13ft vs 16ft and other quest. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am about to buy a new camper and need some serious help. I need one quick, but am having trouble deciding on a size.
I just sold my 1977 Komfort 17'. I didnt mind the size... sold it because it was old, had issues and was an eye sore. However, in buying a new one I thought it would help to go lighter. Now I did load the Komfort up with clothes, my bike, generator etc.. so that didn't help.

My question... I was looking at the 13' Scamp.. but having trouble finding one. Now considering a 16'... thinking it will still be smaller than my old camper.

My questions:

Is it hard to remove a top mounted AC? I just don't like the look... and don't need an AC but MAYBE 2 weeks of the year.
Found a 16' but wasn't fond of this feature.

Is it hard to install a furnace if one was never there? I didn't have a heater in my last camper.. and my dogs water would freeze in hours in the camper.. Many nights getting into the low teens and colder. I wouldn't hate being warmer.
Found a 13' I like with no heater.

My BIG question is: Does anyone know how much lighter these trailers are compared to an old Komfort?
If it is considerably lighter.. then a 16' wouldn't be a huge issue. And its not my tow vehicle that is the problem... its just gas going every weekend through the mountains.

I am worried I am going to get the 13' then wish I had more room. It's me now, 2 small dogs.. and sometimes a friend tags a long.

I am going back and forth..... and have searched but I must be a keyword idiot, I just turn up too many results.
Its amazing how hard it is to find one when you have cash in hand ready to buy. I cant spend another weekend in a hotel!!!! I only have a short warm season I can camp anyway.

Thanks for any advice and help.

If it matters, I never camp with hookups.. usually in NP campgrounds or forest land.
Melissa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Hi Melissa,
I just posted a 16 Scamp for sale this evening.
It weighs 2300-2400 pounds loaded up for a trip. - No roof ac, but I have a window shaker that fits in the back window for those 2 weeks a year. It has a propane furnace.
Pictures and details:
Scamp 16
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't know how much a camper like your old one would weigh, so I can't compare to that, but I would not be surprised if it were 2500#+

In general, the 16s are heavier that the 13s. Not just because of the size, but because they tend to have more features: Bathrooms, more closet space, etc. Casitas seem to be quite a bit heavier than Scamps. Now, that said, you can look for a "light" 16. The extra room might be nice with your two pups. On the other hand, many of the 16s don't have that much more floor space. What happens is that they are like the 13s on the ends, and then, instead of having a more or less square open space in the middle, they have a slightly longer "aisle" like space. Not that that is bad; just something to think about.

I tend to think that a 16' Scamp would be rather lighter than your old stick-built; a 16' Casita might be nearer to the same, but... I can't say for sure.

You can remove an AC unit. They may even have a hole that fits a standard 14" vent, I'm not sure.

You can also add a furnace, but be aware that they use electricity for the (required) fan. Some of the older furnaces don't use electricity, but you can only find them used or perhaps in an older camper you are buying.

For searches, let me suggest using Google to help you: Simply type your search terms into a Google search box followed by site:fiberglassrv.com

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #4

Raya, You are a wealth of information!! Thank you!

So you are saying the furnaces in these campers only work if you have electricity? Or is that just for the fan.. but otherwise they will still produce heat?

My old one did have a propane furnace that had a pilot but I was too chicken to ever try it. Even had the lines replaced, but I looked at that old thing and never had the guts.. just piled on more blankets.

While I do not need a bathroom, I really want a smaller dinette.. ( as mentioned in my previous post) so thought it might be easier with the 16'.... than trying to do mods myself.

Of all the things I missed on my old camper.. a work table was one and a heater second. I could survive without a heater, its only a month or so on each end of the season.

I just googled and NADA says its 2760. I assume thats empty and without half my wardrobe and toys.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi Melissa,
I just posted a 16 Scamp for sale this evening.
It weighs 2300-2400 pounds loaded up for a trip. - No roof ac, but I have a window shaker that fits in the back window for those 2 weeks a year. It has a propane furnace.
Pictures and details:
Scamp 16
Willar.. I saw it and I like it. I was only concerned about the distance. I was looking at a couple in Oregon, and that was already going to
be a 3 day trip. I know it sounds like I am being picky.. but it tacks on a lot of money gas wise and being away from work.
Also, if I go up to the 16 foot, Im debating the bunk beds, since I will only use the bottom bunk. As I said before I really need a work table.
I wonder how hard it would be to put a table in front of that couch? I have no need for an AC up here. I am from Texas, they have no idea here what summer heat is.

I am a photographer.. so generally I am out the door by 4-430 am and back at 8-9sih pm. I want to leave the back dinette a bed and just hop in.

I am obviously indecisive. Its a tough decision as I spend almost half my week in the camper.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #6

Is there much difference in width between the couch/bunk bed cushion and the dinette cushion? I don't have large friends, but I want them to be comfortable.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Melissa,

A couple of notes:

1) The furnaces that have a fan generally seem to require electricity to power the fan. In other words, you cannot run them without the fan (at least the ones I know of). Now, that electricity can come from a battery, but they do take a fair amount of juice over a night.

Some of the older campers have "gravity" propane furnaces, that did not have a fan, and require no power. These are not made anymore for some reason.

2) I hear you on the work table. I sometimes like to do projects and like to have a workbench/work table. I change my camper around several different ways depending on what I have going on. I have a 13 foot Boler.

A) Somtimes I made a full width table about the size of the couch in the front (over the couch space). I can then put a chair or stool in the middle (so I'm facing the window) and sit there if I want to. This of course is for when you are solo or sharing the double bed.

B ) I've slept on the front couch (back/bunk removed for more space), and made a little U-shaped office type area where the rear dinette is. Office type chair in middle of U.

C ) Currently, I have the full time "double" bed in the back, and one thing I find indispensable is that I have a "table" across the foot of the bed (it runs parallel to the kitchen, as if it were an extension of it). This gives me an ~18" x ~42" table/desk, and also I can put my sleeping bag under it during the day. It's just a lightweight piece of 1/4" ply with cleats under it which spans between the table support in back and the sink counter. Easy peasy.

D) In the front, I have the couch (with matching "counter" over the kitchen end), and sometimes I put the bunk top back in and raise it to give me more "surface" space.

E) I may make a dinette in front.

I guess you can tell I like a bit of flexibility - it just depends on what I'm doing at the time, and if I have a friend along or whatever. Maybe I'm anti-social (no, no need to answer ), but I can't imagine sleeping with two or three friends in the camper (i.e. needing the bunk for that). More than one and a tent would be set up!

One other note is to consider how often you really would have people along. Not to say you wouldn't, but in boating I can't tell you how many people lug along an extra 10' of boat for those friends that "might come along" but never actually do (or very rarely).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Quote:
Willar.. I saw it and I like it. I was only concerned about the distance. I was looking at a couple in Oregon, and that was already going to
be a 3 day trip. I know it sounds like I am being picky.. but it tacks on a lot of money gas wise and being away from work.
Also, if I go up to the 16 foot, Im debating the bunk beds, since I will only use the bottom bunk. As I said before I really need a work table.
I wonder how hard it would be to put a table in front of that couch? I have no need for an AC up here. I am from Texas, they have no idea here what summer heat is.

I am a photographer.. so generally I am out the door by 4-430 am and back at 8-9sih pm. I want to leave the back dinette a bed and just hop in.

I am obviously indecisive. Its a tough decision as I spend almost half my week in the camper.
Hi Melissa,
I know all about geographically undesirable --- I just picked up our new trailer in Reno

We left the dinette made up as a bed and ate off a folding table in front of the couch when we did eat outside.
The couch would work as a bed fro an adult, but the top bunk is only suitable for a child.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Melissa,
I know all about geographically undesirable --- I just picked up our new trailer in Reno

We left the dinette made up as a bed and ate off a folding table in front of the couch when we did eat outside.
The couch would work as a bed fro an adult, but the top bunk is only suitable for a child.
Well let me know if you are planning a trip to the WA/ID border.. oh say in the next couple of days.

Your two pooches look like my two Havanese. Same colors.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Have you considered a Scamp 16' with side dinette? Leave the large dinette in bed mode. Use side dinette and switch it into a bed nightly for friend when along. Lots of storage and a room for a porta-pottie (or toilet/shower). I also think the SD model feels more open than the others.

We upgraded from our modified 13' to this when we added child #1. The two of us (plus 95 lb dobe) were really happy with the 13', but I don't know that I would be comfortable sharing that small space with anyone but SO. Of course that's a matter of personality.

We agree with you on the A/C! We didn't want the extra weight nor the disruption of airflow for towing. Also felt that the rooftop versions are too noisy and too cold. I'll think about building a contraption so I can pop a little A/C in a window, but I'm in no rush.

Our 16' is bare bones so should weigh empty at close to Scamp statement: 1,750 lbs. Add gear and we're something over 2,000.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry

Melissa, I own a 16' and I have used it on my own often. When I first got it I thought that using the bed at the back was the only way to go. Over time that has proven in my case to be incorrect. When on my own I found using the front bunks the best option. When my large dog was still alive he took the larger bottom bunk and I took the top bunk! LOL Otherwise it got a bit crowded on the bottom bunk if he decided he had to join me - he could not jump up high enough to get at me on the top bunk. LOL Without the dog the bottom bunk is more than big enough for me and the table at the back can stay up and you don't have to fuss with putting it up and down everyday. I have also on occasion had 4 people and 2 large dogs stay in the trailer and everyone is fairly comfortable. I have also found that leaving the bunks up all the time is the best option for me as you can use the upper bunk while parked to put all your frequently used items up and out of the way on with out having to dig into the closet all the time and it also keeps the back table clear for eating or working. I also have photography gear that I like to have close at hand on the upper bunk. After I found that the bottom bunk is just as comfortable for sleeping on as the back dinette bed I decided that my need for a double bed was not a great as my need to keep set up simple and fast and have the back table free to use at all times. :-)

A nice 16' can be hard to find so I think you need to be willing to drive to find one. I went from Vancouver BC to Idaho to get mine.

Good luck and I hope you find a trailer that works for you.

Carol

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote