for safe towing to its new home; then dropped the price to $900 but have since determined that a $750 asking price is reasonable considering its rarity and because I really want someone to tackle restoring this rare trailer. It deserves to be brought back to life and enjoyed.

If you are in Colorado or an adjacent state I would consider delivering it for a reasonable transportation fee and/or meet you half-way.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #2

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
How tall is it? I'm wondering if it would fit in my garage...

Old 11-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
How tall is it? I'm wondering if it would fit in my garage...
I'll measure it in the morning and let you know. Thanks for asking!
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #4

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Where in Colorado is it located
Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Where in Colorado is it located
Hi,
We're in Mosca, Colorado. Just a 5 miles from Great Sand Dunes National Park, in Southern Colorado.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Colorado
The Playpac trailer is 7 feet tall.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #7

Colorado
SOLD! Thank you Danny and Joyce!

Many thanks to Danny and Joyce for agreeing to purchase my Playpac trailer. They put a deposit down on it today and are making plans to pick it up around Thanksgiving. A pleasant conversation with Danny convinced me that he and his wife will do their best to resurrect this rare RV and put it back on the road as a shiny, premium example of creative restoration. Thank you Danny and Joyce!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Dang Tony that was fast I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Here's a link to the Samba Post I just threw out there for you, which is now irrelevant.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=689851

Congratulations Danny and Joyce!!!! I hope you have a Beetle. If not, you'll be bitten for sure, see you over on the Samba.

Later Eggers
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post
Dang Tony that was fast I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Here's a link to the Samba Post I just threw out there for you, which is now irrelevant.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=689851

Congratulations Danny and Joyce!!!! I hope you have a Beetle. If not, you'll be bitten for sure, see you over on the Samba.

Later Eggers
Oh man, Buggeee, I had no idea you were prepared to preempt my ad. You'll be happy to know however, that I'm confident that Danny and Joyce will do it justice. You are the man! You've just reconfirmed my faith in humanity so profuse thanks to you!

I'll be following your threads to keep up with your progress as I hope Danny and Joyce do as well. There's nothing like seeing talented people doing good things.

Regards...
Old 11-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
saleman

well sounds like buggee is the top dog salesman of these trailers around here.

I hope the couple who bought it gets a blast out of it! Recently we were trouting at a state park and a couple showed up with an old playmor 13f they had completely redone.

on the outside white with mauve trim including those funny looking wings. Anyone recall those?

bob
Old 11-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
well sounds like buggee is the top dog salesman of these trailers around here.

I hope the couple who bought it gets a blast out of it! Recently we were trouting at a state park and a couple showed up with an old playmor 13f they had completely redone.

on the outside white with mauve trim including those funny looking wings. Anyone recall those?

bob
Buggeee is a first rate gentleman! Wings? Can't say that I've seen one like that before! Did you get a picture?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
traailer redo

tony as I think about this a 13f Shasta comes to mine as they had the wings!

scratch the other one?

bob

Tags
fiberglass, hitch-hut, molded, playpac, restroration