1970 Trailswest pop top & cushion issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
1970 Trailswest pop top & cushion issues

This may have been covered in other threads, if so I apologize

Does anyone have a source for the poptop canvass, a pattern, and hardware & also a source for cushion replacements ? Or does anyone have any of these items that they want to sell

We are located in So California

Thanks in advance
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have cushions that need recovering- I turned my bed into a permanent one with mattresses. I'm in Fresno if you could drive up to get them, no charge. I saved them in case I wanted to sell them with the trailer but I doubt that is going to happen before I want to move. They are ugly original fabric in mixed condition but the foam appears to be pretty good still (could be worse after four years in my garage than when I took it out of the trailer but if so they'd at least work as a pattern.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
1970 Trailswest pop top & cushion issues

Bobbie............I sent you PM regarding the cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I have cushions that need recovering- I turned my bed into a permanent one with mattresses. I'm in Fresno if you could drive up to get them, no charge. I saved them in case I wanted to sell them with the trailer but I doubt that is going to happen before I want to move. They are ugly original fabric in mixed condition but the foam appears to be pretty good still (could be worse after four years in my garage than when I took it out of the trailer but if so they'd at least work as a pattern.
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
This may have been covered in other threads, if so I apologize

Does anyone have a source for the poptop canvass, a pattern, and hardware & also a source for cushion replacements ? Or does anyone have any of these items that they want to sell

We are located in So California

Thanks in advance
I just took my TrailsWest to a local retired upholsterer.

She made my canvas for $100.00. It did not have any windows in it but it did have a screen in the back end. I installed it myself.

We both live near Lake Isabella which is 4O miles east of Bakersfield.

She will make your canvas up if you send her the exact measurements.

I can vouch for her abilityand honesty.

If your interested let me know and I will PM here address and phone #.

She is very good and her prices are very reasonable.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #5

Registry
John, was it any trouble reinstalling it? I have hesitated to take mine out because I was worried it might be. I can sew new canvas myself if I decide to but I'm not sure I'm competent to reinstall.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
John, was it any trouble reinstalling it? I have hesitated to take mine out because I was worried it might be. I can sew new canvas myself if I decide to but I'm not sure I'm competent to reinstall.
It was fairly easy Bobbie.
On the top there were trim peices covering the staples used to secure the old canvas to the top. I removed the trim removed the old staples and installed the canvas to the top with staples.

On the bottom I used screws with what I think are called upholstery washers.

It took about an hour.

All the work you've done on your trailer this should be easy for you.

Good luck,
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #7

Registry
A neighbor here had an old VW pop top camper...guess what, it is the exact same mechanism as the
Campster. And if you google replacement canvas for VW campers you can find parts for the mechanism. So far I have not found someone who does the installation, though, which from all accounts is a real pain.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #8

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Alan,

Most places that sell foam will cut the foam to order. Some places may even cover them for you, or an upholster will.

I have some cushions but am in SF Bay Area. I am also replacing the canvas (I don't know how to link to an existing thread). I am behind as I had a couple other projects to finish and now the school year is starting so I may not get to it as fast as I want.

I have looked at some of the VW camper replacements and some places will make them to order if you send them the measurements. I am making mine out of the rip-stop nylon used in tent floors. I am also planning on using some 1 in molding to attach the material to the frame.

Good luck.

Here is the link to the thread on my pop-top replacement process.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...top-47917.html

It is under problem solving. Hope this helps.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #9

Registry
I am much less worried about making the canvas replacement than installing it. But even before I do that I need to replace the edging/weatherstripping as it is dangling in spots. And I have a broken top spring that I didn't even know was there. I have no clue how I am going to be able to replace it as it isn't very accessible. But while I find lots of options for buying the replacement canvas I haven't found anyone who installs it, just references to it being a three person, two day job.