1966 Buco project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: 1966 Buco Industries
Alberta
1966 Buco project

So my 16 ft Buco project is almost at the painting stage and I am debating on what paint to use on the exterior. I have already sanded and repaired 50 years of wear and tear and am now getting ready to paint.
I am debating between using either the Interlux Brightside or the Rustoleum Topsider along with the appropriate primer coat. The Interlux brand is available locally, but the Rustoleum is available on Amazon.
Has anyone had any issues with either brand? Pros or cons between brands? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
pault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Never heard of a Buco
Can you post some pics
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Never heard of a Buco
Can you post some pics
Paul posted pics in the Show Us Your Rigs thread here, direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post737716
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #4

Alberta
I seem to have found a one of a kind rig. I have talked to local RV dealers, parts people, sales people and no one has ever heard of this manufacturer. I have searched online and cannot find any info on this company or other pictures of my trailer. I have even found old phone books from the 60's and 70's archived online and cannot even find a phone number.
When I had the interior stripped out I could see a ghost image on the gel-coat where there had been a vinyl or foil emblem above the back window, but not clear enough to make out any writing. I suspect the company was only in business here in Calgary for a year or so, made a handful of trailers, then went out of business. I may have to go to the city archives and see if they have any records of Buco Industries in their files.
So far it is a bit of a mystery....
Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is it fiberglass or some other composite material? In any case I hope you’ll post whatever you find for archival purposes. This site is a treasure trove. Lots of small manufacturers have come and gone, and it’s still happening. Best wishes with your research and restoration!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #6

Alberta
The body of the trailer is fiberglass. I did take a couple of pictures before I stripped it down and will try and post them sometime. I didn't keep the original floor plan due to a poor design with very little storage.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:47 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Buco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
The body of the trailer is fiberglass. I did take a couple of pictures before I stripped it down and will try and post them sometime. I didn't keep the original floor plan due to a poor design with very little storage.
Well saying something stupid never stopped me so here goes.
In the late 60s I had a Buco motorcycle helmet and a set of Buco heavy duty fiberglass motorcycle saddlebags. They were very well made and functioned well for me. Perhaps this would be a lead for the Buco company. Who knows what else they made.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Well saying something stupid never stopped me so here goes.
In the late 60s I had a Buco motorcycle helmet and a set of Buco heavy duty fiberglass motorcycle saddlebags. They were very well made and functioned well for me. Perhaps this would be a lead for the Buco company. Who knows what else they made.
Iowa Dave
bit of googling found this on an fleabay listing...

I note the strap has a 1977 date code.

so maybe same company, maybe not. the pritning on the box doesn't say where it was made.
Attached Images

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:54 PM   #9

Mid Left Coast
and a bit more googling... so probably NOT the same company.
Attached Thumbnails
17501400942_b3fef97f68_c[1].jpg  
Old 08-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #10

Alberta
Thanks for the replies Dave and John,
I have also come across the references to motorcycle gear when searching Buco plastic industries. The one website I found appeared to be written in Spanish or maybe Portuguese.
Also links to toy manufacturing, handbags and tires, as well as a hardware and building supply chain in South Africa and dozens of Italian restaurants all over the world.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I still have to check city archives for any records. Maybe this winter when I have more time!
Old 08-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Perhaps a previous owner was a motorcycle enthusiast, bought a helmet, it came with a sticker, so he stuck in on the window?
Old 08-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #12

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Perhaps a previous owner was a motorcycle enthusiast, bought a helmet, it came with a sticker, so he stuck in on the window?
there's a metal diecast plate with BUCO Plastic Industries, Calgary, Canada, a model and serial number, shown in the pics on the 'Show us your rigs' thread, here...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post737716

heh, serial 1009, model 16. I bet that serial is really #9 as they probably started at 1000 from the looks of the plate.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #13

Alberta
I am of the same mind in regards to the serial number. As far as calling my rig a Buco, I don't know what else to call it. The small metal tag is the only identification I found on the unit. Nothing stamped onto the frame or anything found inside when I was stripping it out. The only other info I have is the registration that showed it was built in 1966.
Maybe it was sold under another name, or by another now out of business company.
I will keep looking, more for curiosity than anything else.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #14

Name: richard
Trailer: "In the market"
South Carolina
Paint

Paul, Your original question was regarding what paint to use, so replying to that. I would recommend that you use an automotive paint if you want something that will last longer than a season; at minimum a 2 part epoxy.

I have used Nason paint for decades. It's durable, relatively inexpensive and easy to spray. I have even found it available in the local O'Reillys parts store.

Start with a 2 part epoxy primer and if you're going back white, simply use a urethane single stage white. Make sure to get a proper paint mask as the fumes can kill you otherwise.
tarpkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #15

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Buco also made fiberglass saddlebags for motorcycles
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #16

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
Buco also made fiberglass saddlebags for motorcycles
yes, but I think we established, its not the same company as made this trailer.

The motorcycle stuff was from Buco Products, a Division of American Safety Equipment of Michigan, in Southfield MI.

The trailer's name plate says its from Buco Plastic Industries of Calgary, Canada.