1250 lbs. capacity axle versus 1650 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
this is my first post and question about 13 foot bolers. am asking this question as i intend to buy my first boler soon in ontario, canada. i also intend to drive my boler to southern united states and mexico to escape our beautiful winters. i read in the 1977 brochure (thankyou for that info) that the scout model has a 1250 lbs. capacity axle versus the voyageur/deluxe model having a 1650 lbs. capacity axle. is this something i should be concerned about when buying my first boler and heading out on a long journey? thanks for any insights - jim and cynthia

Cynthia MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Hi Cynthia welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

Most torsion axles have a life of 15-25 years. Boler has been out of production for a very long time. Whether or not the axle has any bounce left is more important at this point than the weight limit on the axle. If you find a Boler of your dreams, finding out if the axle has already been replaced, with what weight rating and whether or not it has brakes are all important questions to ask.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Number one... get the trailer
Pack up all your stuff and go camping.With all your goodies inside the trailer may actually weigh anywhere's up to about 1800lbs. If the trailer leans to one side or has no bounce left then it's time to look at the axle. Mine had sagged about 1 1/2 inches on the kitchen side, which is where it will normally show, but was still towable. We have changed axles this summer and now have a 2500 lb rating. Tows GREAT.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
thanks james and donna for the info. will be looking at a 1973 boler soon and will ask the owner if the axle has been replaced as it is certainly past its life span. good to know that when i look in the rear view mirror a bouncing boler is a beautiful sight.
Cynthia MC is offline   Reply With Quote