17' Boler Floor Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Name: D
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
17' Boler Floor Replacement

So, I just bought a 17' that is gutted and am looking at replacing the plywood floor. Can anyone point me at some floor replacement threads? I can't seem to search very effectively for some reason.

Has anyone replaced the plywood with aluminum?

Thanks.
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Try using the google search from the drop down arrow at the top. You can use the usual identifiers. e.g. " " + - ( )

A search using the words, aluminum floor, gave ten pages of results.

Here is one thread on an aluminum floor, a kind of foam aluminum.
www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/first-pictures-of-the-aluminum-floor-42850.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks very much for the links.

So, you mean the drop down arrow/search button in the main ribbon (starts w/User CP, end w/LogOut)? When I type aluminium (or aluminum, depending on where you're from) floor in there i get 4000+ hits, none of which seem to mean much.

Tried it with "", didn't help. I'm using chrome, would that matter?

At any rate, thanks for the links.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #4

British Columbia
Not flooring, subfloor

Ah, but I don't mean flooring, like the interior finishing. I mean the subfloor, the actual structural member. The plywood in my trailer is a little soft and I think I should replace it. But I'd prefer to do it in something that won't fail again in 10 years so was thinking aluminum.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #5

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
A plywood floor will last a LOOOONG time as long as your trailer isnt letting water in to get it wet. If you want extra security you can use some marine grade plywood.
My newly purchased '79 Scamp still has the original plywood subfloor and it is rock solid (carpet is removed so there is no question about the subfloor). In fact the Scamp has had slightly leaky windows for who knows how long- but none of them leaked enough to let water make its way into a puddle on the floor. Lucky me!
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

British Columbia
Yea, I was thinking that. But is it not exposed from the underside? I suppose it could be sealed from the underside as well.

Also, replacing the plywood means frame-off resto, right? The plywood sits on the frame and the egg sits on the plywood?

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #7

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
The Scamps are sealed on the bottom side with just a coat of epoxy, no fiberglass.
Sealing the bottom to keep road spray from soaking in seems like a great idea to me.
Many folks replace their floors without doing a frame off resto. A frame off is probably the "best" way but isn't possible or desirable for many.
Some sections of sub flooring would certainly be easier to replace than others. If you don't need to replace your entire floor then consider a partial replacement.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
[QUOTE=fatbob;322421]Thanks very much for the links.

So, you mean the drop down arrow/search button in the main ribbon (starts w/User CP, end w/LogOut)? When I type aluminium (or aluminum, depending on where you're from) floor in there i get 4000+ hits QUOTE]

That's it. Did you try filling in the bottom box - Search site / google?

I thought something was wrong with the spelling. Canadian vs USA ... I thought I was just getting old and senile.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I ONLY use this link to search FiberglassRV threads : Fiberglass RV Forum Custom Search Maybe this thread will help get you started: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...gun-32989.html ignore the topic title...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
[QUOTE=Roy in TO;322471]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob View Post
Thanks very much for the links.

So, you mean the drop down arrow/search button in the main ribbon (starts w/User CP, end w/LogOut)? When I type aluminium (or aluminum, depending on where you're from) floor in there i get 4000+ hits QUOTE]

That's it. Did you try filling in the bottom box - Search site / google?

I thought something was wrong with the spelling. Canadian vs USA ... I thought I was just getting old and senile.
This is one of the instances where Canada uses the US spelling. The British spelling has one more "i" in it and is even pronounced differently
as in "Al-you minnie-yum"
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler