13 or 16? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
It must be nice, being able to buy a tug just for, well, tugging.

But for me, the vehicle works as a tug only 5 or 6 weeks of the year. The rest of the time, it is mostly a one- or two-passenger vehicle; does it make sense to spend 46 weeks pouring $2+ petrol through a gas hog just to get towing performance for those precious holiday outings?

Old 11-30-2005, 03:10 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
And that’s one of the puzzles everyone makes a decision about right there, isn’t it? Potentially underpowered and potentially unsafe for a few weeks to be fuel efficient the rest of the year. I say “potentially” because underpowered and unsafe are all functions of the variables I mentioned earlier.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:29 AM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
And that’s one of the puzzles everyone makes a decision about right there, isn’t it? Potentially underpowered and potentially unsafe for a few weeks to be fuel efficient the rest of the year. I say “potentially” because underpowered and unsafe are all functions of the variables I mentioned earlier.
And that's a good point Steve. And underpowered doesn't necessarily mean unsafe, nor does adequate power necessarily imply a safe towing rig.

Roger
Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Right! With a big engine you might find yourself going too quickly. By itself, underpowered is normally just a satisfaction issue, not a safety issue.

I doubt I can throw any more weasel words at it, and it's a generalization, but often underpowered means lighter suggesting that the trailer is a larger percentage of the total weight. When the tail weighs almost as much as the dog, who's wagging whom.

We're just debating where the dividing lines are placed. And, to my mind, it's a bit of a fruitless debate. By definition, satisfaction is subjective. And the part of safety that is a function of driver skill is as well. One driver might report spinning off the road, another would never have gotten into that situation.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
When pulling my 13' trailer with my small Toyota truck, I have not found that breaking is an issue. I also find I do not drive very fast either, especially on corners. I have this sensation of the egg tuning on it's side. But I do not drive in the rain or in snow/ice, etc. I'm a sunshine, warm weather traveler and limit winters to the south of the southwest of the USA and into Mexico.

Large cities and freeways have gotten uncomfortable to tow in for me. Too many vehicles and the driving skills and considerations of many drivers seem to have eroded. Either that or I'm getting old as they say. So speed is not an issue in these situations either. I do not do much passing other vehicles when towing with a 4 cylinder.

If I could own any tow rig that I would also use as my get around vehicle when not towing, it would be a small truck with a larger V6. Best of both worlds for me. I find that installing a fiberglass shell on the pickup gives just enough weight to make the rear end stable.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
When pulling my 13' trailer with my small Toyota truck, I have not found that breaking is an issue...
I've said this before, and I'm sure I'll say it again:
Never having found braking perfomance inadequate does not mean that the brakes are good enough, just that they have not been needed - yet. I'm sure many drivers could go for years with only two brakes of the four working on their car and not even notice - until they had to stop due to the actions of another driver, or a pedestrian or animal crossing the road. A rig with no brakes on the trailer is like a car with no brakes on one or more wheels, as far as ability to stop is concerned (control is another subject...), because the weight on the trailer tires is not available for braking traction, and the braking performance of modern vehicles is limited by traction.

Of course, every situation is individual. My light utility trailer, towed by a van which weighs four times as much empty as the trailer would full, does not have brakes (although I would prefer if it did). My Boler's loaded weight is over half of the van's weight - I towed it home without working brakes, knowing that I did not have the braking potential which I should have; it now has properly set up brakes, and I would not consider a trip without them. I suppose a 13' egg behind a one-ton pickup might not be so bad, but just about any other travel trailer situation without trailer brakes seems unnecessarily limited in performance to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
California is very anal about most all of its laws. If the powers that be say trailers 1500 pounds and less do not need brakes, they (Highway Patrol) must have data to back their decision.

But, But, But, many 13' trailers weigh over 1500 pounds when loaded. So this would be borderline for safety. Brakes, tires, road conditions, tow vehicles all come into play. Lets not forget about SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a safe distance when following other vehicles. Safety is a many faceted subject.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #22
pelagic sailor

Thanks to all for the varied comments. Some very good points to consider. I am hoping to atttend the Scamp get together in Seabring in February as it is not too far from my house.`Perhaps I will get a chance to tour the 13 and the 16 then. Thanks again for the info.
Semper Paratus

Tom
Old 11-30-2005, 05:22 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Thanks to all for the varied comments. Some very good points to consider. I am hoping to atttend the Scamp get together in Seabring in February as it is not too far from my house.`Perhaps I will get a chance to tour the 13 and the 16 then. Thanks again for the info.
Semper Paratus

Tom
That is an excellent idea. In fact, if you're interested in seeing a Casita, if you contact the manufacturer, they keep a list of owners who are willing to let prospective owners tour their trailers. You may find several trailers within a close proximity to view.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #24

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
That is an excellent idea. In fact, if you're interested in seeing a Casita, if you contact the manufacturer, they keep a list of owners who are willing to let prospective owners tour their trailers. You may find several trailers within a close proximity to view.
As does Scamp. You can call their factory for owners of their trailers near you as well. Going to a gathering is one of the best places to discuss what folks like and dislike about their particular brand, size and options. It's also a great place to find folks who use their trailer the way you want to use yours and hear their tips and hints.

Happy hunting!

Roger
Old 11-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Potentially underpowered and potentially unsafe for a few weeks to be fuel efficient the rest of the year.
Every motor vehicle is "potentially unsafe." And "potentially underpowered" might be less dangerous than "potentially overpowered" - look at the data for pickups and SUVs.

The dangers of driving have less to do with the vehicle than with the driver. Studies have shown that every driver drives according to his own perceived acceptable level of risk - and that the safer a driver thinks he is, the faster he's likely to go. Try driving a freeway during low-visibility and icy conditions and see who's bombing along in the fast lane as if the sun were shining; odds are, it ain't the "potentially underpowered" vehicles - it's the Big Boys.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #26

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
and that the safer a driver thinks he is, the faster he's likely to go.
Thus, my comments and observations in another thread about the seemingly invincible 4wd in the snow.

BUT... I will offer my opinion on a 13 vs. a 16, no matter what you are pulling it with.

This only applies to MY needs, and I would say I am typical of a solo traveler. Your "milage" may vary. I am assuming you are solo as well.

13s have less systems to set up, for the most part, and if one is "one" things like full baths and stuff become relatively unimportant. No one cares if I use a porta potty in the middle of my floor. Who am I going to offend? The dog? I have no preference to where my hands get washed, they get just as clean in the kichen sink water as the bathroom sink water.

I don't need a large fridge, and I certainly don't have to worry about scooting by someone, so the open floor space in a 13 suits me just fine. (I have actually had more than one Casita owner sit in mine and revel in the open space, the Casita 16s have more "stuff" but they seem a bit more closed in because of it)

I have less to set up, less to tear down and seem to want for nothing, even a shower (See Ken James shower thread, mine is similar)

All the ammenities are nice, but for one person to do all the handling, set up and etc is a bit much. I would rather be on the road, or napping.

There are several solo guys here living in thier 13s on the road. I am somewhat jealous. I could easily do so in mine.. but my boss may get a little annoyed if I kept not showing up

Look at a 13 and see if it will work for you. If you find it to your liking, all the worry about your tug will melt.