16' Side Dinette, Deluxe, Wood Interior Weights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I ran a search and what I was looking for did not come up. Can someone tell me the empty tow weight and hitch weight of a new, 16', Side Dinette, Deluxe, with wood interior? Iknow the Scamp web site says 1750 total empty & 165 hitch weight -- but I'm betting that's pretty stripped down -- and no wood deluxe interior.

Thanks in advance for the Info.

Ed & Bev
Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I asked that once when there was one for sale. The owner did not know, but someone else responded that the Scamp 16' Deluxe was about 2500# empty.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Click on the following link and go down to posts #9, 10 and 11 and this may help you and it looks like there is more links in that topic that could possibly help. There are two newer 16' Scamps in that list
My 1994 16' casita sd weighs about 2100 lbs and 260 lbs at the tongue
Joe

posts #9,10,11:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;#entry326582
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Click on the following link and go down to posts #9, 10 and 11 and this may help you and it looks like there is more links in that topic that could possibly help. There are two newer 16' Scamps in that list
My 1994 16' casita sd weighs about 2100 lbs and 260 lbs at the tongue
Joe

posts #9,10,11:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;#entry326582
I think #14 comes close to answering the question. It's remarkable how much heavier this is on the tongue than what's published. Of course, the adverts give dry weights, and this one probably has two propane tanks that probaly add 50#. I don't know if the battery is part of the advertized "dry" weight or not.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks all - appreciate the link. Was shocked - almost double the manuf web site listing on tongue weight. Maybe the factory did the weight after just the shell was installed on the frame - no appliances, cushions, curtains, rat fur, or heaven forbid - the soap dish might have put it over the top.
Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Ours fully loaded leaving on a trip weighed in at 2580#.

Eric

Quote:
I ran a search and what I was looking for did not come up. Can someone tell me the empty tow weight and hitch weight of a new, 16', Side Dinette, Deluxe, with wood interior? Iknow the Scamp web site says 1750 total empty & 165 hitch weight -- but I'm betting that's pretty stripped down -- and no wood deluxe interior.

Thanks in advance for the Info.

Ed & Bev
Eric Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Ours fully loaded leaving on a trip weighed in at 2580#.

Eric

That number seems reasonable enough. Any idea of the tongue weight? That's what's holding us back.

Parker
Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #8

Eric - is yours a Deluxe? If so, how much "stuff" and water/propane, etc. did you have aboard?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #9

Parker,

That depends upon how you chose to load the Scamp. I try for a 10% tongue weight - so I shoot for around 260# tongue weight. That can easily go down if I carry more fresh water in the tank, or up if I put water in 5 gallon containers in various places inside the Scamp. We try to be very careful to balance the weigh side to side and keep around the 10% tongue weight.

Eric

Quote:
That number seems reasonable enough. Any idea of the tongue weight? That's what's holding us back.

Parker
Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 Series (25C9.6E 'Yeti')
Send a message via Yahoo to Pat And Arleen
When we had our 2003 Scamp 16' Deluxe with front dinette it was 2740lbs loaded ready to go. The tongue was at 240lbs.
Pat And Arleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Parker,

That depends upon how you chose to load the Scamp. I try for a 10% tongue weight - so I shoot for around 260# tongue weight. That can easily go down if I carry more fresh water in the tank, or up if I put water in 5 gallon containers in various places inside the Scamp. We try to be very careful to balance the weigh side to side and keep around the 10% tongue weight.

Eric

Eric,

Scamp suggested that I could do the same. Our tongue limit is 200#, so Scamp was suggesting that we could load the trailer a little aft and help keep things under control with a sway bar. That's closer to 8% on the tongue, which is at the light end of the recommended range. There is also some ambiguity in our Subaru owners manual. Their info references only the factory Class I hitch, and Class I hitches are limited to 200#. So I don't know if the number in the manual is driven by car limits (suspension, etc) or by their factory hitch. I talked with a factory rep who didn't have a lot to offer when I mentioned changing to a Class II or III hitch. Reese makes a couple of models for our car. My gut feel is that we can do it, especially if we're careful how much stuff we throw in the back of the car.

Thanks for posting. Actual weights and experiences really help!

Parker
Old 10-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #12

Parker,

If I were that close to limits, I think I would definitely look into a weight distributing hitch rather than just an anti-sway bar. I think if properly configured they can transfer loads to the front of the car rather than all the weight on the rear.

Eric

Quote:
Eric,

Scamp suggested that I could do the same. Our tongue limit is 200#, so Scamp was suggesting that we could load the trailer a little aft and help keep things under control with a sway bar. That's closer to 8% on the tongue, which is at the light end of the recommended range. There is also some ambiguity in our Subaru owners manual. Their info references only the factory Class I hitch, and Class I hitches are limited to 200#. So I don't know if the number in the manual is driven by car limits (suspension, etc) or by their factory hitch. I talked with a factory rep who didn't have a lot to offer when I mentioned changing to a Class II or III hitch. Reese makes a couple of models for our car. My gut feel is that we can do it, especially if we're careful how much stuff we throw in the back of the car.

Thanks for posting. Actual weights and experiences really help!

Parker
Old 10-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Parker,

If I were that close to limits, I think I would definitely look into a weight distributing hitch rather than just an anti-sway bar. I think if properly configured they can transfer loads to the front of the car rather than all the weight on the rear.

Eric

I'd love to try the WDH idea, but Reese doesn't recommend it for the Subaru. I got that from one of the factory tech guys and also checked with one of the local hitch installers who is very knowledgeable with this stuff. So I think it's going to come down to a Class II or III hitch and sway control with careful weight distribution, or just stick with our 13 for now.

Parker
Old 10-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #14

Well I have a pristine 2007 Side Dinette for sale if you decide to go that way!

Eric

Quote:
I'd love to try the WDH idea, but Reese doesn't recommend it for the Subaru. I got that from one of the factory tech guys and also checked with one of the local hitch installers who is very knowledgeable with this stuff. So I think it's going to come down to a Class II or III hitch and sway control with careful weight distribution, or just stick with our 13 for now.

Parker
Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #15

Raya,

Yes ours is the Deluxe and loaded with most all options. It had about 1/2 the freshwater tank filled, both propane tanks were full, all our clothes in, and most of the food in the fridge and cabinets. We tow with a Tacoma and we try to keep anything heavy in the back of the truck and not in the Scamp. I always do a tongue weight check before we head out and prefer it at 10-12% the total weight.

Eric

Quote:
Eric - is yours a Deluxe? If so, how much "stuff" and water/propane, etc. did you have aboard?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #16

Eric,

Thanks for the follow up. Sounds like yours and the one belonging to Pat and Arleen are of similar weight, so that's a decent baseline for decision making.

Raya