12v system - got to redo the Suehaul input please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The first owner of my 91S13 was a lady who liked to camp at hookup parks, so she ordered it with a converter and no battery -- My camping style is different, so I have a battery and no converter -- What works for one may not work for all!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
I bought Sue knowing that I have to work on the electrical system. Reading the manual and checking the systems, I think the old inverter is toast. So, keep everything 12v as much as possible? If I eventually want to work in a solar panel, what inverters do you recommend or use. I want to keep the wire to a minimum.

This summer I will camp with or without power.
Don't the uhauls have a solar panel built in? Was yours removed?

Pam

Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The trick with inverters is to mount them as close to the battery as possible because the voltage drop in the 12VDC wire is more significant than that in the 120VAC wire.

Just to be sure, you are talking about inverter that changes 12V to 120V, not a converter that changes 120V to 12V....
Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
SW Ohio
Wow, thanks everyone. This gives me a lot to think about. Right now, I have to think about how to put everything in it's place. KISS is my mantra, but I'm married to a 120AC guy. So, currently I'm working on what I really want vs what Walt can live without. Oh, the old solar panel is there, but I haven't had time to see if it is working. Like it snowed for 3 days...no accumulation though.

Time to draw up schematics.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Don't the uhauls have a solar panel built in? Was yours removed?

Pam
Hi. I have a UHAUL, too, with some pretty cruddy old wiring, which is why I'm reading this thread. Here's my understanding of the solar panel -- derived from the UHAUL documents for renters & repairmen: it's just a trickle charger, and while it'll keep the battery from completely . . . I believe the right word is discharging . . . it won't charge it enough to boondock and run your lights, and in my case, dorm fridge. Anyone care to confirm or deny? I'm a total electrical novice ;-)
Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #20

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I think that's right, Julie. I believe it's only something like a 10-watt panel, which, like you say, would not be much more than a maintenance charge (over a period of time, too ,not quickly).

Raya
Old 04-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
I think that's right, Julie. I believe it's only something like a 10-watt panel, which, like you say, would not be much more than a maintenance charge (over a period of time, too ,not quickly).

Raya
Thanks, Raya. I've been camping in the only deep woods of New England with the UHAUL -- makes it hard to tell if anything solar is functioning! And I'm slowly building my understanding of even my simple little system. These forums are a godsend!