12 volt air compressor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm planning a long road trip this year, after I have my siatica problem taken care of, and I'd like to buy a good, reliable 12v air compressor to take along. My intention is to go to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. When I get up far enough I expect to reduce the air pressure in my tires somewhat to help avoid flats caused by the road surface; I think the reduced air pressure will aid in this. Anyway, when I'm on the return leg I'd like to be able to re-inflate my tires to normal when the road surface allows this. I'm carrying two spare tires during this trip because of the trip destination and expected road surface.
conditions.

Does anyone on the forum carry and can recommend a 12v air compressor thaqt can be used for this purpose?

Thanks a heap. Russell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:15 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I carry a small Campbell-Hausfeld from Wally. Second one down looks like the one. Small enough and cheap enough to carry two.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/catalo...p?cPath=2_205_8

The ones where you can put your TP gauge on it without disconnecting are useful, as is an on-unit power switch. I have re-inflated truck tires more than once (inc reseating the bead).

I used it a lot in AK/YT/NWT/BC because on the really back roads I would lower my tire pressures to protect the tires and then need to air them back up on the paved highways.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I purchased one of the units where you dial in the preasure and it shuts off when it gets there. Very usefull because it takes quite awhile b4 it gets there.

Here are a couple examples:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ssearch=2000420

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6895_200356895

http//www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200356895_200356895
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #4

Pete, Darwin....thanks so much for the prompt reply to my query....I'll check out the links you guys provided....earlier this year I was "way out" in the Northwest Territories and wasn't able to deflate my tires, which I certainly should have done on some of the roads I was on. Would you believe, I FORGOT to search out a compressor before I left on the trip, though it had been my intention during the planning stage of my trip. mThanks again.......Russell
Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Quote:
I'm planning a long road trip this year, after I have my siatica problem taken care of, and I'd like to buy a good, reliable 12v air compressor to take along. My intention is to go to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. When I get up far enough I expect to reduce the air pressure in my tires somewhat to help avoid flats caused by the road surface; I think the reduced air pressure will aid in this. Anyway, when I'm on the return leg I'd like to be able to re-inflate my tires to normal when the road surface allows this. I'm carrying two spare tires during this trip because of the trip destination and expected road surface.
conditions.

Does anyone on the forum carry and can recommend a 12v air compressor thaqt can be used for this purpose?

Thanks a heap. Russell

I researched this and settled on a Master Flow MF-1050. It was one of the higher capacity compressors. It is supposed to go to 120 psi. You hook it direct to the battery. It would be too much for a cigarette lighter plug. I found mine at Pep Boys for $59.95. Do a web search. You can find out all about it and possibly a get better price.
Attached Thumbnails
Master_Flow_MF_1050.JPG  
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Compressors and bicycle pumps seem to come in two basic formats; one is pressure over volume and the other is volume over pressure.

The El Cheapo C-H above, at $20, goes to 250psi, but takes a while to get there and gets hot. That's why I recommended two, but haven't had one actually quit yet.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I researched this and settled on a Master Flow MF-1050. It was one of the higher capacity compressors. It is supposed to go to 120 psi. You hook it direct to the battery. It would be too much for a cigarette lighter plug. I found mine at Pep Boys for $59.95. Do a web search. You can find out all about it and possibly a get better price.
I bought one of these pumps at Costco about a year ago. There great.
I was in Costco today and they still have them for $49.95.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
William,
First let me say that I am envious. I wish I was able to go with you. When I attempted the trip to Prudhoe Bay in 2002, a mid-summer snow storm closed the pass and I didn't get past Coldfoot at mile 175. Time constraints didn't allow me to wait it out. A month later, I made the trip up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik, where I was thankful for the extra spare tire and lots of sticky tire plugs. I had purchased a Truck Air 275 compressor from Auto Barn before making the trip and it has turned out to have been a good choice. I use it often. It is a little slow but has never over heated. Just make sure that you get a compressor with a cooling fan.
Truck Air 300 on sale at:
http://www.autobarn.net/achd-275.html
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Russell
Have a great trip up to Alaska.....Your old Casita is doin fine. Hope to see you again
Joe Z
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #10

Thanks a lot to all who answered my query. I've looked at several of the links provided, though I haven't decided on a specific unit yet. I've started to think about a compressor/emergency starter combination, so that changes things a little. Also, I had lower back surgery this past Tues to correct a severe sciatica problem I've had for the past three months. Doctor says I shouldn't start the trip for another month at the least. I'm unable to take pain medication of any kind except tylenol, so this recovery is going to be really painful. My compressor search will need to wait a few weeks. Once again, thanks everone.....Russell
Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
conditions.

Thanks a heap. Russell

I looked around and found some ratings by the off-road crowd. Based on their reviews I bought from Amazon.com : Q Industries MV50 SuperFlo... $54.99 1 $54.99

You might find it elsewhere for less, but I doubt it. It has clips to connect to the battery. It is a heavy duty unit, and not one of the cheap plastic things.....
Don Jarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I looked around and found some ratings by the off-road crowd. Based on their reviews I bought from Amazon.com : Q Industries MV50 SuperFlo... $54.99 1 $54.99

You might find it elsewhere for less, but I doubt it. It has clips to connect to the battery. It is a heavy duty unit, and not one of the cheap plastic things.....
Costco, $49.95.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote