12 Volt Evaporative Cooler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody 1999
Has anyone had any experience with this cooler? The web site is hard to navigate but the gist of it seems to be a small cooler that will work on both 110 and 12V battery and doesn't need any outside venting. It could be a good solution for a dry climate.

Web Site: http://www.swampy.net/index.html

Nancy .
Nancy A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
TurboKOOL - <span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">solar or 12-volt</span>

I just ran across this item and it seems to have possibilities in lowering costs to stay cool. It fits the standard RV roof openings and could pay for itself in two summer months.

http://www.turbokool.com/cooler.html

On the site they claim:
This unit really cools! It also uses a lot of water. So far we've camped in temperatures up to 115 degrees with the RV sitting in full sun. At 105 to 115 in the mid to late afternoon we need to close the bedroom off, but the front of the RV stays livable at around 85-90 degrees. At lower temps, around 100 depending on the humidity, we can keep the whole RV comfortable and the front cooled down to about 80. That's very good. Compare these results to using one 15000 BTU roof AC unit and the Solar Chill out performs the AC in 100+ degree weather. Note that our RV is 30 amp service, so even when we're plugged in we can only run one roof AC unit at a time. And the Solar Chill runs from our batteries and solar panels 100%, no generator use necessary! The Solar Chill has a timing board that cycles the internal water pump off and on at intervals. This saves water, saves power, and actually cools better I'm told. When the fan alone is running it draws about 3.5 amps, and when the pump kicks in it's around 4.7 amps.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Swamp coolers are good in AZ except July and August then they're worthless.
Once the humidity rises above 30% if I recall they lose the effectiveness. If you're in a humid climate won't work period. When the conditions are right they are really a good alternative.
Many of the houses here have dual systems installed. They use the Cooler until the monsoon season and then they kick over to traditional AC.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Has anyone tried http://www.kooleraire.com/ ? I like the idea, but would it work in our campers?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I thought the Kooleraire sounded familiar:
An A/C made out of a Cooler, Anyone have feedback on this item, a topic started September last year.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
I have tried regular evaporative coolers and they work under certain conditions.

I have not tried this one but it looks like as long as you have ice it should cool. The advantage I see is that the cooling is supplied by the ice and not water evaporation as in a regular evaporative cooler.. In high humidity a regular evap cooler just adds more humidity.

This unit also will ad moisture to the air so may not work in hi humidity.

It looks like it recycles air through the ice chamber so should keep cooling the air as it passes through.

A/C units take moisture out of the air and cool circulated air by heat exchange through the evaporator. That is why they drip water as it is removed from the circulating air.
Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody 1999
The Kooleraire has pretty awful reviews on Amazon. Also its fan is so small I doubt it would do much in a trailer interior.

The Turbocool sounds like it is the perfect thing for dry climates. It is very lightweight by itself altho the water adds another 25 lbs. I wonder how fast it goes through the water reservoir? In low humidity it might not make it through the night if you were hand filling it.

Anyway I am going to research it further and since my campground is a RV parts store I can order a few and at the White Mtn Rally we can install them as a project.
Nancy A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
The turbo cool is the best so far I have used too and the best rated in tests...Even though its better at cooling incoming ambient temps...Its also better at using water, that's the trade off in evap cooling...the plus is for what it does it has one moving part "the spinning inverted funnel" and it uses less power doing the job...not to mention it brings in outside air on a constant basis which is essential to good operating principles with this tech...you cannot recycle the treated air thru these units because all you will get is a swamp effect no cooling...you must be treating dry hot incoming air to work the best.

Quote:
http://www.turbokool.com/cooler.html

On the site they claim:
This unit really cools! It also uses a lot of water. So far we've camped in temperatures up to 115 degrees with the RV sitting in full sun. At 105 to 115 in the mid to late afternoon we need to close the bedroom off, but the front of the RV stays livable at around 85-90 degrees. At lower temps, around 100 depending on the humidity, we can keep the whole RV comfortable and the front cooled down to about 80. That's very good. Compare these results to using one 15000 BTU roof AC unit and the Solar Chill out performs the AC in 100+ degree weather. Note that our RV is 30 amp service, so even when we're plugged in we can only run one roof AC unit at a time. And the Solar Chill runs from our batteries and solar panels 100%, no generator use necessary! The Solar Chill has a timing board that cycles the internal water pump off and on at intervals. This saves water, saves power, and actually cools better I'm told. When the fan alone is running it draws about 3.5 amps, and when the pump kicks in it's around 4.7 amps.
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, air conditioning, evaporative cooling, swamp cooler, swampy