13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
Texas
13' Scamp

I have been searching all over Texas and half of Georgia for a scamp or Casita for my budget of 5k. It appears that I'm not going to find one with that budget. At least not one in good enough shape that I'm gonna part with 5k. The ones I looked at, I wouldn't give 3k for and the sellers wouldn't budge on price. However, I found one in horrible shape. It has nothing left inside and the floor is rotten. It is nothing more than a shell. I don't know what year it is, but I assume it's from the 70's. I can get it super cheap or I wouldn't even consider it. I would like to drag it home and work on it on my days off. Part of my brain says it's not worth the trouble, but part of me would like to give it a shot. I have zero experience in doing this sort of repair, so I guess that's what drawing me to it. I have many hobbies from woodwork to painting, so I'm always looking for something different to try.

The rivets are going to need replacing. Problem is, how's a fellow to know what they went to? I would like to do my own thing as far as cabinets, bed, seats and table go. I guess I could always repair what holes I don't need and put new holes where I want, but I don't know if that is a smart move.

Has anyone here attempted anything like this?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
What you are proposing will be a challenge without some past experience with FGRV's, but may be just what you want to attempt.

Usually rivets are missing when cabinets have been removed. If they are also missing, while they are available from Scamp, (if it's a Scamp that is) that's a major loss.

If Super-Cheap is a lot less than $1000, and you don't place to high a value on your time & labor, you may come out OK. But keep in mind that a lot of gutted trailers are just someone else's project that they discovered they couldn't finish either.

Take a good look at the mechanicals and the appliances, they can all be very expensive to replace and some, like the refrigerator or a sagging axle, are nearly impossible to repair.

I could write a list for parts that will give about 40 Ben Franklins a new home when restoring a gutted SCAMP, and your labor will still be free....

My suggestion, keep looking, look further afield and, if necessary, try to raise your budget a bit. Buying the best you can is almost always less expensive than rebuilding a gutted shell.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #3

Texas
Thanks Bob
Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Part of me says run, far and fast from this project. But, the other part says if super cheap really is super cheap (my super cheap is far less than the $1,000 noted above) you might as well drag it home and "stabilize" the rig while you continue to research repairs and buying something else. If nothing else comes along continue your project to at least a useful state and enjoy it for what it is. So, I would pay a little for this rig (with clear title, of course) park it out back and at least repair the floor and running gear. From there I would see what kind of support the roof needs and design some cabinets/supports that fits my needs/anticipated usage. Throw some pads on the floor and go camping in your new "hard side tent". If you do decide to get rid of it a lot more people would be interested in a more solid, if still a shell, trailer and you should have no trouble getting out of it reasonably. Whatever happens though, your labor is forfeit to the deal and is the cost of doing business (labor of love).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #5

Ya BUT... If the op ties up some of his limited capital in a "Maybe" trailer, that makes it that much more difficult to take up on a bargain should one come along.....

And the way it seems to work... as soon as you buy one that's just OK, your dream rig comes by and you can't do anything about it.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #6

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And the way it seems to work... as soon as you buy one that's just OK, your dream rig comes by and you can't do anything about it.
Yes but, also the way it usually works is if you DO NOT buy the other rig your dream rig NEVER comes along.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #7

But when it comes by, and you can't buy it, Joe down the street does buy it and you have to look at it for the next 3 years while he does nothing to it and it sits unloved in his driveway and becomes worse than the project you just bought.

IMHO: Always buy the best you can afford up front, it will cost less by the time it is done.

Been there, Done that.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #8

Texas
You both make excellent points. I can get it for about 500.00

I know of another one that's gutted and they want 1500, but I'm not about to spend that kind of money on a gutted trailer. I don't mind hard work, but I really don't want to attempt something that will be an impossible feat.

Several thoughts have crossed my mind.

1.Can I get it back in useable shape? In a reasonable amount of time?
2. What if the axle is sagging? Bob mentioned this would be a tough fix.
3. What about the missing cabinets? If those cabinets provide structural support, how would I know where to put them?
4. The plus side of it being gutted, I can arrange the space to suit my needs.

Lots to consider.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:17 AM   #9

Again, based on the WAG that it's an early Scamp, (answers about other makes will vary considerably)

1. We would need a lot of details about condition and pics, as well as some knowledge about your skill sets to even make a WAG on that one. Rest assured that, from your description, that I wouldn't make any reservations for this summer.

2. Sagging axles are "replaced" and most of the real work is writing the check. I think that about $1000 is a valid average number for parts and labor. There are a lot of threads on this topic in the archives.

3. As Scamps were pretty much the same for many years, all you would have to do is look at another similar rig to see how the cabinets are installed. As mentioned, in most cases new cabinets are available from Scamp (for a price) The lower cabinets one could build, but the upper ones need to be original types (Fiberglass), and the original securing holes will still be there to indicate locations.

4. A gutted Scamp is a blank canvas, but it's a canvas about the size of a large postage stamp, somewhat limiting much variety. If you look at the dozens of different 13' "Eggs" built over the past 40 years you will find very little variation in floor plans. The biggie being what's in front, a couch, mini-dinette or a loo.

Best of Luck.....

Old 05-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

Texas
Well, I figured I was the only nutcase that wanted it, but someone bought it. Ah well, hope whoever bought it turns it into something useable again
Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #11

North Florida
No worries, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Was not meant to be, don't cry over spilt milk. Better days are ahead. Always look forward, not back. I’m out of clichés, but you get the idea. I missed out on the first FGRV I had a shot at, the second did not get past me.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #12

Texas
Hey guys, keep me in your thoughts and prayers. We found one in our budget!!!! I'll give details if I get it. I gotta travel a really far to pick it up, but I couldn't find one locally! I pray it works out!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #13

Texas
Well, that drive was a bust! Headed back to Texas. Aw well, it's a pretty drive.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #14

Well, at least tell us what happened, and you learned, and what you will do differently next time before hitting the road to look at a wild goose again.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #15

Texas
Hmmmmm. What did I learn? Well, I learned 5k isn't gonna get what I want, but you had already told me that. Laughing!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #16

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I'm in the same boat Anthony. I'm looking for a reasonably priced Casita Patriot. I want it with a "loo" to quote Bob. It's only my wife and I and we don't like to walk across the park in the middle of the night. I've run across a few but they cost more than a newer 16'. I even had one person tell me they paid $1500 to have it delivered and was adding it to the price! I have seen a lot of 13' Scamps but they're usually too far from South Texas. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #17

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
took my wife a year checking 4 websites 3 times a day to find one under 5k - ended up being a 16' and not a 13' like we wanted but man the extra room is going to be nice.

i havent started adding receipts yet but id guesstimate by the time we are rolling down the road im going to put in another 2k. You 'can' learn to do anything it just takes research, research, research.... and it just depends how you value your time when it comes to doing the work. of the month its been in my garage, there have only been 3 nights i havent done something to her...and we could have taken it camping the day we picked it up!

stick with it.
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #18

North Florida
I've kept pretty good track of my expenditures on the rehab of my 1988 Scamp 16 and I have an easy 2K in it beyond the purchase price. A large percentage of that is in the new axle, tires, rims, & yes even lug nuts. If you figure any indirect costs like my labor, equipment & supplies I already had (welder & MIG wire, torch & gas, grinder & disks/flaps, wire & connectors, nail gun & nails for the trim, etc., etc., etc.) it could run another one to two thousand easily. And that is on top of starting with a very solid trailer with no rot. One little bitty bulb for a side marker light was $2.50! They came two to a package for $4.99 plus tax so I have a spare to loose. It all adds up, but hopefully next week at the beach my daughter and I will have a wonderful time on our maiden voyage in the Scamp and it will all be worth it!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #19

Spoiler Alert:

I am officially declaring May 31st as being the end of the "Reasonably Priced" (Ha!)FGRV buying season.

As many have already seen, prices have been climbing since early March and, from June 1st on, the procrastinators will start paying ridiculous prices for any FRGV that the sellers claim is "Ready for Camping".

BTW: This claim will be made even if the axle is collapsed, the tires are 10 years old, the refrigerator hasn't worked in 5 years, and it is still titled to a guy in Timbuktu that owned it 7 years and three owners ago.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #20

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
whew.... good thing we got in on the ground floor when there was still remnants of morning frosts and pop-up snow showers!
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp