19' Scamp for a Tall Person? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 19'
Virginia
19' Scamp for a Tall Person?

So I'm 6'4" but really want to get a lightweight fiberglass camper. There is a 19' Scamp for sale in my area and my wife and I are thinking about purchasing it. When we went to check it out, however, I found that I can only stand up straight in the entrance...I have to slouch/tilt my head to the side everywhere else. Having never owned a camper trailer before, I don't know if this would be annoying or not. I would obviously be spending more time outdoors, but we are planning on taking some longer (3 months +) trips. So, for those of you who are taller and have experience this....is it a big deal? Or should I quite worrying and go buy the thing already?!? Thanks
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

Name: Christian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Arizona
If it's a good deal, buy it. At 6'3" I became accustomed to tilting my head when standing. It's not as though you're going to be doing a lot of standing around in the camper as they're pretty crowded.
chrisblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:00 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would guess the bed would be too small for someone 6' 4" and if that is true then it would not matter to me even if the roof was 12 feet high.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:44 AM   #4

Virginia
The bed has actually been modified and I can lie down comfortably in it (with room to spare)!
Old 09-25-2019, 06:06 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Some people turn the loft bed longways and extend it over the front gaucho. The side bath is really cramped. Make sure to try that out.

You are a good candidate for an EggCamper, but they’re hard to find and most are all-electric. They’ve been out of production for several years, but there’s talk they may be coming back. They do have the headroom and bed-room you desire.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #6

Virginia
I was researching EggCampers and they do look great, but yes they do seem more expensive and much harder to find!
Old 09-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
Each to his/her own. I am tall and absolutely hate having to bend over all the time inside a trailer. It's hard enough to maintain good posture as it is w/o being forced to adopt bad habits.

The other POV is that tall people are often also larger people and a small trailer seems even smaller to a tall person. I had a 17' Casita and replaced it with a 17' Bigfoot and found the difference rather profound. The actual difference in dry weight is 50 pounds.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #8

Virginia
I had looked at the Bigfoot 17s but thought that they were much heavier than the Scamp 19s or Casitas because of the thicker fiberglass, so much so that a Toyota Tacoma v6 wouldn't be able to tow them fully loaded...am I wrong?
Old 09-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #9

Oregon
All I can say for certain is that driving a 17' Casita onto a scale and doing the same thing with a 17' Bigfoot, the difference was 50 pounds. That didn't include tongue weight so that's an unmeasured variable.

I am certain that plenty of people here can chime in as to what the dry weight of a 17' Bigfoot is. I do know that later models seem to have become increasingly more heavy.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #10

Oregon
Here's an ad for a 1980's B17 that says it weights 1900 pounds. I'd have to see that to believe it but that's substantially less than my 1005 Casita 17' weighed.
https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...igfoot-b17-667
Old 09-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
From the database...
Attached Thumbnails
bf.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Regardless, how the trailer is equipped and its age (designs have changed) have a significant effect on trailer weight.

As far as the Scamp, if stooping over bothers you, you will not be happy. As mentioned earlier, the Egg Camper is the best for tall people, but very hard to find and no longer in production.

The modern Bigfoot 17.5 will be close. It is rated at 6-4 interior height. It will weigh a lot more than the figures above. I'd call around to BF dealers and see if anyone has one.

Stuff that you find irritating can over time become deal breakers. It depends on how much it bothers you (it would bother me for sure!!)

The four season BF are nice trailers, but expensive.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettrae View Post
I had looked at the Bigfoot 17s but thought that they were much heavier than the Scamp 19s or Casitas because of the thicker fiberglass, so much so that a Toyota Tacoma v6 wouldn't be able to tow them fully loaded...am I wrong?
The difference is aero... Bigfoots are larger and square and present more frontal area. Parachutes are light but relatively hard to tow.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #14

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape Trailer Industries 5.0TA
Missouri
You could stand up easily in a Escape 5.0TA. It also has a standard queen bed.
skipperclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #15

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 19
New Hampshire
Not for the tall

I just spent the summer living in my Scamp 19 Deluxe. At 5'11" my head scrapes on the AC unit whenever I walk past it. However, the short bed is an issue if you don't sleep alone, and diagonally. If you can afford/find an Escape 5 I would go that route since its more than a foot wider and taller. That extra width and height also allows for larger cabinetry and storage.
Techscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #16

Name: CHET
Trailer: 2019 ParkLiner
NV
I have a new ParkLiner, which are a bit hard to find, but at 6'2" I have a little more than 4 1/2" of headroom. The AC is located over the rear dinette/bed (which is queen size) area so it's not a clearance issue.
ChetC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp